2024-05-06, 20:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Now Accepting Shafts (And other energy weapons)  (Read 7798 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-07-10, 23:06 »

Bitar heads Indiana-based Xtreme Alternative Defense Systems Ltd., which makes small blinding lasers used in Iraq. But his real project is a nonlethal energy device called the StunStrike.

Basically, it fires a bolt of lightning. It can be tuned to blow up explosives, possibly to stop vehicles and certainly to buzz people. The strike can be made to feel as gentle as "broom bristles" or cranked up to deliver a paralyzing jolt that "takes a few minutes to wear off."

...At present, StunStrike is a 20-foot tower that can zap things up to 28 feet away. The next step is to shrink it so it could be wielded by troops and used in civilian locales like airplane cabins or building entrances.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...nergy_weapons_2

There's a lot of interesting stuff in the article, but this part about someone developing a sort of lightning gun has a bit of a Slipgate theme to it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-10, 23:36 »

A very interesting weapon, not only because it is non-lethal, but also because ammo won't be a problem, reducing costs of production. The down part is that it would probably take a few tweeks to transform it into a lethal weapon. Don't know, but by the sound of it, it wouldn't be that hard. Besides that, it would be a good alternative to water cannons, wich are a waste of water Slipgate - Smile .

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-11, 01:10 »

Better than plastic bullets, anyway.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-11, 02:03 »

Looks like SOMEONE'S been playing Q1 when developing weapon ideas...

Next up: BFG9000! Slipgate - Roll Eyes
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-11, 05:38 »

"20 foot tower" sounds like red alert tesla coil to me.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-11, 05:48 »

I'm sure a Tesla coil is involved in it, you can't generate high enough voltage without one for an electric discharge.  Typically high voltage is harmless so long as it has no current behind it, and as long as the oscilation frequency is extremely high.  Tesla routinely put over 1 million volts across himself in demonstrations, the key was the frequency was close to 1 MHz.  House current kills you because it's a slow oscillation at 60Hz, and it's low voltage driving high current.  That stops your heart and disrupts the nervous system.

Basically this tower is a high-voltage potential with the same kind of pulse pattern as a Taser.  It wouldn't be hard at all to modify a lightning gun that can stun someone into something that has a lethal setting.  All it has to do is drive a decent enough amount of current at a slow enough pulse rate and it could knock you dead in a second.  The Slipgate Thunderbolt, by comparison, works on a simpler principle but is much more powerful.  It just drives a ton of current at high voltage so it simply vaporizes whatever the discharge touches.

The drawback to any kind of lightning gun is it will have a very short range, and unless you have some way to drive the potential out in a straight line it will try to arc to the nearest ground source.  It would be useless in a metal structure or near bodies of water, and someone in a vehicle would be well protected against it owing to the Faraday cage principle of a metal conductive shell.  You'd need a linear accelerator driving the electrons into a beam almost so that you form your own ionized path through the air instead of relying on the air to form the ionized channel to carry the current wherever it pleases.  That would ensure a closer target zone to where you actually aim the thing, as well as increasing the range.

Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-11, 13:38 »

* reminds himself not the post small little comments because pho will turn them into a 2 paragraph half a page post

Slipgate - Wink
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-07-11, 14:03 »

Hey, not all my posts are huge!

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #8 on: 2005-07-12, 13:02 »

true, but most are
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2005-07-13, 06:30 »

Quote from: Lordbane2110
true, but most are
Most are damn informative though.  I always learn a thing or two whenever Phoenix writes up a lengthy response. Slipgate - Smile

Oh and to be on-topic, I think it's a pretty good idea that's worth funding actually.  Although to be honest, I'm more comfortable with something travelling at the speed of a bullet than I am with something that travels at the speed of light.  Slipgate - Smile~

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2005-07-13, 14:50 »

The downside of these so-called "non-lethal" technologies is they are ten times more likely to be abused than lethal tech.  How many people get hit with tasers that don't need to be?  But because it doesn't leave a hole in you, or a bleeding corpse on the ground, it's tolerated.  Microwaving someone so that their skin feels like it's literally on fire doesn't sound any different from being set on fire as far as what the person goes through neurologically.  Pain sends the body into a shock state.  The brain is wired to respond to pain - especially severe pain - with all sorts of chemical changes in the blood stream, increased heart rate, adrenaline, etc, and then there are the psychological ramifications of that sort of thing.  If the brain thinks you're being killed it will act in response to it whether you really are or not.  Being set on fire is not a pleasant experience, nor would feeling like you've been set on fire be.  Again, if someone uses such a device on, say, a crowd of undesiree protesters, who can prove it?  On the other side of the question is unknown long-term effects of such a technology.  My concern is when does lack of lethality become so desireable that something that amounts to torture if inflicted through any other means is considered a viable alternative?  It's one thing to use dispersal tools on a rioting crowd, but there are much more insidious uses for such technology.  Interrogation comes to mind...

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-07-23, 18:08 »

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=...=mg18725095.600

Hardly what I'd call a "real-world" test.  Haven't these idiots thought to pulse the beam several times a second instead of just hosing with a continuous beam?  You can maintain the beam on target for a much longer time that way without causing permanent damage, and you can dial the pulse frequency to reduce or escalate the effects as needed, plus a pulsed beam is less drain on the power system.  Sheesh, do I have to think of everything?  Seriously, why is it the "experts" can't seem to see past the ends of their noses anymore?

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #12 on: 2005-07-23, 20:43 »

hmmm non lethal huh?, well i tend not to agree with this one, anybody seen the what the microwave tank from C&C can do and it's pretty much the same premise
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #13 on: 2005-08-05, 03:59 »

I've heard microwaves can sterilize people. That could cause a problem. I mean microwaves are dangerous. Especially to children. Well I guess they know what they're doing. Slipgate - Shifty

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2005-11-08, 22:57 »

Next up on the hit parade - PHASR rifles.  No, I am not kidding, that's what they are really called.  Slipgate - Roll Eyes

The Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response (PHASR) rifle was developed at the Air Force Research Laboratory in New Mexico, US, and two prototypes have been delivered to military bases in Texas and Virginia for further testing.
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8275

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #15 on: 2005-11-08, 23:28 »

Looks like a trekkie's wet dream.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #16 on: 2005-11-09, 00:10 »

'Electrically charge' some water, then fire it at the enemy as a stream, or a pulse or a blob. A stream of water could go quite a distance in a more or less stright line, and hold a charge without arcing to earth. a thin stream of water, just big enough to pass the current onto the target.

Or just use a small caliber bullet with a toxin on it. no big hole to heal up, and the drug would wear off after a reasonable time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: