2024-05-03, 00:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to add your models (complicated yet efficient)  (Read 4915 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« on: 2005-06-18, 20:23 »

Yes, there is a way to add your models! Altough complicated...

1st - Open your model PK3 file located in the folder where it's located (I recommend WinRAR, but Winzip works too);

2nd - Go to /models/players/(model) folder inside the model PK3;

(model) differs with the name of the model

3rd - Create a .cfg file with the followingt text, name it "animation2" and place it in the folder with the name of the model :

// animation2 config file

class (class)

// first frame, num frames, looping frames, frames per second

0   0   0   0      // Placeholder so Q3 doesn't crash

(class) is replaced with the wished class:

earth - Earth Soldiers;
doom - DooM Warriors;
slipgate - Slipgater
strogg- Strogg Tropper;
arena - Arena Gladiator.

4th - Done! It appears in the menu.

NOTE : You need to place the  model in the /generations folder or /baseq3 folder.

Hope it works for you guys. At least it worked for me.

Pho Says :
The best rule of thumb is to not modify any pk3 you've downloaded somewhere. Create a new .pk3, and zip your stuff into that. To create a new pk3 just make a new .zip file, zip your stuff with the paths intact, and rename it .pk3. pk3's are sorted alphabetically, with whatever comes last being what "wins" if more than one pk3 contain a file of the same name.

As loong as you create the "animation2.cfg" file and place it inside the .pk3's folder "models/players/(model)", it will work in Generations Arena.
« Last Edit: 2005-08-15, 09:59 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-19, 00:05 »

or create a seperate pk3 file so pure servers don't boot you out.
And you don't need the model to be in the /generations folder. All of mine are in baseq3, and I've made them work with Gen.
« Last Edit: 2005-06-19, 00:05 by Footman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-19, 00:34 »

PLEASE DO NOT EVER EDIT PAK9_GEN99E.PK3 OR ANY DEFAULT PK3 INCLUDED WITH GENERATIONS ARENA OR QUAKE III ARENA!!! :!:

Seriously, I do NOT want any bug reports over getting kicked off servers for this.  sv_pure WILL kick you off if you do this if the server has it enabled, and there's a reason it's enabled on Central - it lets us know if your files are screwed up or not prior to you posting a bug report.  I know Alucard has pure disabled on Euro, that's fine it's his server, but If you want to play with any custom extras create a new pk3 file and put your custom stuff in that.  Otherwise you'll have to reinstall (and possibly redownload) Generations Arena to correct your pk3 after you change it.

There's also a reason I did not include instructions on how to do this.  You want to see Ranger swing his axe?  You want to see Doom hold his BFG9000 correctly?  You want to see Sarge hold his pistol out like he should?  That's what animation2.cfg is for, along with the class assignments on the models.  If everyone goes around making custom this and custom that you're going to be in for a rude surprise if and when a model you like ends up working with a class other than what you have it set for now.  Please, trust me on this.  I'm glad someone's technically curious, and experimentation is a good way to learn, just remember we're not done with the mod yet so if you, the enduser, decide to change something then please expect it to not work right after the next release.

So there you go.  Edit at your own risk.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-19, 05:36 »

Also, please reserve posting about such experiments to forums like laced nepture (or the beta-test thread), where fellow 'dev people' take an interest, and not the average joe who will destroy his Generations install in the process.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-19, 07:46 »

You are a very valueable individual Kruzader and I value your input. Thank you.
« Last Edit: 2005-06-19, 07:46 by McDeth » Logged

Beer? I'm down.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-19, 10:44 »

I only modified the .pk3 file because i don't have the change to play online due to my time. But at least we can put the animation2.cfg file inside the model .pk3? I mean does it ruins the game?
« Last Edit: 2005-06-19, 10:44 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-19, 11:27 »

you can make an seperate pk3 with the animation2.cfg files in .

if you want I can send 1 to ya with te best monsters i found on polycount.
IMP , horned reaper , arachnatron , revanant ,.... ( it only includes the animation2.cfg files and not the models , so you have to download them seperatly ).
« Last Edit: 2005-06-19, 11:33 by games keeper » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-19, 20:26 »

The best rule of thumb is to not modify any pk3 you've downloaded somewhere.  Create a new .pk3, and zip your stuff into that.  To create a new pk3 just make a new .zip file, zip your stuff with the paths intact, and rename it .pk3.  pk3's are sorted alphabetically, with whatever comes last being what "wins" if more than one pk3 contain a file of the same name.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2005-06-21, 10:26 »

whatever comes last being what "wins" if more than one pk3 contain a file of the same name. 

that explains some things .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: