2024-05-12, 18:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake III Arena Source...  (Read 17386 times)
lord_malchia

« on: 2005-01-05, 07:58 »

I intended to release the Q3 source under the GPL by the end of 2004, but we had another large technology licensing deal go through, and it would be poor form to make the source public a few months after a company paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for full rights to it. True, being public under the GPL isn?t the same as having a royalty free license without the need to disclose the source, but I?m pretty sure there would be some hard feelings.

Previous source code releases were held up until the last commercial license of the technology shipped, but with the evolving nature of game engines today, it is a lot less clear. There are still bits of early Quake code in Half Life 2, and the remaining licensees of Q3 technology intend to continue their internal developments along similar lines, so there probably won?t be nearly as sharp a cutoff as before. I am still committed to making as much source public as I can, and I won?t wait until the titles from the latest deal have actually shipped, but it is still going to be a little while before I feel comfortable doing the release.

That was taken from John Carmack's blog... If the Quake III source code were to be released, what would that mean for Generations Arena? Is there any interesting functions that you could then implement with the newly aquired knowledge? Would it greatly improve the chances of Ressurgence? Just curious if there was ever a time when you said "Man, I wish I had the full thing, then I could do this!".
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-05, 08:36 »

I can think of a few things I'd like to do with it.  The first is to fix the server uptime framerate decay problem that's requiring us to have server admins restart once a day.  Also I'd like to be able to have clients retain a memory cache of models and graphics so they don't have to be reloaded every time you change maps.  Beyond that, there's a few other things that have been floating in the back of my mind, but I can't quite bring them all to mind at present.

Resurgence has nothing to do with the quake3.exe at this point.  It's a question of getting all the other major stuff done for Gen before adding another large amount of complex code.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-05, 22:26 »

Needless to say, the source's release would open up alot of oppurtunities and possibly make the code that was hacked in easier to deal with for the mod.*

*I know nothing about coding. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-06, 01:01 »

*cough*eyecandy*cough*

The .exe source would give us access to the renderer, and some more freedom with the bot code.

What does that mean in english? The potential to fix/add lighting functions, bumpmapping, etc. And to improve (provided we have time and a crazy coder) the botcode.

Beyond that, the vast majority of what we have slated in generations is already possible, or being worked on.

Resurgence is still a possibility, even without the .exe source, but the gameplay code needs to be finalized before we start doing monsters.

Pho's said it before, if someone feels like footing the bills, he can dedicate more time to it Slipgate - Tongue.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
lord_malchia

« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-06, 03:45 »

Hmmm, eye candy would be awsome... But wouldn't the addition of bump mapping require that all of the skins and textures be redone... Or at least have those additional layers added?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-06, 03:49 »

Support for the extra layers. if the layer is lacking, it'd be flat-shaded as it were.

And frankly, normal-mapping would be a post 1.0 feature anyway I'd imagine.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-06, 06:07 »

Not to mention that I know absolutely nothing about OpenGL programming...

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-01-06, 08:39 »

Adding normal-mapping to the Q3A engine would be a bit like making gold decorations on a rusty old bike. Don't see why, it runs fine without - let the Tenebrae fans worry about all that ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-01-06, 08:39 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-06, 09:46 »

It'd look like this:
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2005-01-06, 10:17 »

normal maps are like alpha channels, if they're used improperly, they make it look funky.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2005-01-06, 16:56 »

tek , I would remove that ricer before rick sees it .
lord_malchia

« Reply #11 on: 2005-01-06, 23:34 »

It'd look like some Fast and the Furious-esque wiger-mobile?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2005-01-07, 00:29 »

I whould love to see normal maps in q3..but i rather have REAL dynamic lights Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2005-01-07, 00:29 by ReBoOt » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-01-07, 00:50 »

I really don't understand why though... If you want fancy new graphics, there's HL2 and D3 -- Q3 will NEVER be like that, even if all the technical implementations are made, the artwork won't match, and when the artwork is re-made (which will take YEARS), you have an old physics engine with nice graphics, while you could be playing a new physics engine with nice graphics :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2005-01-07, 06:37 »

Bump-mapping on our weapons could, in theory, make them look very nice, but the problem is the textures have to be created with bump mapping in mind from the start.  It's not enough to just start pushing pixels up or down, it has to be thought out.  It would certainly do a disservice to Tab's existing artwork, which I think is outstanding enough without bump maps, and I certainly wouldn't ask our skinner to redo all that hard work all over again.  If bump mapping were an option from the beginning, then sure, we could have used it for some finer detail that's done with geometry and texturing right now, but I'd rather not mess with what already looks great.  It's a fine concept, but I think our energies can be better spent on other things, such as actual gameplay, and those animations everyone's been wanting to see.  Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2005-01-07, 06:37 by Phoenix » Logged

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2005-01-07, 11:32 »

I actually wanna see lights be triggable , so that you can switch the lights in a room out and fight in the dark or so .
but iwould like animations to Slipgate - Laugh

about the mobile , I like his exhaust .
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-01-07, 18:27 »

Slipgate - Off Topic By the time you get done "tricking out" a ricer, you could have paid the same to buy a real car, like this:

and if you save enough, maybe even something like this:

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2005-01-07, 20:23 »

Actually Phoenix, that is my pictorial point. I hope everyone understands my correlation between the cars and the game engines =]
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2005-01-07, 20:56 »

that would be a firebirdwich I wouldnt buy since for a little bit more monyey you can buy a trans am wich has a v8 engine instead of a v6 engine .
and t be honest , i like the plymouth roadrunner , ford mustang and dodge charger more .

but I wouldnt buy those cars for every day use sincegasoline costs 1+ euro/liter thanks to your precious iraqi war .
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #19 on: 2005-01-07, 21:41 »

< Slipgate - Off Topic >As my father commented to someone a little while ago, the Trans Am is a penis envy car. I'd never buy one. Firebird all the way.< /:offtopic: >
« Last Edit: 2005-01-07, 21:41 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: