2024-05-02, 08:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Origins of Dualgats (Just curious)  (Read 4890 times)
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« on: 2004-09-27, 04:54 »

Where exactly did they come from? I know that:

• The Napalm Launcher is an adaptation of the Mac Flamethrower
  • The Mortar is a variation of the Mac Bazooka
  • The Sniper Rifle was created in GenArena as a long-range balancing asset

But where did the Dualgats come from? I know that they were in the original Gen, and subsequently SOG and GenArena. How did the dualgats idea come about, and why? Does it have something to do with the dualgat wielding bosses?

P.S. What made you decide to change the Bazooka into a mortar?
« Last Edit: 2004-09-27, 04:54 by Assamite » Logged
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-27, 05:26 »

Here's how I understand things.

The Dualgats are a homage to the dual-chaingun-wielding bosses of Wolfenstein 3D.

The Mortar Launcher came about for various reasons. Just bringing in the Bazooka would have been boring. "Just another rocket launcher." Various ideas were tossed around, one of which being to have the projectile accelerate as it flew, but engine limitations made it either impossible or more difficult to implement than it would have been worth. So the idea for an arcing projectile that falls over distance was born.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-27, 14:20 »

Quote from: Makou

The Dualgats are a homage to the dual-chaingun-wielding bosses of Wolfenstein 3D.

The Mortar Launcher came about for various reasons. Just bringing in the Bazooka would have been boring. "Just another rocket launcher." Various ideas were tossed around, one of which being to have the projectile accelerate as it flew, but engine limitations made it either impossible or more difficult to implement than it would have been worth. So the idea for an arcing projectile that falls over distance was born.
Bingo
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-27, 18:41 »

Actually, there's a pic of BJ wielding two gatling guns in the Wolf3D readme portion of the game.  I've also seen this screenshot where there's Wolf port with two gats.

As for the mortar, yes, there were technical problems with adding a new TR_TYPE for accelerating projectile calculation.  I know how to get around that now, but the weapon model is already kick-ass and changing the gun that radically at this point in the game would be counter-intuitive.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Vorlonesque

Team Member
Pain Elemental

« Reply #4 on: 2004-10-15, 04:39 »

I actually prefer the mortar...it adds a touch of something unique to the mod...moreso than an accelerating rocket would have done IMHO.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-10-15, 05:18 »

I think the earth class is a fine example of how gen could have been achived legally in quake 3 even if the character models hadnt been included in the first place. More of a homage instead of a direct translation. (no this is not a push for gen for doom 3 so dont ask)
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2004-10-25, 21:11 »

Quote from: Makou

The Dual Gats remind me of the dual-chaingun weapon (nicknamed the "boob gun") that was implemented in the Wolfenstein 3D mod The FInal Solution.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #7 on: 2004-10-27, 06:51 »

Mostly it seems they're a way to give earthenstein a BFG. All the other classes have a powerful bfg equivalent from the original games. Has anybody ever tried to make animations for the poor old knife though?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-10-27, 07:25 »

Slipgate - RTFM

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: