2024-05-14, 11:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Too bad about the SNG (Reason to use it?)  (Read 16077 times)
Plein Tarif

« on: 2005-05-14, 06:25 »

I love Generations, and I've logged hundreds of hours on it, but I'm really sorry the Slipgater's Super Nailgun isn't better.  It was such a badass weapon in Quake, but it might as well not even be in G:A.  I watched a demo of a game on DM12, Slipgaters vs. Strogg teams, and the SNG practically never got used.  Tabun, the player the demo was following got 1 frag with it, by accident, when he ran out of ammo for another weapon and it switched to the SNG.  I didn't see Tabun ever get an intentional frag with the SNG, but I did see him...

--run out of ammo for ev,erything except the SNG, switch to the axe, and kill someone.
--use the SNG to shoot open a door, which completely exhausted the starting ammo
--run into the plasma gun room, see the SNG, and run back out.
--discharge his shaft into the water rather than use his only other weapon, the SNG.
--use the NG while quaded, not getting any kills
--use the double shotgun even though he had the SNG and 200 nails
--run away from a player with a machinegun because he only had an SNG.

From the demo, Tabun looked like an incredible player, tipping the odds in favor of whoever's team he was on..  If even he doesn't want to use the SNG, I think it should be changed.  Maybe the speed of the nails should be upped, or maybe it should come with more ammo.  It wouldn't unbalance the Slipgater class unless it was better than the RL or the shaft, which it wouldn't be.   I just think it's too bad that what was such an awesome weapon in Q1 gets so little use in Generations.   Slipgate - Sad
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-14, 06:47 »

The Nailgun and Super Nailgun in GenArena are actually identical to how they are in Quake 1 with two exceptions: The weapon models are different, because we can't just rip models from other games, and the nails are bigger, by player request because they were apparently too hard to see at the proper size. Speed, refire rate, and damage are all identical to Quake 1.

I've played my share of Q1 deathmatch; I practically grew up playing QuakeWorld. To say that the SNG was a "badass weapon" isn't quite right -- since I started playing the game, I've rarely, if ever, seen people use it unless they absolutely had to.

That said, the weapon is perfectly fine as-is. I get plenty of intentional kills with it, while other people will use nothing but the RL and GL regardless of the situation they're in. The Nailguns are, as a whole, weak-sauce weapons that are rather difficult to kill with, which is why they're rarely used.

Both the NG and SNG are fine as they are. What you witnessed Tabun doing in that demo was not, I think, Tabun ignoring the weapon, but rather exhibiting something called "strategy," or just wanting to be a jerk to that player he axe-murdered. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2005-05-14, 06:47 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-14, 06:53 »

I use the SNG a bit. Watch Phoenix' demos from the Slipgate Lithium game. It's in the .99f demo thread somewhere. The camera isn't always pointed towards me, but it does catch me getting kills with the SNG. When I have rockets, I never use the SNG unless I'm turning a corner (demo02 shows this off extremely well, as I get 2 kills with it by doing this), so I don't blow myself up. If I have the shaft, the SNG will rarely get used because the shaft is better in all categories.

I'm not the best Gen player around, by far, but I switch weapons a lot during a fight. And yes, the SNG is one of those weapons I switch to on occasion. Sometimes people don't expect it.. and some other times it's good for spamming a hallway. But it's not the best means of killing... and it never was. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-14, 06:54 »

It was a badass weapon in single player Quake, but as far as Quakeworld multiplayer 90% of all kills are rocket launcher, and 9% are Thunderbolt.  The other 1% consists of "whatever someone got lucky with".

I've gotten plenty of SNG kills, and several standard nailgun kills in Gen, and I've seen other players get their share of SNG kills.  Judging a weapon's effectiveness or lack thereof by watching exactly one player in exactly one demo is not a very thorough approach for criticism.  If you'd like a demonstration of SNG killing I'll be more than happy to provide one.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-14, 06:56 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Plein Tarif

« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-14, 08:03 »

I understand what you guys are saying.  To be honest, the main reason I wish I could use the SNG more was that I like the new model   Slipgate - Smile   You're certainly right that QW was never all about the Nailgun, and I suppose I would prefer to have the class authentic.  I guess it's time for me to buckle down and get good with the RL...
 Slipgate - Ownage
DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-14, 08:06 »

I really like using the SNG, but I always run out of Nails in a second, it seems. Wouldn't it be possible to increase the Nails-per-box or maximum Nails? Maybe people will use the weapon more then, I would.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-14, 09:02 »

We've tossed around item quantity questions before.  Currently the nailer gets ammo from three sources - 25 from machinegun boxes, 50 from plasma and railgun slugs.  Those were the small and large nail box quantities from Quake, and all are usually abundant.  It's just that the SNG eats ammo like popcorn, just like the Quake manual says. Slipgate - Wink

I think the biggest problem with weapons like the nailers is a need for practice.  They are not easy weapons to use, just like the Q2 hyperblaster, but the SNG, like the hyper, can be lethal so long as you can make the projectiles connect.  I've upload a demo where I hand a Skill 4 Ranger bot his ass on a silver platter on Q3DM1 using only nailers.  I got one axe kill when I ran out, and I did use the rocket launcher for some minor suppressing fire, but take a look.

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/generations...emos/sng1.dm_68

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-14, 12:40 »

Pho also forgot to mention that those using basic machineguns drop them fully loaded (30 nails, I believe)... as does a Doomer using the chainsaw.

Granted that involves killing someone, but it's still a source of ammo. And, at times, a slippy backpack can be a blessing.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-14, 12:51 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-14, 13:58 »

You got to hate timezones (or sleep.. or .. whatever), delayed response follows:

Let me clarify a few things in regards to the demo that is somehow incorrectly regarded and presented as some kind of proof here:

- My playing style varies practically from day to day. Some days I will avoid using grenades, some days I'll stick to rail only - others I won't touch nails or plasma. You can't take a single demo and present it as either an unchanging style of play, or a proof of arsenal-choice.

- If I shoot a door to open, I fire one nail. If I'm shooting more than that, I'm probably anticipating someone to run through it in a hurry :p
- When I'm running away, this has more to do with respawning items or health than with the actual weapons available, especially if I still have nails.

- I very often switch to fists/axe/gauntlet even when I don't have to, just like I do a good discharge in the water when I can - for fun, because that's the real reason I (and everyone) should be making those choices for :]

- Even when I'm trying to kick as much ass as possible, I prefer shotguns. Hitscan weapons allow me to keep more in control of the situation, and they just feel nice to play with - this is a personal preference.

- My general aggressive-defensive/fast paced style of play allows for relatively few moments where delayed suppressive fire is useful. That would exactly be the times that I recommend the use of flamer, SNG, hyper etc.

- And finally, everyone keeps gabbing about how good I am, but let's be realistic here: I'm not a supergamer, I happen to be an amateur too. I make mistakes, I have off-days (probably while that demo was recorded, by the sound of it Slipgate - Wink) and, most importantly, just like everybody else,  I have strong and weak points in the arena; I suck with some weapons, and kick ass with others. Although I use my nails better than some others, this is generally one of my weak spots.

Even so, there is only one person on the planet who knows what I want, and that's me :]
And I want to use the SNG, because it's cool. Don't be fooled by what you see every now and then.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-14, 15:01 »

Yes, time zones suck.

Basically, what Pho said. I personally found that the only time Q1 nails seemed to move any faster was in standard SP Q1. Even in QW I thought they were a bit slow. That said, it was probably more down to having slower targets to shoot in SP.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2005-05-14, 19:23 »

Maybe its time wew had a nailgun only match. that would get everyone using it. It might mean a new map or something.....
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-05-14, 20:13 »

Shambler:  Check my demo out.  Slipgate - Ninja

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #12 on: 2005-05-14, 20:40 »

Awesome demo, lol... 10 to 3. I tried the same thing and won 10 to 8. Nailguns only is pretty harsh on my play style, lol.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-05-14, 20:58 »

That looked so cool Pho, I had to hop the bandwagon (and to help remove any doubts about me wanting to use the gun Slipgate - Smile) - I think Ranger was acting a bit dumber than usual though, he killed himself twice and ended up with -1 -- lasted about 3 minutes :]

http://www.tabun.nl/tmp/gen/tab_supernailgun.zip

Even so, I personally wouldn't mind seeing the pickup ammo for the SNG upped from 30 to 50.
« Last Edit: 2005-05-14, 21:08 by Tabun » Logged

Nahand

Cacodemon

« Reply #14 on: 2005-05-14, 21:48 »

... i'm all for raising to 50 too Slipgate - Smile ...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2005-05-14, 21:53 »

I find that I'm either chronically short on nailgun ammo, or I am carrying a full backpack.  Very rarely do I have 'enough' without being overloaded.

I'd honestly raise the pickup to 50, but drop the ammo boxes to 30.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #16 on: 2005-05-14, 22:46 »

Well ammo in q1 respawned at a MUCH faster rate than it does in q3... so if someone picks up all the ammo, you're just stuck with the 30 from the pickup.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2005-05-15, 04:56 »

That's exactly what both Pho's and my demo confirm. Ammo is relatively hard to get, so the expected value/quantity is higher :]
« Last Edit: 2005-05-15, 04:56 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2005-05-15, 07:21 »

Nice shooting there Tab!  You're about the only other player I've seen so far that knows how to properly lead with that thing.  Excellent demonstration, and yes, the Ranger bot tends to be a bit of a dolt unless he's got the rocket launcher.

I'm not too keen on lowering the ammo counts for the large crates.  I don't see where having too much nail ammo is ever a problem.  Running short when you really, really need it is what normally tends to happen.  I have no problems with upping the weapon pickup quantity to 50, especially since that's only 25 actual shots from the SNG.  The proposed Oldschool mode will remain at 30, but 50 for normal play seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2005-05-15, 07:29 by Phoenix » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #19 on: 2005-05-15, 12:22 »

I agree. I tried to use the nails as often as I could last night in the match and always found myself running on empty.  

Slipgate - Off Topic  I also think the barrels on the SNG are too thin, and the gun seems to be still pointing at the wrong angle. Still love to use it though.

would anybody mind if I got a nailgun tatoo?! Slipgate - Ownage
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: