2024-05-12, 19:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Menu system and skin selection (It works now)  (Read 7896 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2003-11-08, 07:54 »

Usually this would go in a list of bugs fixed, etc, but I felt it deserved it's own post.  For those who hate typing /model all the time you'll be happy to know the Menu system now properly supports skin and model selection.  In short, "It's no longer broken."  Here's how it works.

Main Menu->Setup

You'll see your current model selected for whichever Generation you are viewing.  If it's a fresh install, no model will display until you pick one.  The skin selection box now displays ONLY skins that are compatible with that Generation.  Just click the skin you want and voila, that's what you'll use the next time you use that class.  It is impossible to pick an imcompatible model for a specific Generation through this menu.  You can cycle through each Generation and set up all you like prior to play.  You must still choose your desired Generation in-game, but this menu will allow you to set up your desired model and skin for each Generation prior to joining.

Ingame Menu->Player

As above, you'll see your current model and the skin box.  It will display which Generation you are currently using.  Model and skin changes initiated from here will occur the next time you die or bring up the scoreboard.  If you change Generations you'll see the new model/skin selections available once you respawn as that Generation.  Again, you cannot choose the wrong model/skin for a particular Generation through this menu.

This should make changing models a bit more intuitive.  This was NOT easy to implement, but so far it works just dandy with FFA.  I might need to do some tweaks for teamplay.  This fix wasn't originally intended to go in as soon as .99d but  someone up there seems to like me tonight. B)

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
pepe

Shambler

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-08, 17:50 »

finaly Slipgate - Wink...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-08, 18:46 »

w00t w00t!
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-08, 20:34 »

Slipgate - Smile cool pho!
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-09, 04:19 »

I tried as you said... but nothing happens.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-09, 06:49 »

Lunatic:  That's because it's broke in .99c and prior.  I fixed it for the upcoming version.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-10, 19:46 »

heh, silly peoples. Good work pho Slipgate - Laugh.

I might have to finish this set of personal skins then.. Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-11, 04:30 »

I can hardly wait. Maybe by then I can figure out how to make skins and make a real Vadertime skin for biker. At the moment, I can't even open sorlag to give it green clothes(ie a teamskin turned green).
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-11, 11:11 »

Do yourself a favor btw, and don't make a recolor of anything. It's just like doing crack - sure, it's fun - but your methods would be ... unsound.
;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-12, 22:23 »

Illegal too I suppose. Do you see any method at all though?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-13, 01:10 »

Hehe not truly illegal in all cases.
What do you mean 'do i see a method' ? The only alternative to not recoloring is starting from scratch :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #11 on: 2003-11-13, 22:25 »

Just playing a little movie quote game there, Captain Willard said he didn't see any method at all. Besides, have I lost all my marbles or just most of them? I don't have any method for skinning yet because I just don't know enough. I don't know what size the image should be or what format the files have to be much less how to get them converted to it. I don't even know what positions the different parts of the skin should be in to fit on the model right. Besides, the only application I have right now is windows paint. Don't you just love obsolete junk? :ph34r:
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2003-11-14, 10:36 »

There are some good model viewers out there.  The main thing is learning how the skins map onto the model.  If Polycount's page would quit crashing I could post some links for you, but it keeps locking up.  The best thing to do is open up some existing models, see how they work, and start experimenting.  The Q3 shader manual is a must as well if you ever want to do skins with special effects.  You can check out existing ones by looking in the .skin files and doing a search in models.shader to see how Id wrote the scripts.  After you learn how things work and why the only things you need are talent,  determination, and plenty of time to kill.

I've got the menu system working right with Teamplay now, so your Team models will show if g_gametype is set to any Team game.  If you're at the main menu's Setup screen it will default the skins to Red just to show that you're setting up Team models.  In-game the skins in the menu will reflect the color of the team you are currently on.  Spectator will default to Red.  Your team model is separate from your FFA model, so setting skins through the menu in Teamplay won't mess up your skins in FFA, and vice-versa.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: