2024-05-04, 00:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news Rocket Arena fans (It's coming to Doom 3)  (Read 5893 times)
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2005-02-18, 08:28 »

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topi...332&tid=1528441

Enjoy. ;]
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-18, 08:45 »

Somehow I can't see this as being fun.  It's bad enough people camp and rail in Quake 2 and Quake 3, now they'll camp and rail from SHADOWS in Doom 3.  And more of the BFG hatred...  So you'll just end up running around shooting rockets into every shadow you can find, hoping the person is actually camping there, or else you'll have to camp there yourself.  Anyone ever play CS, and witness a "camp-off"?  Everyone dies except the two idiot dumbass campers who won't leave the darkest corner of their bases.  The clock runs out, and everyone loses all their damned money who died.  It's the apex of lameness.  That's what I visualize happening here, if it follows the match-based format of Rocket Arena and isn't just "Doom 3 fully loaded".  That also means, sadly, it will probably be insanely popular because a lot of gamers any more just get off on cheap kills.  Who knows, I could be wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes up for anything more than this right now.  Slipgate - Asleep

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-18, 15:36 »

Absolutely, Pho. Plus, IMO D3 just isn't fast enough to carry something like RA off. I really like D3 as a single player game, but the muliplayer as it is isn't up to much. I just don't see the point.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2005-02-18, 17:06 »

- Replace the BFG with a Railgun clone? (this would be a server setting to retain original play as well)

Yes, definitely - the railgun has always been a staple of id multiplayer
Ain't that the truth. I don't know what QuakeWorld would have been like without that railgun...
« Last Edit: 2005-02-18, 17:07 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-02-18, 18:40 »

I don't mind the BFG for standard modes, but I honestly don't think it has a place in RA. At least not in the same sense as the rocket launcher does. If everyone started with a BFG, then matches would end up as BFG fests, much like our fully loaded mode usually does. Even one shot per person means that the BFG will likely be the most heavily used weapon, and it's an instant kill.

The only way I'd want to see a BFG in any RA game is as a reward granted for reaching a certain set of circumstances.  Kill three people in a row without dying: get a BFG, or something similar.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2005-02-18, 19:32 »

That wasn't exactly the point of my post, Con... Slipgate - Roll Eyes

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-02-18, 21:20 »

Nor mine.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2005-02-19, 08:04 »

The rocket launcher's already the most dominent weapon in Doom 3 deathmatch.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2005-02-19, 15:09 »

ya know con , it would be some nice gametype you just suggested , do 5 kills nd get a bfg shot .
it would be similar to the soulcube wich has to be loaded with souls of demons .
Slipgate - Smile
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-02-19, 19:58 »

It would still be Doom3, it would still suck for multiplayer and it would still be unlike RA2 ever was.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2005-02-20, 13:01 »

I was more thinking on a gamemod for gen .
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #11 on: 2005-02-24, 00:09 »

Yeah, the main reason Doom 3's shadows work out well is because there aren't any weapons which can insta-kill from the shadows. The shadows can stil work to your advantage, but you have to be clever about it. The only weapon which can acheive the kind of instant lethality that the railgun has is the shotgun, but the only way you could pull that off is by waiting untill your opponent walks RIGHT BY YOU, and that takes guts. All the other weapons are either projectile based, or not first-hit-lethal, so the shadows will give you an advantage which you can take advantage of if you're good, but not a free kill. It's all about the follow-through.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: