2024-05-19, 16:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Death of a Newgrounds Author  (Read 5928 times)
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« on: 2004-06-22, 09:57 »

Just an interesting late-night read I stumbled across.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=139349
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-23, 01:31 »

Thanks for posting that Leemon.

Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-23, 03:33 »

this sort of defines that fact that noone takes responsibility for their actions, he took the easy way out(suicide) instead of taking responsibility for shooting the guy. sure he felt sorry, but he's still a coward.

(yes i know thats somewhat flame-bait, but it IS my opinion)
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-30, 21:17 »

Quote from: Hedhunta
this sort of defines that fact that noone takes responsibility for their actions, he took the easy way out(suicide) instead of taking responsibility for shooting the guy. sure he felt sorry, but he's still a coward.

(yes i know thats somewhat flame-bait, but it IS my opinion)
what I wanna know is where he got the gun from

what, did he gank it from the cop and shoot him? I read the letters twice and saw no part about him having a gun... just the knife.

if there is a hell, the dude will be there. I guess that's the justification behind the eternal punishment for suicide, right?
Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-30, 23:37 »

Quote from: mecha
Quote from: Hedhunta

if there is a hell, the dude will be there. I guess that's the justification behind the eternal punishment for suicide, right?
I guess this is not where I say I would have done the same thing? Well i would. ok I don't see any chance that will shoot someone let alone the police.
You may say that I'd be running from my actions but that is just a symptom of our time. The age of right and wrong is over, it's left up to the individual.
you may say that there is no spoon.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-30, 23:39 by Genialus » Logged
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-01, 02:18 »

Quote from: Genialus
I guess this is not where I say I would have done the same thing? Well i would..
I am unsure of what exactly my reaction would be to police swarming my house, but I imagine I would choose suicide over prison in a situation similar to this.
« Last Edit: 2004-07-01, 02:19 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-02, 08:33 »

Obviously he got the gun from inside his apartment before he left.  I can't condemn this man for his response to making a mistake.  He knows his faults, and he also knows the consequences of what he did.  He reacted out of fear, and reactions tend to lead to bad things, like jerking the trigger on a gun when surprised.  It takes training to handle a weapon properly under extremely stressful conditions.  Ask any police officer or military grunt.  It doesn't justify what he did, but he made a choice in the end to try to rectify it, one which some people may not consider right or understand, but one he felt was the only way.  He had three choices - stay on the run and risk hurting innocent people, turn himself in and go to prison to suffer a hellish existence he probably would not survive anyway, or end his life.  While his motive was not completely unselfish it was partly so.  I believe he truly felt remorseful for his actions, and ashamed enough of what he did that he felt the world would be better off without him.  That's not cowardace, that's giving a damn about others, and what you've done to them, and how you've hurt them.

For those so quick to condemn him, I would suggest you do a little soul searching and examine yourselves to see if you're so perfect as to cast judgement on a tortured soul for a mistake in judgement under pressure by fear.  I only thank God that men do not have power of judgement in eternal matters.  I will pray for forgiveness on his behalf for his actions, and on yours for your coldheartedness.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-02, 17:45 »

i think he probably wouldve gotten off with a very light sentence easily enough with todays justice system, he could have easily plead temporary insanity. even if he had gone to prison, it really ISNT as bad as everyone says it is(well, in some prisons im sure it is) ... prisoners have way more freedoms(tv, computers, libraries) than they used to, and although not 100% i bet he would NOT have gone to a max security prison(he probably wouldve been charged with manslaughter since shooting the police officer was not premeditated) and wouldve ended up with a fairly light sentence. i just beleive that if youre going to do things like that, you should take responsibility for them. again, i beleive he took the easy way out, he doesnt have to suffer at ALL for shooting himself, sure he felt remorseful, but for what? an hour? a day? imagine the years of pain that officer has to go thru(unless he was wearing a vest of course! ) if he was severely wounded and lived, on that note, imagine what may have happend if the officer DOES have a vest, the guy could have easily got off with relative nothing(a few years probation, major fines) by proving he was out of his mind and paniced(people have got off for worse things) at the time... but i guess it doesnt matter now does it?
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-02, 19:23 »

No phoenix shooting your fellow men is cold hearted. This man acted selfishly and took the easy way out. If was trying to make amends for what he did he would have turned himself in and faced justice.  I do feel pity for him but i can understand why others do not.

By the way he wouldnt have been charged with manslaughter because the officer didnt die. He was shot in the leg. This man was not likely facing the rest of his life in prision.
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-02, 21:11 »

yeha, he probably would have gotten a felony assult w/a deadly weapon charge... if he was convicted, max like 10 years.. probably much less..
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-03, 00:44 »

Quote from: Woodsman
No phoenix shooting your fellow men is cold hearted. This man acted selfishly and took the easy way out. If was trying to make amends for what he did he would have turned himself in and faced justice.  I do feel pity for him but i can understand why others do not.

By the way he wouldnt have been charged with manslaughter because the officer didnt die. He was shot in the leg. This man was not likely facing the rest of his life in prision.
well i figured if he died... there IS a major artery in the leg that will kill you pretty quickly if its struck though.
Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-03, 04:15 »

The man took his own life out of sorrow for what he had done. Last time I checked, taking my own life was not an easy thing to consider. The fact that he succeeded is a testament to the strength of his morals over the simple instinct of the self to survive. Ironically, the very same instinct that got him into this mess in the first place.

And I am not saying that I am glad he killed himself by the way,  since you cannot look at this situation with anything other than regret. But you might consider him repentant, if it werent for the belief he must be punished in order to understand his mistake. Punishment is simply a vengeance from which to escape, it does not automatically invoke sorrow and regret. On the contrary, it drives people to shoot police officers and then commit suicide.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-03, 08:08 »

Quote from: Woodsman
No phoenix shooting your fellow men is cold hearted.
I know the difference between hot and cold, Woodsman.  You act as if he went out gunning for a cop on purpose.

I'm also getting fed up with people calling this the "easy way out".  You don't know what lies on the other side of death, no matter what you think you know.  Unless you've been there and come back again you flat out DON'T, so don't argue this matter.  What this man believed, however, is relevant to his own actions.  He could have believed in heaven and hell.  Take someone who feels they are going to face eternal torment and see how "easy" it is for them.  He could also have believed in nothing at all, but regardless it does not take away the fear and uncertainty involved with ending one's own life.  That's not an easy thing to do.  You ask anyone who's been bordering on suicide and they'll tell you how damned much they struggle with the decision.  All living things are programmed to survive.  There's nothing easy about it, so quit armchairing from your holier-than-thou positions and show some damned compassion.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: