2024-05-09, 18:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metallica Recording (New Album)  (Read 4657 times)
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2004-10-19, 03:09 »

http://www.encycmet.com/news/2004-10-18c.shtml

Another new album...
With Robert Trujillo on Bass as opposed to Bob Rock.
Let's hope this comes out better than St. Anger.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-10-19, 04:24 »

Quote from: Footman
Let's hope this comes out better than St. Anger.
I was going to say that anything would be better than St. Anger, but then I read that William Shatner has recorded a new album. Oh My F'ing Gawd

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-10-19, 20:06 »

Hey now, don't knock it till you rock it!

It's half-decent imo =]

(Edit: I meant William Shatner's album)
« Last Edit: 2004-10-19, 22:01 by Tekhead » Logged
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-10-19, 20:30 »

Yea, but they still could've done alot better. :p

Like... Master of Puppets... Whatever happened to cool shit like this? Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2004-10-19, 20:31 by Footman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-10-19, 21:57 »

Quote from: Footman
Yea, but they still could've done alot better. :p

Like... Master of Puppets... Whatever happened to cool shit like this? Slipgate - Tongue
The common consensus among old-school metal fans is that Metallica sold out after their "black" album.  If you look at the history of Heavy Metal and the recording industry's shift from rock to hip-hop rap and "Alternative" in the 1990's within the US there's not much else to explain why Metallica went from being an underground metal band to a majorly promoted "mainstream" band.  This promotional shift occured when their music changed, and it left a lot of us scratching our heads as to why the change from "Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets/And Justice for All" metal to "Load/Reload" alternative until we began seeing Metallica plastered all over the place and played on all the Clear Channel radio station clones around the country.  Every city has one of these, they all play the same stuff and have the same sort of radio personalities.  When Alternative became Mainstream and bands like Green Day and Jane's Addiction and Nirvana were the ones being played, Metallica joined their ranks and sent a big "FU" to those of us who had been listening to the band's old school albums and were perfectly content with what the band originally was.  This is why there's two types of Metallica fans - those who hate the new stuff, and those who hate the old stuff.

Metal lost out big in the US for two reasons - Record Labels and radio not carrying it, and the explosion of the "Death Metal" bands around Tampa which drowned out all the good bands whenever metal actually WAS played on the radio.  Fortunately, in Europe, Heavy Metal was not completely squashed and written off by the record labels as it was in the US, and there's now a large metal following in South America as well, thanks to a few bands refusing to die and some hard-core fans refusing to give up.  Iron Maiden has produced two great new albums since Bruce rejoined the band, and Bruce's last two solo albums were fantastic.  The Chemical Wedding is better than anything Maiden or Metallica have ever released, at least that's my opinion.  Rob Halford's "Crucible" is right up there with it.  St. Anger....  Well, I've heard samples of several of the tracks, and I hate to use the word, since Metal is often stigmatized in this manner, but really it's nothing but noise.  Gone is the precision and any semblence of order that the band used to have.  Sound cannot be called music if it lacks structure.  I know the band is more talented than this, and to me they've sorely lost their way.  I'm hoping they can get back to their roots and produce something more along the lines of their better days, but I'm not going to hold my breath over it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-10-19, 22:03 »

I'm a third Party Metallica fan. I like both the old and new stuff. Slipgate - Tongue

All we can do for this album is hope and have faith(if any still remains. Slipgate - Sad )
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #6 on: 2004-10-23, 22:06 »

talk about clearchannel and clone radio stations! the one good radio station around here(they played most if not all good hard rock/metal) got bought up and went from "new rock" to "rock" and now all they play is lame hippy and country music..  there is now officially NOTHING to listen to on the radio in this town.  thank god i have a mp3 compatible deck in my car or id go sporking insane.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-10-25, 17:10 »

I was never much of a fan of Metallica to be honest. :p  I do not dislike their music, but I prefer other metal bands.  Fuel is probably my favorite song of theirs.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: