2024-05-13, 07:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake III Arena Source...  (Read 17400 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2005-01-07, 22:38 »

Quote from: games keeper
but I wouldnt buy those cars for every day use sincegasoline costs 1+ euro/liter thanks to your precious iraqi war .
Slipgate - Off Topic  Newsflash:  OPEC sets fuel prices, and they decided to jack the rates up because they're greedy.  Iraq had nothing to do with it, unless of course you consider the illegal export of oil and resultant bloodmoney during the Oil for Food program to have been a good thing?  First the US went to war for Iraq's oil, now everyone's bitching because there's not enough oil.  Sorry, can't have it both ways.  In addition to that, I can assure you that the United States has absolutely zero control over the EU's price regulations, since the EU hates the US and wants to be the big power on the world stage and has been nudging the US out of everything it can as often as possible for the last decade.  You want cheaper gas over there?  Start drilling, lobby to relax fuel taxes, or else pipe down and deal with it.  Gas prices in Europe are high because your politicians allow it and seem to desire it that way.  In the US you pay on average between $1.70 ~ $2.10 a gallon depending on where you live and what grade you want.  I see no reason why Europeans couldn't pay the same rates, at least, no market-related reason that is.  Slipgate - Off Topic

Tek:  Well the Q3 engine is a decent engine.  It's just lacking some features I'd like to see.  Speaking of those, and moving back on topic (at least until Games Keeper posts a rebuttal rant), here's a few I remembered just recently:

An rgbGen entityDiffuse shader keyword.  This would allow the code to control what color an item gets painted, but still pass it through lightmaps.  Think glow-in-the-dark Skippy no longer glowing in the dark.

Better access to some cvar variables that are currently set at annoying defaults.

Raw RGB control for Doom's invulnerability effect so I don't have to use a multi-pass shader hack, AND we could give it the true monochrome effect.

The ability to add new variables to entityState and playerState that currently require clever hacks to work around.

I'll add to the list as things come to mind.
 Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #21 on: 2005-01-07, 23:03 »

pho , and why just During the war did the prices go from high to skyhigh .
the reason of the high gaspricing is to protect the market .
this way people aint gonna buy amercan fuelconsuming cars that fast .
because those cars also got a lot of torque and here you get axed on that .
in your country you will probably get taxed on other stuff on cars and thats why you peope would never drive a smart .

http://www.supercars.de/?show=single_scree...DAvMDEzLmpwZw==
« Last Edit: 2005-01-07, 23:03 by games keeper » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2005-01-08, 05:21 »

I already answered that question, OPEC raised the prices because they're greedy.  That's the plain truth.  If you're unwilling to accept that fact it's no down off my back.

What you're also forgetting is that Americans are fiercely independent and don't like being told what to do by anybody.  As long as they have enough cash they're going to keep buying whatever they want to.  Sure, some prefer fuel economy and buy smaller cars as a result, but many people in the US have a love of big, powerful vehicles that (unfortunately) tend to guzzle lots of gas.  It's no different than people who like big, powerful firearms, or big powerful biceps.  It's the reason you go for the Quad Damage, or that BFG.  Powerful feels good.
Slipgate - Smirk

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #23 on: 2005-01-08, 12:42 »

The problem is, we're stuck with the old car we have. We can't get a better ride, so we're stuck with modding up the old one. So you can just forget about that Fireb-- er, better engine.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2005-01-08, 14:12 »

and what for car is that old car .

btw pho , instead of a pontiac firebird , go out and buy a plymouth superbird .
thats power and gas eating .
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2005-01-08, 17:30 »

...what the hell does power and gas and technical car crap have to do with the Quake 3 source??

======////// Thread Derailed.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-08, 17:33 by Tekhead » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2005-01-08, 23:14 »

Your fault Tek, you posted the Ricer pic.  You should have known there would be consequences!  Slipgate - Ninja

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2005-01-08, 23:38 »

Especially with car-nuts like GK around.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #28 on: 2005-01-09, 06:38 »

Cars: Dodge Viper all the way. (couldn't drive one in this country, though ...)

Oil prices: "So what if it gets three miles to the gallon? I'm a mom, not a conservationist!"

Q3 source: Forget bump-mapping, my hardware's crap enough, thank you.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #29 on: 2005-01-09, 15:23 »

maybe we should make a seperate car topic .
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #30 on: 2005-01-10, 04:01 »

Quote from: games keeper
and what for car is that old car .
IT WAS A METAPHOR. Banging Head against Wall
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #31 on: 2005-01-10, 08:22 »

Quote from: Tabun
Adding normal-mapping to the Q3A engine would be a bit like making gold decorations on a rusty old bike. Don't see why, it runs fine without - let the Tenebrae fans worry about all that ;]
Tenebrae was so poorly coded that it slowed my Athlon 2700+ and ATi Radeon 9200 down into framerates best described in seconds per frame even when only one brush was visible. It was slower than Doom 3, slower even than Far Cry at high detail in 1024x768.

Pho: A '70 Dodge Challenger with a 426 Hemi could own your pitiful GM car:

I don't think I'd ever buy one in purple though.
« Last Edit: 2005-01-10, 08:31 by Woolie Wool » Logged
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #32 on: 2005-01-10, 08:29 »

I really don't understand why though... If you want fancy new graphics, there's HL2 and D3 -- Q3 will NEVER be like that, even if all the technical implementations are made, the artwork won't match, and when the artwork is re-made (which will take YEARS), you have an old physics engine with nice graphics, while you could be playing a new physics engine with nice graphics :]
The FS2_Open engine for FreeSpace 2 supports specularity, environment mapping, 32-bit textures, and effects, HT&L, hi-poly models, and more, and, except for the hi-poly models, all of the new textures and stuff required for this to look its best have been made. The hi-res textures for ALL ships are about 90% complete, and the specular maps for every ship and object were done in months. A complete hi-res texture set has been made for Doom II. If there is a concerted effort among many people in the community, we can pull this off.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2005-01-10, 14:51 »

A complete hi-res texture set has been made for Doom II

Complete? Yes.
Hi-Res? ehr.. yes, I guess.
Quality? None.

I have seen retexturing projects, and they generally suck. One or two able artists make a handful of textures for them, but the remainder is slammed together by utter newbies, resulting in a horrible collection of low quality psuedo-improved textures. Par example: they used my (gen) doom-door, and cut it up into bits to 'make' other textures, which all sucked as a result.

No, I don't think retexturing 'projects' are the way to go. Especially not if the textures have to be normal mapped.

P.S. And please people, stop discussing bloody automobiles in the Generations forum...
« Last Edit: 2005-01-10, 20:44 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2005-01-10, 19:31 »

Slipgate - Off Topic Woolie:  It's not just about horsepower.  It's a balance of power, style, appearance, and of course, name.  Besides, you're opening up a whole new car discussion which could go into stock vs modified, etc, of which we really need to go back on topic as Tabun has stated.  The only "such-n-such would own such-n-such" that belongs on this forum would read "Generation A would own Generation B".  Slipgate - Off Topic

Now, back to the discussion of the topic:  Quake III Arena engine modification, as opposed to automobile engines and their accompanying housings.
 Slipgate - Smirk
« Last Edit: 2005-01-10, 19:31 by Phoenix » Logged

Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #35 on: 2005-01-10, 20:45 »

Complete? Yes.
Hi-Res? ehr.. yes, I guess.
Quality? None.

I have seen retexturing projects, and they generally suck. One or two able artists make a handful of textures for them, but the remainder is slammed together by utter newbies, resulting in a horrible collection of low quality psuedo-improved textures. Par example: they used my (gen) doom-door, and cut it up into bits to 'make' other textures, which all sucked as a result.

No, I don't think retexturing 'projects' are the way to go. Especially not if the textures have to be normal mapped.

P.S. And please people, stop discussing bloody automobiles in the Generation forum...
Uhh, the FreeSpace texture projects are the best I've ever seen. They have some very talented people there, and the textures look just like the originals, except better (actually, they're made using the originals as a base, unlike the Doom ones). The specular maps in particular are beautiful, and make FS2 look a lot better than it did in 1999.  The percentage of really talented people in the FreeSpace community is much higher than in most other game communities as the game was never really advertised by its publisher except for a couple of internet trailers (it deserved more; the game was easily in the top three best PC games of 1999), and thus never had the chance to attract a following outside of the diehards.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2005-01-10, 20:47 »

Well if you can get the FS people to learn about new mapping techniques, and get the whole team organised and working on Q3Vanillaebra, go right ahead. If you're counting on people from the average/normal communities to work on it, expect garbage, that's all I'm saying.

Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #37 on: 2005-01-10, 21:08 »

It's starting to seem as if the larger a community is, the harder it is to get a decent pool of talent together. Doom 3 sites are jammed with "I'm going to make a TC even though I've never touched a map or even an image editor before in my life" hosted projects. I wonder if even 5% of the Doom 3 projects under construction today will ever reach fruition.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #38 on: 2005-01-10, 22:54 »

Aye, it looks like a lot of 'teams' are in for a big shock. The problem with the older and larger communities is generally that (good) artists are all too eager to move on. Old engines limit their possibilities and they don't like getting tied down to an 'old' project. I seem to be an exception to that rule ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-01-10, 22:54 by Tabun » Logged

Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #39 on: 2005-01-10, 23:23 »

Aye, it looks like a lot of 'teams' are in for a big shock. The problem with the older and larger communities is generally that (good) artists are all too eager to move on. Old engines limit their possibilities and they don't like getting tied down to an 'old' project. I seem to be an exception to that rule ;]
The talented FS2 editors will probably never "move on",. and most Doom I/II mod makers are far beyond the point of moving on--if you want to move on whenever the Next Big Thing comes out, you won't be editing an 11-year-old game.

One interesting thing about the major Doom mods being made today, though, is that they exceed almost all modern games in every area except graphics and AI (the AI is hardcoded so it can't really be changed). RTC-3057 has a better storyline, better gameplay and balance, almost as much architectural detail, more extensive and sophisticated scripting, and a better overall experience than Doom 3, Far Cry, or Half-Life 2. Do something for 10 years, and you can become very, very good at it (I say 10 instead of 11 because the first Doom map editor wasn't released until some time after Doom was released)..

They sure do make good use of what they have, even in graphics:

Screenshots can be found by clicking here because the board software doesn't like dynamic stuff in IMG tags]
« Last Edit: 2005-01-10, 23:27 by Woolie Wool » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: