2024-05-12, 22:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slipgate (OCD Fix)  (Read 19681 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #40 on: 2005-05-10, 00:22 »

I brought up the question of green armour a while ago with the idea of possible CPM map compatibility as many CPM maps are great in Gen (Hubster's first Aerowalk remake comes to mind). It would be nice to see.

A single Doom rocket would be great for the grenade ammo spawns IMO. It would certainly help with gameplay balance as Doom rockets wouldn't be as abundant.

Not too sure about the Megasphere though as only Doom had those.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #41 on: 2005-05-10, 00:50 »

So did doom only had berserk, it would be great for all classes. Slipgate - Smile
 Slipgate - Ownage

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #42 on: 2005-05-10, 04:00 »

As much as some people hate to hear or know this, nothing will ever be done with this mod to make it "CPM compatible." Period, end of story. If something like a green armor pickup (other than shards) is ever created, it will be because Phoenix feels it will add something to Generations. It would probably still not be fully compatible with a CPM-specific map.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #43 on: 2005-05-10, 04:12 »

Well there's no reason I can't use the same item name CPM did, that would solve both problems for green armor.  Otherwise Makou is right.  CPM is it's own mod, Gen is it's own mod.  I'm not against a green armor pickup at some point.

About the other items, "Supercharge" is the message you get when you pick up a blue Soul Sphere (our current megahealth).  You're mixing this up with the Megasphere, which was the brown orb with the mancubus face that gave you 200/200.  I am extremely loathe to put a megasphere into Gen for the same reason I'm loathe to include Quake 2's power shield.  It's just too damned strong.  You think a player like Tab or myself is unstoppable now?  Sure, someone else can grab one, but the same goes for Quad and Invuln, etc.  It would throw balance completely out the window.

Some smaller pickups like Doom's single rocket just don't  translate too well.  This is one of those things I'd definitely want to balance test well before implementing.

I don't think we're going to change the armor shard pickup at this point.  It's small, it's purpleish, and easy to tell from the Haste powerup which glows a nice gold color.  If someone's colorblind, well, sucks to be you I guess?
Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #44 on: 2005-05-10, 21:45 »

One solution to the PowerSheild/ MegaShere Slipgate - Smile thing may be to have some special item for each class. Strogg has its Power Sheild, Doom its MegaShere Slipgate - Smile and figure out a some clever ideas for the other classes, keeping their strengths and weeknesses in mind to protein balance. About what if Pho, and Tabun has it, well... If a terrible player (me) wants to get any better, they will have to face ultra hard players, until they practice and practice and just get better.  Slipgate - Ownage That's how anyone becomes an expert at almost anything, is pure practice. Watering down something for "noobs" is really a dis-service, they won't get any better unless their asses get kicked a few times, then they start developing their own techniques, you know. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2005-05-10, 21:45 by Little Washu » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #45 on: 2005-05-11, 01:00 »

There also needs to be a limit me thinks... hence why they felt the need to change the q3 BFG.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2005-05-11, 05:00 »

Entirely in agreement with Pho here.

I'm not too fond of the idea of green armor, since it means I have to do more modeling work :p

Useable powerups for Strogg doesn't make sense, since this is deathmatch. In deathmatch Q2, powerups took effect immediately.

Slipgate armor shard model looks fine to me. Since I don't know any place where a single shard is spawned (they pretty much always come in rows or bunches), it would be odd if people believed there would be four power-ups up for grabs, right next to eachother. They're also a great deal smaller, and have no glow.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #47 on: 2005-05-11, 05:18 »

Power Shield = NO FREAKING WAY. It was too hard to take someone out in Q2 deathmatch when they had it -- you can ask Phoenix for the numbers. It's insane. You'd have to rail someone who's fully loaded more times than anyone has any right to survive. About the only way to take him out would be with Quad Slipgate or Strogg rockets. Game breaking? I think so.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #48 on: 2005-05-11, 21:49 »

Tab, I also have to agree that a "kneepad" or half of Rangers armor plate from his chest would look better as a shark for the Slipgate guys  Slipgate - Ninja
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #49 on: 2005-05-11, 22:32 »

Im afraid i have to agree also a kneepad whould be a cool looking slippy shard, tho the rune is quite cool too, but it whould feel more right with that kneepad.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #50 on: 2005-05-11, 22:35 »

I'm with the rune

quake was always a bit on the occult side and the runes were in the original

so i reckon the runes should stay.

it's like wanting to change the strogg shards, or arena shards
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #51 on: 2005-05-11, 22:39 »

Quote from: Lordbane2110
it's like wanting to change the strogg shards, or arena shards
... except not, because the Arena shards are what they are in normal Q3A, and Strogg's shards are based on the armor shards in Q2.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #52 on: 2005-05-11, 23:29 »

I'm happy enough with the runes, myself. The first time I saw them I knew what they were.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #53 on: 2005-05-12, 00:42 »

I'm happy enough with the rune. I think there was a mod for Quake tho that used the four runes in a similar fashion to what those CTF techs do, but it doesn't bother me.

Like was said already, they come in bunches.. are somewhat smaller.. and don't stand out as well with a glow or whatever. So getting them confused with a powerup is nill. The rune works well enough, and it fits the theme.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #54 on: 2005-05-12, 05:17 »

The only way it could be entirely confusing is if we actually had the runes as runes.  The CTF Techs are using the Q2 model format.  We're content with that, they do pretty much the same thing, and there's absolutely no Wolf or Doom equivalent whatsoever.  The only thing close in Q3 is the persistant powerups, but those are Team Arena anyway, so there's no sense in making a ton of models for items that are seldom used anyway.  It's not like the normal powerups which are seen on just about every map.

Bottom line - if it's not broke, why fix it?  I'm happy with the rune-shaped shards, and I see no reason to change it.  I don't like the kneepad idea, it's too UT-ish.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: