2024-05-21, 16:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Modem (best for gaming)  (Read 10686 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« on: 2004-04-01, 18:58 »

Can anyone recommend a really good ADSL PCI broardband Modem for me?

The USB one I have that came free with my Broardband keeps dropping in games or just locking.

I don't mind the cost too much, (I've just had a bonus) I just want a fast reliable one.

OR tell me what to avoid!  Thumbs up!
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-01, 19:55 »

i whould use a modem with a network interface..but that's me dun like those USB and internal modems.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-01, 21:34 »

network interface all the way
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-02, 01:05 »

I'll check with Kenny the next time I speak to him.  I know he's real big on DSL and I think is currently running a DSL connection with Speakeasy.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-02, 18:48 »

Unless I hear about a better one, I intend to buy a sparkcom from a local company sometime next week.

I've got most of my gear from them, so I know what they're like.

I've read a review but it was written in 2002. Can't find anything newer so far. Slipgate - Smile
Lots of forums say USB's are crap for gaming. this much I know.
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-05, 07:44 »

Efficient Networks Speedstream 5260 has worked wonders for me.  it's an external ethernet bridge*, when combined with any cheap 10mbps network card, they'll do the job efficiently and reliably.  shortly before i moved in with kenny and lee, i got upgraded to 6.0mbps/768kbps.  keeping in mind that i lived about 11000ft from my CO, i was attaining real-world speeds of about 5.2mbps/580kbps.  pings to any server (with a decent connect) on the west coast have never gone above 50ms, usually they averaged 20-35.  cross-country ranged about 60-100ms, and trans-atlantic hit about 175-275.  i've also worked with the Speedstream 5251, an SDSL modem, and got nice speed, latency (or lack thereof), and reliability.

i consulted with kenny, and he agrees that the Speedstreams are about the best you're going to get, as far as consumer-grade equipment goes.  Both of us have had to reset our modems (10-second power cycle) about once every four months, but this could be any number of factors such as line noise spikes or excessive error accumulation (which plagues all bridges).

i've talked to my Speakeasy rep regarding hardware, and of the modems Speakeasy currently distributes (you'd have to buy a Speedstream third-party, i don't think many ISPs package them in their install kits any more), he said the BritePort (Broadxent/Creative) is one of the better models - that's actually what kenny (and lee by extension, as well as myself until i get my line moved here) is using now.  however, the rep said that the XyXel (or whatever that funky brand is) bridges are... horse manure.

* the term DSL modem is a misnomer.  "modem" is short for "modulate/demodulate", the process of converting digital data to an analog signal and back.  being that the DSL signal is digital in nature, no modulation is required.  the equipment is technically a bridge, connecting the DSL loop circuit to your local network (or computer directly)
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-05, 07:54 »

BTW, the two main reasons I prefer an external ethernet DSL bridge are:

* windows has built-in drivers for 95% of network cards.  internal DSL bridges generally require you to install additional drivers, which means looking for more floppies or CDs if/when you need to reinstall.  also, some like to package useless software that you "need" to operate said bridge properly, or take advantage of certain features.

* sharing the connection is much easier (and more secure) with an external unit.  buy a $35-50 broadband router, and it provides NAT (the most common method of connection sharing which coincidentally offers pretty good security as well), often along with other specific firewall features.  it also provides DHCP, so you can just plug all your computers into it, and they'll automatically obtain IPs on the internal network, while sharing a single external IP.  furthermore, the web-based configuration on most of the routers i've seen is much simpler and more flexible than windows' built in internet connection sharing.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-05, 22:08 »

Thanks. I will try and source the equipment over here. I only have one PC that is really used for the net (games) and so don't need to network really. But it sounds like a good idea.

At the moment my GF just uses the 56k I used to and it keeps her out of trouble.

I am new to broardband (jan this year, only got it for Gen and UT2004) so have a lot to learn.

Slipgate - Exhausted

Ps to all: having a nice time on holiday, in the land of castles and no decent internet connection  46K only.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-05, 22:12 »

You should be ashamed of yourself, using that precious precious broadband and making your GF use dial-up.  What kind of a man are you???
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-06, 00:27 »

I would heartily recommend acquiring a router, whether you are using only one computer or not.  A friend of mine got infected with CodeRed just by plugging her system in dialing up to the net after installing Win2K.  She was trying to get the updates that fix the security hole, and got infected in the process.  I rebuilt the system here and downloaded all the updates behind my router without any problems.  With broadband it is worse because your system is ALWAYS vulnerable, and as soon as you connect it you'll get a port scan.  I guarantee it.  I've used software firewalls when on dialup, and using a router that has NAT is 100x easier to configure and deal with, and is much more secure.  Most software firewalls like BlackIce and ZoneAlarm are crap, and unless you know how to manually configure TCP/UDP incoming and outgoing ports then the better firewalls are going to give you a lot of trouble.

Another nice feature of routers is that you can set the router as DHCP to obtain an IP automatically from your service provider, but configure your LAN IP's for each computer as static IP's.  This allows you to forward ports to specific computers, useful if you want to run anything as a server.  I run a Gen server for testing, so that makes my life easier.  You have to configure each computer for it, but it's not too hard.  If you don't need static IP then the router can act as a DHCP host itself, so basically you just plug the computer in and you're ready to go.  Also, if given the choice of hardwired and wireless, go hardwire if you can.  Wireless is a pain in the tail, and unless you have a wireless network card already there's no point to it unless you have a laptop with wireless and like to roam your building a lot.  I'm currently using a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router and I love it.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-06, 20:09 »

wireless internet is only good if your laptop has it (maybe some friends to ) and the teachers laptop has it  Slipgate - Laugh
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-06, 20:56 »

Smoothwall.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-06, 21:04 »

Hello again all.

My GF only uses 56K as she refuses to pay towards the broardband! imagine...

I will look into routers tomorrow in morpeth. (there is a town called morpeth up here)

The wireless networking is not for me. Why bother? plus - I am the teacher! (woodwork and stringed instrements)

I know bugger all about routers, so might just get an adsl pci so i can get in the games without crashing out again until I can sort a router out.

Heres where I am staying:
http://www.northumberland-cottages-hc.co.uk/Tideway/
It is owned by my GF, so I can't upset her about the broardband <3
thanks for the advice all.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #13 on: 2004-04-06, 21:53 »

I would second the Linksys Bfsr before a PCI deal.  I used that for a while, no problem getting in games.  The only trouble I had was file transfers using messenger type apps ( and supposedly I could have gotten that to work if I'd researched it a bit more).  Otherwise, everything worked with factory settings.
They are cheap now, too.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-04-07, 03:54 »

That's why I use Static IP and port forwarding.  I have no problems whatsoever transferring files or using instant messenger programs.

Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #15 on: 2004-04-07, 05:04 »

i can guarantee setting up a router is going to be just as easy as any PCI DSL bridge, if not easier.  with most ISPs, you can just plug the router into the DSL bridge, and then plug your computer(s) into the router, and you're set.  forward a few ports so file transfers will work right, and you'll rarely even notice the router is there at all... until you see the madly blinking lights on the internet side, with nothing blinking on the LAN side, indicating another IIS or Windows virus is hammering away at the router (entirely ineffectually), while you're safely tucked behind it Slipgate - Wink

also, you could be nice and just share the connection with your gf anyways.  when i was living at home, i let my parents use my DSL even though they didn't pay me for it.  they hardly use any of the bandwidth, so it's a convenience for them to not have to dial up, and have web pages and e-mail load faster, and as far as i see it, it's more networking experience for me (although i could set it up in my sleep with both hands tied behind my back).

regarding wireless, i would actually advise against it unless you need it.  in addition to often being a pain to set up, you also open your LAN to passers-by.  any wardriver with a laptop can pick up that you've got a wireless node, then it's a matter of time before they crack the WEP (wireless encryption protocol), and then they have free reign of your LAN, and free use of your broadband connection.  furthermore, if you don't tighten it down enough to keep average joe llama out, he might connect to it just to check his e-mail or something, while unwittingly broadcasting a virus across your LAN where the firewall can't protect against it.

as far as routers go, a BEFSRx1 would be my first recommendation.  like phoenix, i have the BEFSR41... it's relatively ancient, but it's ?ber-stable (i usually need to reboot it about once every 4-6 months), easy to configure, and efficient.  if you want more ports (say you plan to host a LAN party), there's the BEFSR81, which is the same unit, but with 8 LAN ports.  there is also the BEFSRU31, which has three ethernet ports and a USB port.  while normally i wouldn't recommend an internet connection via USB, this might be a valid option for connecting your girlfriend's computer, as it doesn't require you to install a network card in her computer, but simply hook up a USB cable.  if you don't want to share the connection, you can still get the protection of a linksys firewall with the BEFSR11, which is the same as the BEFSR41, except it only has one LAN port, which you would then connect to your computer.

in terms of pricing, i just checked amazon.co.uk, and here ya go:
BEFSR11: ?40.89 (wtf?  why not just get the 4port model and have the expandability)
BEFSR41: ?40.89
BEFSR81: ?71.68
they didn't seem to have the BEFSRU31 at amazon.co.uk, however, i found it at dsl-warehouse.co.uk, for ?79.99

well there's a little info for you to start with Slipgate - Smile

once again, i would strongly recommend getting an external DSL bridge and an ethernet card (if you don't already have one) over getting a PCI bridge.  it just gives you a lot more flexibility and options.  also, if the bridge dies for whatever reason, it's a lot easier to replace, and you don't have to install new drivers when you put the new one in (even if you return the bridge to the manufacturer, they may replace it with a newer model, which, with a PCI bridge, would most likely require new drivers).

if you do decide to go with the external setup, i'll be around to help you set it up if you're having any troubles - it's what i do Slipgate - Wink
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2004-04-11, 12:53 »

This looks like the device for me. Thamks for the advice.
I will send off next week (payday) and let you know if I have any probs. thanks again all. Slipgate - Laugh

Now I know a little more that I did 30 minutes ago. Qusetion:

Does this router have a modem biult in? amazon seem to say it does not.

Stop press :: ) I now have network cards in all 3 of the comps.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-11, 14:52 by shambler » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2004-04-11, 14:57 »

Do I read this right(i'm often wrong, you know)
ASIN: B00005KAC7
Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 363
(Manufacturers: improve your sales)
This item can only be delivered within the UK and Republic of Ireland
Find out more about our Delivery Rates and Returns Policy

Features

Equipped with an internal, 4-port 10/100 Fast Ethernet switch

Connects all your PCs to the Internet using a single IP address

Includes DHCP server or client and supports PPPoE

Configurable via Web browser

Note: This router requires an external cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet interface
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #18 on: 2004-04-11, 18:27 »

You'll still need the DSL modem.  
The modem will have a network jack on the back of it (it should but I guess I shouldn't guarentee it without knowing the model #).  Use a LAN cable to connect that to your new router.  The PCs connect to the router via the network card..
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2004-04-11, 20:04 »

Right I understand now. I can sort a matching compatable modem.

Or I could just get one all-in one router/modem/firewall.

Might do that.

What about this one?
http://www.cclcomputers.biz/specs/networkm...router/spec.htm

Or this one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...2751787-1882829
« Last Edit: 2004-04-11, 20:09 by shambler » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: