2024-05-12, 18:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm willing to make a new map (+textures...)  (Read 11785 times)
o'dium

Spectre

« on: 2004-07-11, 11:08 »

I'm willing to make a new map and textures/shaders for gen, but to be honest, I don't *REALLY* want to make a *NEW* map. I would love ot make a re-make, maybe of a Quake 2 map? And by re-make, I'm thinking more or less a "Re-vision", a new take on a map that id would of tried maybe if they had the tech...

But WHAT map? I honestly can't put my finger on one, heh... I love Q2DM1 but I don't want to touch the popularity that map has (Plus you must have about 50 remakes of it anyways)...

Hmmm... Any ideas?

For some examples of some older texture work see here:

http://www.planetquake.com/blur/odium.net/artwork.htm

(Might need to refresh if the window looks funny, its PQ's stupid advert pages, lol. Textures are on the bottom, so ignore the skins, some of them are old and will be re-made)

So, any ideas on what I could try out...? Any requests maybe...?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-11, 13:29 »

Heya o'dium. A most welcome post!
As you're probably aware, pretty much all of Q2's maps have been or are in the process of being remade. The exceptions hereof are: Q2DM4 (the lost hallways), and Q2DM6 (the lava tomb). We currently have two Q2DM1's in the pack, and there are indeed hundreds of remakes on that one ;]. Although we'd like to get the set complete sooner or later, neither DM4 nor DM6 were ever really popular (I like the latter myself, though) and I probably wouldn't try and make the lost hallways with a gun to the temple. Match1 isn't remade either, but.. well.. that was rather shoddy..

Perhaps your best bet for something cool & nostalgic would be to find a map that many played on public servers, even though it was 3rd party material.

Looking forward to the result, whatever the subject will be :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-11, 14:34 »

Actually, I'd love to see a good remake/remix of Lava Tomb.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-11, 15:28 »

Fragtown.          fragtown.            fragtown.

good 3D type maps with open spaces, insides and outsides of biuldings and an urban theme.

there ws about 8 of these for Q1 and most were converted to Q2, and then to Q3.

There is a 're-make' of one of them at the painkeep site if you have not heard of them, or I could get you the Q1 versions to try out.

Gen needs one of these maps. Cheers!
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-11, 16:31 »

Fragtown was originally in Doom.

Maybe one of the Quake2 single player levels, some of those were good for DM.  Hell, when q2 first came out it didn't even have q2dm1-8.
I'd rather see Doom2 map16 than any of the fragtown maps.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-11, 17:13 »

originally in Doom?

anything that has lasted so long MUST be in Gen then
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-11, 17:16 »

There is a Q3 version of Downtown from Doom 2 out there, but it's a WAD conversion so it's not really viable.

One map I've been trying like mad to find a Q3 remake of is the famous UltraViolence map for Q1. There's a Painkeep Arena version, but the only one I've found for VQ3 is a WinBSPC port. And it's crap.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-11, 17:36 »

You mean the UltraViolence map that Tekhead posted about on the gen Beta Board?

Slipgate - Roll Eyes and yeah, I suppose that is more reason for some of the Fragtown maps to be in Gen, seeing as how they have been around so long and have managed to flow through the, cough, generations.

Downtown, you mean that q3 version of a Doom2 map that Castle did, using the old textures?  I never downloaded that, figured it would be kinda ugly in q3 and I was never really a fan of that map anyway, I liked deathmatching on the Suburbs Doom2 map 16.
There were a lot of cool doom/2 custom dm maps but most of them would just look like crap with todays standards of map making, I think they would still be fun tho.  Of course, if you get a mapper, Reboot for instance, who can look at an old map and add in some cool looking architecture/eye-candy, then you could have a fun old-school map that looks freaking awesome as well.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-11, 17:38 »

I'm of the opinion that all of the standard Id deathmatch maps should make an appearance for Generations, so remakes of Q2DM4 and Q2DM6 would be very welcome. Slipgate - Smile  Probably the only maps that don't need to be remade are Match1 and the 64 player maps, but even those would be nice to have just for the hell of it.

And that in itself brings up an idea: A re-vision of one of the 64-player Q2 DM maps for normal-sized games.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-11, 17:52 »

nah, a smaller version of a 64 player map would be kinda lame, well I suppose someone could pull it off.  I think a remake of one of the 64 player maps would be cool, someday, like if Generations ever got enough players.  I only played a Quake2 dm game 48 players once and that was just deathmatching on a single player map,  one of those factory type levels.  Playing with that many people is fun and I imagine it would be a lot more fun now that I am on DSL and not a slow, old modem like I was using back then.  I think just a tweaked single player Quake2 level could make a good/fun dm level.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-11, 17:57 »

Allright... time for me to bring this thread back on-topic.

Since you're offering q2ish remixes, I'd suggest something based off of fact2, power1 or command. Fact2 has a great theme of the Strogg processing plants that I haven't seen replicated anywhere, and if you could make something in that style, that'd be a first for the Q3 mapping community I think. Power1 was a popular Lithium map back in the day, and command just looks cool (but could use some creative remixing to break the symmetry in the level =).

That's my opinion!
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-11, 18:07 »

I've never played Fact2.  Link?
If you're going to make a map based on a Strogg processing plant, it would be ltra cool to have the marines going to their doom in the back ground.  Maybe Fact2 has this; as I've said, I never played it.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-11, 18:12 »

dna: you've never played through q2 sp?

hint: goto the console and type "map fact2"
« Last Edit: 2004-07-11, 18:12 by Tekhead » Logged
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #13 on: 2004-07-11, 18:19 »

yeah, or you can go into the menu... Multiplayer, start your own server, and then select Fact2 you can play it deathmatch or cooperative.  I played thru that map in SP, Co-Op and deatmatch.  It would be neat to see a level with a bunch of working Strogg machinery.  Would there need to be a new shooter made for bouncing/ejecting body parts?  Great to see what the Strogg call the nursery.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #14 on: 2004-07-11, 18:49 »

Hollowpoint: Yes on both counts.

Keeping with the Q2 theme though, how's about a remix of Boss2, perhaps?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #15 on: 2004-07-11, 19:06 »

I must be the only guy in the entire forum that has never played Q2.  Slipgate - Sad  Slipgate - Sad  Slipgate - Sad

Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #16 on: 2004-07-11, 19:16 »

most likely.  You missed out man.  If it makes you feel any better the Gen Arena Strogg weapons look pretty much exactly like the Quake2 guns except the single-barreled shotgun looks better and the machinegun looks a bit different.  And the weapons don't jiggle around like Jell-O as they did in quake2, that was kindof annoying.  But Co-Op was fun in quake2 also.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #17 on: 2004-07-11, 19:40 »

Q2 demo is very small...maybye i'll buy Q2 someday.
BTW thanks for saying the differences between VQ2 and Gen
« Last Edit: 2004-07-11, 19:41 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #18 on: 2004-07-12, 04:05 »

Quote from: Tekhead
dna: you've never played through q2 sp?

hint: goto the console and type "map fact2"
Oh, it's an SP map?  I misunderstood.  I never figured out all the file names fo the different SP maps, but it looks familiar now that I fire it up.
Thanks.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-07-12, 04:33 »

Yes, Fact2 (Processing Plant) was an excellent map for DM.  A good remake of Lava Tomb would be nice as well.

Odium:  If you do decide to work on either one, let me know if you need help with anything related to the func_rotating objects.  Regular Q3 doesn't handle movers correctly, and I've been fixing those in Gen so they work properly with projectiles and do damage when blocked as well.  Tomb had the rolling drum by the rail, and Fact2 had the "Emulsifying Flesh Press", which was an instagib double-roller squishing thingie.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: