2024-05-04, 12:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamespy/ign Merger (Holy !@#$)  (Read 11273 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2003-12-04, 23:03 »

http://www.shacknews.com/redir_comments.x?id=29549

Wow. I also suggest you read the Shack comments on this one. Quite funny.

I'm gonna laugh if I end up having to move this to CC as well. Slipgate - Wink
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-04, 23:19 »

Well, spork me.
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-04, 23:24 »

Thats pretty cool, two of the biggest gaming sites teaming up.  Both have way too many GD advertisements, though.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-04, 23:24 by MantiCore » Logged
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-05, 00:43 »

Fainting
That... is... just... wrong... horribly, horribly... wrong.

In the immortal words of Bender,
"Well, we're boned."

I could go on more, but then I think Con would have to move this to CC.  Though I do hope some other forum members are a bit more vocal about their opinions than I.  Sipgate - Evil

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-05, 00:58 »

Hehe, go ahead. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want your opinion. But if it starts an arguement, I'll just move it to CC. Takes me about 30 seconds. I have to load the thread, scroll to the bottom, select 'MOVE TOPIC' from the moderation options, click OK, pick the forum to move it to, click OK on the 'are you sure page', and it's done.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-05, 10:13 »

Eh... well thinking about it, I'm not going to go off on a rant.  I'll just mope and say that I am extremely disappointed by Gamespy.  I've been lead to this conclusion through a culmination of events and not based soley on recent events (namely the infamous overrated games article and the cease and desist order sent to the guy who found security flaws in GSA.)  This merging with IGN puts the icing on the cake though.  It pretty much removes all doubt from my mind where the quality and resourcefulness of GS is going to go.

I wish the two companies the best of luck because hey, business is business.  GS has always been kind of weak in the console department.  Maybe they'll be able to garner support and create the best source for news about the videogame industry.  Maybe.

I only hope that the planet sites won't be majorly affected by this merging, especially the ones that are essentially closed sans the hosted sites and the forums.  Well anyhow, here's a thanks to all those editors that were laid off/reassigned when 3DActionPlanet got cut.  May you all be giddily laughing and rolling around on the ground at the current state of your ex-employer.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-05, 10:18 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-05, 15:22 »

were all screwed. They have to be stoped.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-05, 15:23 by Woodsman » Logged
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-05, 22:49 »

I'M LOVIN' IT!

...except not.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-05, 23:14 »

:blink:

Jeebus.
 I don't  care about IGN since I've never been there, but I do frequest a GS site once in a while.  I hope they don't switch over as far as that...
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-05, 23:16 »

Was that screeny 'shoped?  I just went there, and it doesn't look that way to me...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-05, 23:26 »

Probably, the complaint here is, IGN did a number by screwing it's reader-base by forcing you to register and pay for any of the useful content. Gamespy has recently started doing the same. And even if you ARE registered, even if you DO pay them, you STILL get bombarded with ads. End result, imagine you're watching tv, and during a "half-hour show" you get to watch 10 minutes of show, and 20 minutes of commercials.

That's what's got everyone bitching, too much advertising, not enough content.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-05, 23:28 »

Quote from: Angst
Probably, the complaint here is, IGN did a number by screwing it's reader-base by forcing you to register and pay for any of the useful content. Gamespy has recently started doing the same. And even if you ARE registered, even if you DO pay them, you STILL get bombarded with ads. End result, imagine you're watching tv, and during a "half-hour show" you get to watch 10 minutes of show, and 20 minutes of commercials.

make that a "half-hour Pay-per-view show" and it's even more true Slipgate - Smile
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #12 on: 2003-12-06, 00:36 »

It's not just the "pay-per-view" thing that bothers me, but the overall quality of IGN.  IGN is the videogame equivalent of modern-day MTV.  It absolutely sucks, has insignificant quality content, caters to stereotyping, and thinks it has a grasp of understanding what's humorous when it really does not.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-06, 00:38 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-06, 02:46 »

Quote from: Angst
Well, spork it all anyway then.  I guess I just don't give a damn either way since I don't visit either site.  If you look around enough, you can find alternatives to both sites.  It's more work, and it's not an everything in one spot portal like GS used to be, but you can get the same.
I just tried to d/l UT2 XMP demo from GS.  Couldn't even get on the waiting line cause they were that busy.  Looked around and five minutes later I was getting it @ 170k/s from somewhere else.
As far as news content, GS has never been any good for that, aside from a few of the individual sites (like PQ - that's still not too bad even if there is alot more fluff than there used to be).
So, I guess I don't get why everbody is so worked up.  If you don't like it, don't go.  Economics will soon take care of it.
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-06, 04:13 »

By the way, that screenshot is 100% real.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2003-12-06, 07:50 »

As a rule, I hate mergers.  Every time I hear about a merger it means ceo.money++ && product.quality --.  I'm against big anything.  Big Govermment, Big Business, etc.  The only things that have a God-given right to be big are dinosaurs and celestial bodies in my opinion.  This will only lead to more bad stuff.  What's the point of this merger anyway?  Maybe cut staffing by having the same people write for both sites?  :blink:

Oh well.  I only visit Gamespy's page to read Nodwick anyway.  Planetquake is still somewhat decent, and I certainly hope it doesn't get changed or worse, "improved".  Pappy-R, Jube, and madman have always been good to us too, so at least the people there haven't lost focus on the mod community.  I can't say the same for the corporate side.  Any time you annoy the public you drive them off.  I have to load the same link on Fileplanet THREE TIMES before the page doesn't screw up.  First time:  Not found.  Second time:  All the servers are missing.  Third time works.  This is consistant with EVERY DOWNLOAD ATTEMPT.  What kind of quality programming is that?

I don't use Gamespy's browser anymore.  I've not used it since I downloaded The All-Seeing Eye.  ASE gets me what I want without any BS and finds the servers EVERY TIME.  It's what Gamespy USED to be in the beginning.  Too bad they forgot about that part.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2003-12-07, 00:28 »

I dont have any problems with gamespy . or fileplanet .
(unless they released a new counter-strike patch on the moment I need something from fileplanet )

some files I know of can only be found on gamespy .

and gamespy arcade has also ben good to me , sometimes I even like the  ads .
specially those of gamespy themselfs . with the waitingline.
but why the hell are they promoting a car on gamespy arcade at the moment  Doom - Huh? . I still dont get it .
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2003-12-07, 08:40 »

Quote from: games keeper
and gamespy arcade has also ben good to me , sometimes I even like the  ads .
specially those of gamespy themselfs . with the waitingline.
I had such high hopes, but alas, they are dashed like fallen eggs upon the stones below, to be nevermore again.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-12-07, 20:38 »

im realy trying to aim my furnture to fall on my keyboard the right way , I really am  Slipgate - Sad  but sometimes I still mis  :mellow:
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #19 on: 2003-12-07, 21:06 »

That's OK, GK - it's part of what makes you so loveable and brings a smile to our hearts this Christmas season.  :huggle:
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: