2024-05-08, 08:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen 4 Quake 4? (It's hopeful...)  (Read 9395 times)
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« on: 2005-05-06, 04:33 »

In the latest issue of PC Gamer, there is a little tidbit listed under the Q4 preview...

VITAL FACT: Raven and id are aiming to re-create the Quake III multiplayer experience in the new engine.

Now, what can be assumed is netcode and a coupla maps and All That Jazz, but Adonai willing, this might mean that they'll import all the generational models (Sarge, Ranger, etc.)... And a D3-engine Generations might become a reality.

So what do you think? Do you think they'll go forward with this, and if so, would WH be willing to create a version of Gen for it?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-06, 04:34 »

the only way gen will happen for any other game is if said other game imports the characters. period.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-06, 04:56 »

That doesn't add much. I ALREADY KNEW THAT.
What I wanted to know was your thoughts on the likelyhood of id porting the models, and any willingness of WH to do a GenQ4 IF they did.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-06, 05:29 »

If someone pays me to do it, as in, full developer's salary, and equipment costs.  No, I'm not kidding either.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-06, 05:29 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-06, 08:29 »

Hmm i always wanted to work with the doom 3 engine..but i think i'll wait  for q4. gen for q4 sounds nice but that whould be alot of work.
Damager

Light Guard

« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-06, 08:44 »

indeed
« Last Edit: 2005-05-06, 08:44 by Damager » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-06, 13:44 »

What Pho said. I'm not going to do another shitload of per pixel engine models just because I could/can. Doing it right would mean scrapping EVERY bit of art, and redoing it with normal maps and whatnot.

P.S. And don't give me that 'just run a filter over it and/or make those normal maps automated, then your done real quick LOLOLZ ROFLMAOIST', because if we want ugly, we can do ugly in the Q3 engine.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-06, 17:34 »

Doom 3 engine can taste my male reproductive organ. that's what I think about it.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-06, 18:16 »

Agreed.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-06, 18:17 »

Quake 4 who cares. That was like when they remade pycho after alfred hitchcock  died. Raven should make another Heretic/Hexen game with the doom 3 engine and save us the misery of a  fake quake game.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-06, 19:12 »

I would love to see a Heretic-style game from the Doom 3 engine.  Phoenix sword this time?  Slipgate - Laugh

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-06, 20:05 »

I'm happy with Q3Gen, cheers. While my setup can handle D3 well enough-ish, there are the 800MHz loading times to consider (Q3Gen takes about 80 secs, D3 takes about 120). Stuff that. Slipgate - Sad

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-06, 21:48 »

Oh yes..another Hexen or Heretic game whould be awsome! Slipgate - Smile i love those games!
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #13 on: 2005-05-06, 23:19 »

hell yeah

i loved the assasin class in Hexen 2

speaking of hexen 2, anybody know where i can get the portal of praevus addon for it

i don't mind waiting hours using limewire, sharaeza and so on so if somebody does have it can they let me have a copy
OoPpEe

Spectre

« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-10, 08:37 »

If there ever was a Generations for Quake 4, I would never play it. Personally I hate the Doom 3 engine, even the visuals are not that great on max. Was not impressed at all. I read up that D3 is an replacement of Doom 1. No game can replace Doom 1, I see D3 as Doom 1 but from another marines perspective.
The only thing I loved about the Doom 3 engine was the sound engine. So far from what I've seen in other games and then Doom 3's sound engine... no compairison. The sound engine is godlike. I hate on how the sound engine always got overlooked on the engine, everyone is so biast with quality graphics. So my thing to say to everyone with Doom 3, get a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system, set sound quality on high and just "listen" to the game.

As for the whole Quake 3 gameplay on the Doom 3 engine, sadly I can honestly say it isn't possible by todays standards. Part of Quake 3's success is how fast you can run the game, Doom 3 has too steap. I can play the game fine on single player, but the multiplayer runs like a microsoft powerpoint presentation with flash on a 133. Just won't work.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-10, 09:14 »

Anything compared to Q3's shoddy 22 khz quality is going to rock, whereas I've always wondered why they didn't start with using CD quality by then in the first place :/

Also, there have been times that people couldn't run Q3 on old machines, just like there were times people couldn't play Q2 ('what? we need a 3d accelerator card for it to run smoothly? that's absurd!') - time solves this kind of thing as always.

That said, the D3 engine is not that bad really. It's just one of those id tech demos, like Quake was back in the day; remember how shoddy that looked in some ways? As the art and later undoubtedly the subtlety in lighting improves, I have no doubt that we'll see some very beautiful games in (basically) the same engine.
Just not Generations :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #16 on: 2005-05-10, 19:33 »

Personally I find Doom 3's graphics almost arousing, but only because I'm thinking of system shock when I'm in the act. Of playing it.
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #17 on: 2005-05-10, 19:47 »

Doom 3's engine is indeed revolutionary, however it's gonna have to make room for the upcoming Unreal 3 engine, that blows Doom 3 out of the water.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-10, 19:47 by Little Washu » Logged

Chilvence

Ogre

« Reply #18 on: 2005-05-10, 21:23 »

Well you're right in saying it will have to move over, but thats the natural progression of things anyway. Its gonna be a while before the mainstream can comfortably run the likes of what weve seen on the unreal tech demos...

The question I want to ask is would it be worth it to port Gen to an engine that bears little resemblance to any of the games it is based on?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #19 on: 2005-05-11, 02:22 »

I second that. besides the fact that if Unreal 2 was anything to go by, we're in for another tech demo. the UT games are good, but the SP Unreals just didn't measure up IMO.

I also agree that Gen on the D3 engine, while it would look fantastic, would completely miss the point of the mod - old-skool mayhem. I'm happy with what I've got, thanks.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: