2024-05-16, 05:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firebird 0.8 released! (Only it's called FireFOX now)  (Read 8543 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-02-09, 09:33 »

Holy crap!

Mozilla Firebird Renamed Firefox, Version 0.8 Released

The standalone Mozilla Firebird browser has been renamed to Firefox and received an upgrade to version 0.8. This latest release features a new download manager, bookmarks enhancements, better support for extensions and several thousand other improvements. Windows users can benefit from a new installer, while Mac OS X users will enjoy the new Aqua-style theme, Kevin Gerich and Stephen Horlander's Pinstripe.

Firefox is the browser's third name. The last name, Firebird, drew strong objections from the Firebird database community when it was announced in April. The database community's supporters and commercial backers waged a high-profile campaign against mozilla.org and affiliated parties until mozilla.org announced that Firebird would only be used as a codename. The new Firefox moniker is intended to be used as a permanent product name and a strong brand identity will be built around it. The new name was chosen after extensive international trademark searches and consultations with lawyers. The process of registering Firefox as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office began in December last year.

Firefox 0.8 can be downloaded from the Firefox product page or direct from the Firefox 0.8 directory on ftp.mozilla.org. Check out the Firefox 0.8 Release Notes for more information.

Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5 Released

The Mozilla Foundation today released the latest preview release of its new email and newsgroups application, Mozilla Thunderbird. This release features Palm address book synchronisation, IMAP performance improvements, better LDAP support, enhanced Netscape 4.x migration, spell check/dictionary improvements, and many other bug fixes and minor tweaks.

Thunderbird 0.5 can be downloaded from the Thunderbird product page or direct from the Thunderbird 0.5 directory on ftp.mozilla.org. Check out the Thunderbird 0.5 Release Notes for more information.

You can download the file here
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...x/releases/0.8/
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-02-09, 09:34 »

Firefox 0.8 Release Notes

Windows Installer

Firefox now comes with an installer for Windows. Aside from making the installation process smoother, the installer also solves some common plug-in problems.

Download Manager

The new streamlined download manager keeps your downloads organized without getting in your way. Select Tools > Downloads or press Ctrl+E to see it or change its behavior.

New Add Bookmark Dialog

The Add Bookmark dialog has been enhanced and now allows the creation of new bookmark folders.

Work Offline

It's now possible to view Web pages you've previously visited without being connected to the Internet.

Better Handling of File Types

Binary files (e.g. .wma and .rar files) served by servers incorrectly sending text/plain should no longer be displayed as garbage in the browser, rather they should be appropriately handled.

New XPInstall Frontend

The dialog that appears when installing themes and extensions has been redesigned and is easier to use.

New default theme for MacOS X

The Pinstripe theme integrates better on MacOS X than the Qute theme, used on Windows and Linux.

Lots of bug fixes and improvements

Disabling of form auto-completion is now working, the address bar now remembers the edited text across tab switching, among many other bug fixes.
Jaq

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2004-02-09, 21:33 »

Maybe it's just me but 'Firefox' sucks big time (the name, not the browser Slipgate - Smile
What's next? Firedog? Flamingpig?

They should have stayed with Phoenix. But what the hell, it's just a name. At least Firefox starts up a bit faster.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-02-09, 23:37 »

They changed it due to copyright reasons.
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2004-02-10, 02:05 »

i think firefox is pretty cool. besides the name, it loads a lot faster than firebird, and that annoying download resume bug was fixed  Thumbs up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-10, 02:19 »

Why didn't they just rename it to "Thunderbird" to match the email?  Firefox is a stupid name, and I don't see how the hell anyone's going to confuse a web browser with database software.  Oh well.  Firefox it is I guess.  I'll continue to use the browser no matter what they call it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-10, 03:13 »

The minute they call that browser 'FireImWithShitForBrains', I'll stop using it. Other than that, I agree with Pho ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-02-10, 03:24 »

I'm kinda fond of FireWallaby myself Slipgate - Wink
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #8 on: 2004-02-10, 04:13 »

I got it just now, LOVE the new icon (I could never tell what the flame...thing was with Firebird...was it supposed to be wings?).  I had a few problems with the scroll bar being missing, but after poking around and clearing some profiles and reinstalling a skin or two, everything was fine once again.

Whatever the hell they call it, the Fire owns.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-02-12, 20:56 »

Firestorm and Thunderstorm would have been better substitutes for names in my opinion, but I do like the new icon associated with FireFox. Slipgate - Tongue  I also agree with OmEgA-X in that I noticed a significant speed boost in this version.  Still have to stick with IE for now though because of my online coursework at school.  The online component does not support Mozilla at all.

OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #10 on: 2004-02-13, 02:44 »

there is an 'open page w/IE' extension..
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2004-02-13, 03:00 »

Quote from: OmEgA-X
there is an 'open page w/IE' extension..
Awesome.  Thanks for the info.  I went to their Extensions section and snagged it.  Slipgate - Smile

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-02-13, 10:01 »

Some of us AREN'T using "Firefox" anymore. Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2004-02-14, 07:43 »

lol Nice Pho.  Thumbs up!   We just need Mozilla Quetzalcoatl now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: