2024-05-09, 22:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: this is pretty neat (star bigger than the sun)  (Read 3881 times)
jess

Archvile

« on: 2005-02-09, 21:43 »

http://www.physorg.com/news2985.html

This is pretty cool..
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-09, 22:30 »

Wow.A star escaping a black hole :!: Pretty neat.

jess

Archvile

« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-09, 23:37 »

More like the galaxy :p
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #3 on: 2005-02-10, 08:42 »

not so much "escaping" as slingshotting :P

;)
« Last Edit: 2005-02-10, 08:45 by Dr. Jones » Logged
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #4 on: 2005-02-10, 15:37 »

Makes sence.What I meant was not much(if anything) leaves our galaxy,hence escape...anyways thanks for the pic it helped me better understand how it worked Thumbs up!

Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2005-02-10, 21:18 »

hey, no problem - just a few technical notes...

1) the altered trajectory my pic shows is not an actual computed path - just a doodle to illustrate roughly what happens

2) the black hole's gravitational pull is still affecting the trajectory of the star as it starts bending, which is still getting pulled until its momentum carries it beyond the reach of the black hole's gravity.
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #6 on: 2005-02-11, 00:00 »

That's cool.We've done alittle physic's in our "math" class in school.Math in quotes cause alot of it just picking info out of a paragraph...but the thing I was wondering the article says it's moving at 1.5 million miles an hour,so when it does break free from the black hole will it continue to accelerate or slow down.Hmm,damn that problem solving course  Slipgate - Distraught .Always thinking too deep,but a good question.

Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2005-02-11, 01:17 »

Quote from: death_stalker
but the thing I was wondering the article says it's moving at 1.5 million miles an hour,so when it does break free from the black hole will it continue to accelerate or slow down.
well if there were no other influences, it would continue at the velocity it was traveling at when it escaped the gravitational field of the black hole*.  however, since it's going to be passing other bodies, it's going to change both speed and direction, as each object it nears will begin by pulling it (thereby accelerating it), and as the star passes the object, it will begin to get pulled towards the object (altering trajectory again), and as the star pulls away from the object, the object's pull will decelerate the star.  i think overall the star will be decelerated, as it will inevitably collide with other things in space, thus transferring it's kinetic energy to the object it collided with - even assuming the star absorbs the object, you still have the same amount of energy distributed across a greater mass, so the overall velocity will decrease.

* assuming space as a vaccuum, since there are no objects to provide friction or collide with the star, there's nothing slowing it down.  by the same token, there's nothing providing an impulse to speed it up, so theoretically it would stay the same.  however, you're talking classical physics vs. newtonian physics ;)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: