2024-05-08, 19:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Earth Soldiers Proposed Weapon  (Read 9351 times)
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« on: 2003-11-26, 19:38 »

Since RTCW is an Id Software game (sort of) and has an assault rifle, the FG42, why not put it or the other German assault rifle, the Sturmgewehr 44, in as an Earth Soldiers weapon? It would share ammo with the sniper rifle, fire more slowly than the MP40, and do more damage per shot. It would be kind of unique as it would bridge the gap between a machinegun and a sniper weapon.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-26, 19:59 »

Although the idea is nice, we are not:

- unhappy with the current selection of earth weapons
- going to add more weapons, since it's practically impossible
- going to risk messing up the carefully created balance over the years/versions

Among other things.. I'm sure Pho will add his flawless rant here soon enough :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-26, 21:13 »

Also, we're not basing the Earth class of RTCW. It's a bit of Wolf3d, a bit of RTCW, and a lot of artistic license.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-27, 01:59 »

I know it's not based on one source; that's why I proposed the Sturmgewehr 44 as an alternative, since it appears in neither Wolfenstein game.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-27, 03:24 »

The Earth soldier doesn't need another gun though. He has all his bases covered. Long range, mid range, close range.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-27, 05:38 »

A good polishing wouldn't hurt though  Slipgate - Laugh
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-27, 06:48 »

*points Tekhead to the BETA tag on the mod*  Slipgate - Laugh

We really didn't take much of anything from RTCW.  We went mostly back to Wolf3D for our Earth Soldiers class, and also added elements from Generations for Quake 2.  The dualgats as well as the flamer were in the Q2 version, though in a much different form.  We replaced the "bazooka" with the mortar because we've already got 4 rocket launchers.  One is slow, but fires fast and packs a strong punch.  One flies fast, refires slower and knocks people around like nothing else.  Another is slow, refires ok, and isn't really all that punchy, and one flies at a decent speed, refires at a decent speed, and has decent damage.  What else can you do with a rocket launcher except change it's speed, change it's damage, and change how hard it kicks people around?  We decided to change the weapon entirely and come up with something unique.  Same goes with the Rifle.  Wolf had no long-range gun, so we decided to add a big, powerful sniper rifle that actually launches a ballistic projectile ( flies through the air and drops with gravity ) as opposed to hitscan traces (a trail-less railgun, yay), and can ricochet off of things.  We did take some artistic license there, and it's been well worth it.

As far as adding an "assault rifle", it would be redundant.  By classic definition an assault rifle is effective to ranges of 300 meters, fires a rifle caliber bullet with good accuracy (1 MOA at 100 meters is the NATO standard), has a large, detachable box magazine, and can be fired fully automatically.  It's a "general-purpose" weapon that can fill the roll of battle rifle for longer ranges and submachinegun for close-quarters fighting.  What role would an assault rifle fill that another gun doesn't already?  The sniper rifle does massive damage at long range.  The gatling gun does strong damage at medium ranges with a fair degree of accuracy.  The dualgats puree anything up close and personal.  The MP-40 is more ammo conservative, fires on a flatter arc and is decent for medium ranges, and is weak enough to pass as a "spawn weapon".  The Luger is extremely accurate, and while it doesn't do much damage you can kill a fleeing opponent, save bullets if you're dangerously low, or flat out embarrass someone.  Besides that, Rifle ammo is in packs of 10, so you'd burn it up in a heartbeat sharing it with an automatic weapon.

I can't see any reason why an "all-in-one" gun like this should be implemented with the Earth class.  While the Sturmgewehr was a very nice weapon in real life, our Earth Soldiers class has other weapons that fill those rolls.   Besides, part of Deathmatch is finding different weapons for different situations, and knowing when to use which one.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-28, 00:54 »

How about you change the sniper rifle to look like a real WW2 rifle? I'd suggest the Mauser Karabiner 98k or the K43 in the tradition of German weapons in Wolfenstein.

If that's too RTCW, you can use a Garand without the silly "snooper" gear and silencer from RTCW.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-28, 00:56 by Woolie Wool » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-28, 03:41 »

Or how about we leave it modeled just like it is?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-28, 03:58 »

Having a German or American (or any nation...) sniper rifle form WW2 would help out with Earth's theme in weapons. We could say that the ammo and barrel were modified so that they'd be effective in the arena Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-28, 07:19 »

To set the record straight, not ALL of Earth's weapons are WWII era here.  The Napalm Launcher and Mortar are post-WWII era, pre Doom Era.  The sniper rifle is a Barrett M82A1 because it fits the roll we want it to fit:  Semi-auto, extremely damaging, and damned sharp looking.  It's also a pain in the ass to animate a bolt-action rifle like a Mauser, and we do NOT want "yet another AWP".  The Barrett stays.

Also... I realize this is going back a ways, but if anyone's read the old story that Lee was working on Sgt. Blaze's life expectancy was drastically enhanced due to contact with an experimental Nazi serum that the evil doctor was working on.  As a result, Sarge lived up to the Doom era before being taken by the Vadrigar, as shown in the intro clip to Quake 3.  Post WWII era weapons being in his arsenal is NOT out of place with our storyline.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-28, 07:20 by Phoenix » Logged

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-04, 07:00 »

While this is not directly related to the question asked, I just wanted to point out that the bazooka and the flame thrower were both present in the Macintosh version of Wolf3D and I've been told that they're in the SNES version as well.  (I'll have to double-check.  I don't remember.)  So the Earth class is pretty much based on Wolf3D, artistic license, and balancing concerns in my opinion.

Sort of on-topic...
I personally love the Barrett because it's the only sniper rifle I've seen that'll propel you upward when you aim at your feet and time your jumping right. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2003-12-04, 07:01 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2003-12-04, 07:01 »

Oh yeah, sniperjumping owns! You get a higher jump for less damage that way. Slipgate - Wink
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-05, 05:18 »

Sniper jumping....i always forget that and go splat.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-05, 15:27 »

the only problem with the  Barrett  is the scope. it shouldnt be there if you cant use it! it drives me mad! i press the zoom key and i get the same lame zoom i get with any other weapon! it drives me to drink!!! But one a diffrent note the need for authentic WWII weapons in Gen is really nonexistent. If your looking for somthing like that play call of duty. its a fine game.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-05, 15:31 by Woodsman » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2003-12-06, 08:12 »

Well, a "different scope view" has been requested in the past.  It may be possible to do something special with it, but it's one of those "nifty graphical things that gets backburnered" so for now we just stuck with the normal Q3 zoom.  We may or may not do something different later.  As far as I'm concerned it's not a completely dead issue.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2003-12-07, 00:39 »

it drives me to drink!!!

now is it that bad to drink  Slipgate - Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: