2024-05-11, 15:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boot Tries To Make Models  (Read 6569 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2003-12-05, 20:19 »

well since i don't have to much to do nowdays i thought i might get starting and learn howto model if you wanna take a look visit: http://medlem.spray.se/reboots/models.htm

i've uploaded some pics of my Enterprise D model there's an pic of my master sword and hyrulian shield models and yes the models aint complete.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-05, 21:41 »

Hey, that's awesome! Slipgate - Laugh
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-05, 22:03 »

pretty nice!
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-05, 22:58 »

ok... i forsee Reboot's title going from 'Mapper' to 'Mapper/Modeller' in the near future Slipgate - Tongue

hehehe, in all seriousness reboot, thats awesome
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-05, 23:01 »

tnx guys Slipgate - Smile hehe well it's not impossible im going to be Mapper/modeller in the future but i still have lots to learn! i want to be even better Slipgate - Smile but 3dsmax makes my head hurt... o_O
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-06, 07:28 »

Lots of patience.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-06, 07:30 »

That's a VERY good start Reboot!  Some observations:

1)  Your sense of proportion is spot-on.  I have the blueprints for the Enterprise-D and a few models.  Those look good enough to be a step away from being in an actual game.  If they had more surface detail and were skinned you'd have it.  The geometry looks fantastic.

That's it!  I really can't say anything bad here.  Now, as far as detail on the mesh construction I can't comment or nitpick since this is a flatshaded render and I can't see the wireframe or vertex positions.  One suggestion I'll make, because a lot of modelers (including Id) seem to miss this, is vertex welds.  I see a lot of models where you have 2 verts in the same spot with the edges of faces running along a seam instead of the verts being welded and the mesh contiguous.  Example:

----------- edge

+ vert

(Zoomed in microscopic detail)

------+-------
------+--------

vs.

------+-------

It's hard to spot these since they occupy the same space as opposed to being separated like this.  They'll actually LOOK like the lower example, but if you were to select exactly one of the two verts and drag it aside you'd get the top example.  It does cause Z-fighting in game in places, and "seam bleed".  You can notice it in the form of little white specs in the in-game render.  A good weld not only cuts back on polycount but it also gets rid of that bleed and makes the skinmap generation go a lot easier.

You're off to a very good start.  Keep it up.  I've not had time to learn Max beyond a few functions.  I've done almost all my mesh generation work with Q2M, so you're a few steps ahead of me in that department.  Max may be a pain, but it's very powerful.  Learn it and you will go far. B)

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-06, 21:41 »

tnx pho Slipgate - Smile woa you have the blueprints on the Enterprise D? where did you get those?
hehe yea im still working on the mesh and i have still no idea how uvw mapping works or that material editor.. i guess i'll have to learn it but skinning seems so boring and difficult im not a pixel man Slipgate - Wink

Yes i've noticed that with the verts i usually zoom them to the max and try to weld them but i guess i miss a few time to time..
hmm Q2M? that's a modeller prog for quake 2?
anyhow ya know if there's a way to export max models to MD3?
« Last Edit: 2003-12-06, 21:42 by ReBoOt » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-07, 08:33 »

Yes indeed!  Get with me in the chat room and I'll see about getting some good plugins your way.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-07, 20:28 »

aight cool pho Slipgate - Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: