2024-05-05, 22:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Servers? (mm TDM)  (Read 8380 times)
Damager

Light Guard

« on: 2005-04-26, 18:15 »

Love this mod, remember vividly the anxious wait for the first playable beta -
the talent on the team is great, and having updated recently after a while away, was pleasantly surprised to see some of the newer work done..

Just wondering if there were any servers other than the ones on the server page, as the only things that put me off are the politically correct, condescending 'hold your hand' rules on the rules/faq page and the fact that i've yet to see a Generations Arena TDM server.

Keep rockin', see you in the arena... unless I accidentally kill an AFKer and get banned or something (whatever happened to /g_inactivity 200 ?)  :!:
« Last Edit: 2005-04-26, 18:16 by Damager » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-04-26, 19:11 »

I wouldn't worry too much about the rules if I were you. On the Euro server, we don't act like rule-nazi's in any case - just don't destroy the fun for newbies, and all is good. No need to bash the admins for trying to fight stuff like deliberate and continuous cheap tactics - we're not a 'pro' mod.

If you're into that kind of thing specifically though, there's a Houston server (if it's still up) where the cheapest and easiest kinds of kills are actively promoted by the hoster.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2005-04-26, 19:13 »

The rules are there as guidelines. ie: no PURPOSEFUL slaying of afkers; if you're constantly punching afkers to death, you'll most likely be warned and later banned if it keeps up.

You might as well just say "don't be a dink." But we felt it was necessary to go over things that are not considered acceptable behaviour. We all get the occasional accidental chatfrag, just don't be a jerk and it's all good.

Quite simply:
Watch your mouth.
Don't spawnfrag.
Don't camp.
Let a player off every now and then if you know they're nowhere near your level.

We're not forcing you to hold hands and play Yoda to new players. Just try not to smear the newbs all over the arena. The rules state that this is decided on a case-by-case basis. The only real thing noone will put up with is camping. If you're gonna sit on an easily defended weapon spawn and kill everyone that comes by, you'll probably be removed.

The public server admins tend to prefer people that play for fun, not to win at any cost. Working for the win is one thing, but try and refrain from being a jackass and rubbing it everyone's face. For example,  "WOOO! I R TEH WINNAR!" is okay, albiet silly, but a "HAHAHA U FAGS ALL SUCK I PWNZD U ALL AND UR MAMAS!1!one!" is NOT, acceptable.

As for the game modes. Gen Central is occasionally put on rotations. I believe there's been talk of a TeamDM Tuesday. Keep your eye on the news and gen sections of the forum for news.

http://forums.wireheadstudios.org/index.ph...t=0&#entry25971

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #3 on: 2005-04-26, 19:30 »

There's a TDM game scheduled for tonight at 9pm (est)... and 9pm (cet) for the Euro game.

As for the rules... I've said it before when they were brought up months ago... I'll potshot a typer every now and then just to remind them of what's going on. I think I did this last night to Makou... and some guy named NoOne. I don't shoot them to kill them.. and if I do whip out the axe/knife/fist/blaster.. it's just for one swing.. not a humiliation kill. And I don't do it all the time.

Take your pick at which is actually worse tho... since I leave them with little health instead of a death and a fresh respawn. So yes.. I am a lamer in this regard. My chat-shootings are far from accidental.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2005-04-26, 19:55 »

Last Wednesday night I forgot that it was Forced Random TDM and for the first few minutes stood pumping plasma into a teammate wondering why the hell he would neither fight back nor drop Slipgate - Distraught

The rules are fair IMO. Unlike most Overkill servers that kick you for using the RL more than they deem appropriate (ie ever) the Gen servers are a tad more reasonable. Basically you only run the risk of being banned if you take the CounterStrike attitude, as outlined in Angst's post. I still don't agree with firing at chat bubbles in any case.

I play for fun, not to win (mainly 'cos I can't).

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #5 on: 2005-04-26, 21:14 »

Learn must we, better gamers through this

mwhaaaaaa
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-04-27, 03:07 »

To give a good example of what we don't like, last night someone by the name of Chyna deliberately chatfragged someone, was asked not to do it after doing it a second time, then he/she chatfragged ME while I was trying to ask another team member about what might have been a possible bug at the time.  This wasn't a stray rocket in a firefight, this was the "walk up to you and shove the shotgun up your nose" kind of chatfrag.  That sort of behavior will get you knocked off the server really fast. The stray rocket as someone just pops the chatbubble up won't, nor will taking someone out who throws up a chat bubble, waits for you to run by, and then shoots you in the back.  That kind of person deserves being taken out because they're cheaply taking advantage of someone else's honorable behavior.

It's blatant obvious chatkilling and camping that are pretty much the only things I'll knock people off a server for, and I give plenty fair warning.  We want everyone to have a good time, and we don't go out of our way to be jerks or bludgeon people with the rules.  Just play a good game, respect the other players, don't pitch a tent and don't go fragging every player with a chat bubble up "just because it's a free frag" and you'll be fine.  If someone decides to chat, say, right on the invulnerability spawn then yeah, by all means frag the guy, but if they're out of the way then don't go out of yours just for a cheap kill.  That's all we're asking.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2005-04-27, 11:36 »

I agree with all this (not that I matter) but whats an Afker, or AFK? some kind of noob?  Doom - Huh?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #8 on: 2005-04-27, 11:43 »

Away From Keyboard

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #9 on: 2005-04-27, 13:29 »

i do hate it myself, when your chatting but don't want to lose your score and somebody shoots a rocket in your face.

however last night i accidently chat fragged somebody, so whoever that was

Sorry

but on the whole i think the only people who tend to chatfrag or spawn frag are people who arn't looking for a descent game and just want to cause trouble and anarchy for the ones that do
DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #10 on: 2005-04-27, 13:33 »

So, what about this TeamDM Tuesday thingie? I like the sound of it, I think it's nice to have an element of cooperation sometimes. ;) Plus, the more Gen the better! Woo!
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #11 on: 2005-04-27, 13:41 »

Went rather well, I think, from the US point of view. Pho, Kajet, BigRob, Hollowpoint, a few others, and myself were there for the fun.

Pho even recorded a few demos, located in the '.99f Demos' sticky thread.

From a personal standpoint, I prefer TDM. So I hope TDM Tuesday continues working well... at least as well as it did last night.

DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #12 on: 2005-04-27, 13:43 »

Yeah but, is it 'official', like the games on Wednesday and Saturday, or was yesterday more of an experiment? Will there be another TDM game next Tuesday? Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2005-04-27, 13:46 by DOOM_er » Logged
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #13 on: 2005-04-27, 13:46 »

"It's official: We're adding a dedicated Team Deathmatch night to the game schedule. There's been a lot of interest in TDM lately, so really, how could we not? This does, of course, require an additional night..."

Quoted from the Generations front page, news post from April 22, 2005.

DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #14 on: 2005-04-27, 13:47 »

Ok, cool, I missed that one.
3 Gen games every week! Woo! :D
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #15 on: 2005-04-27, 16:41 »

I don't think that the rules are that hard to follow, and won't hinder anyone's tactics or playing style unless your cheap, cheap... cheap, cheap.... ;^)

however last night i accidently chat fragged somebody, so whoever that was

That was me. Slipgate - Laugh
No offense taken.  Slipgate - Smirk

3 Gen games every week! Woo! Slipgate - Laugh
I think it is four time a week, (Tues,Wed,Thurs,Sat)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

It was fun last night. Even though the Tabs was ungodly skillful in littering the maps with my guts.  Slipgate - Distraught  Looking forward to thursday.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-27, 16:44 by Little Washu » Logged

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #16 on: 2005-04-27, 17:17 »

Pho was a beast lastnight also...but hey, I had a blast!

*me looks over shoulder hoping NOT to see red*
LOL good game Thumbs up!

Damager

Light Guard

« Reply #17 on: 2005-04-27, 17:42 »

alrighty, great -thanks

yea, played some TDM at Euro server, was a lot of fun  Thumbs up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2005-04-28, 01:32 »

Just to add a correction - the Custom Game has been MOVED to Thursday now.  This means there's no officially organized game on Wednesday, but that does not mean you can't play any time!  Remember, things like genflags, dmflags, gametype, etc, can all be voted.  Just do this:

/callvote dmflags (number)
/callvote genflags (number)

Gametype can be called from the menu.  Eventually we'll have a more advanced voting system, but if you want to mix things up just RTFM for the dm and genflags, and propose some settings and voila, instant custom game.
 Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #19 on: 2005-04-28, 22:01 »

<picks up blue armour>

Whatever happened to CTF Monday?

<hides>

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: