2024-05-10, 07:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Random map option (Option to select random maps)  (Read 6037 times)
Lightning Hunter

Imp

« on: 2004-02-13, 03:32 »

I can't remember if I asked this question before or not, but do you guys have any plans on adding an option in Generations to select a random map while in the game? It would be nice if, while playing against bots, I get bored, I could switch to a new map without having to exit back to the main menu to start over.  And for you guys who have over a thousand maps in your Quake 3 folder, you know how annoying it is trying to find new maps when you have to go through a hundred pages of maps to select a nice looking one.  It could be a menu where you press escape while in a game and click on a option "skip to the next random map".  It would be just as nice if you could bind a key to tell it to skip to the next level.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-13, 03:36 by Lightning Hunter » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-02-13, 05:43 »

That might be possible with some of the map rotation changes that have been considered, we'll have to see what Pho thinks of it though.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Lightning Hunter

Imp

« Reply #2 on: 2004-02-13, 05:51 »

Oh, and also, when I say random maps, I don't mean for the game to chose a random map from a chosen map rotation list, but a random map from all thousands of maps you might have lurking in your BaseQ3 folder Slipgate - Smile
This way, when you are in the game playing against bots, you could just hit a key or go through a menu to switch to the next random level, which could surprise you by being any map in your Quake3 folder (a map for that game type of course)  Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2004-02-13, 05:51 by Lightning Hunter » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-02-13, 09:07 »

If all goes well, maplists are going to be changed dramatically from the usual "vstr this, vstr that" format that's currently in use.  There will be a separate maplist.cfg set up for each gameplay type, and having a "random cycle without repeating" is something planned on for later.  As for just randomly selecting a map from your HD, that's something that's never really been brought up before.  I know the UI can parse any map, and I know the callvote menu brings up just about every map on your machine, so technically I suppose it's possible.  For a local bot game it could work, but I don't think it's a good idea for a server-side option.  We'll have to see when we get to tinkering with map rotations.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-02-13, 21:01 »

in my opinion there is 2 nice kind of ways to solve this for gen .
1) somekind of maplist file like quake 2 had with al maps under eachother .

else somekind of commando like this

maplist  "q3dm17,q3dm1,q3dm5,....."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: