2024-05-02, 11:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Those Cosmic Theories (Rewriting History in a BIG Way)  (Read 10199 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2005-09-30, 01:15 »

The Universe was a more fertile place soon after it was formed than has previously been suspected. A team of French and Italian astronomers made indeed the surprising discovery of a large and unknown population of distant galaxies observed when the Universe was only 10 to 30% its present age....

"These observations will demand a profound reassessment of our theories of the formation and evolution of galaxies in a changing Universe", says Gianpaolo Vettolani, the other co-leader of the VVDS project, working at INAF-IRA in Bologna (Italy).
http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-rel/pr-2...5/pr-24-05.html

It's nice to see how consistent some scientific theories are.  I mean, just when you think you finally know it all some new evidence comes along and you have to rewrite everything again.  Don't you just hate that?  Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-01, 08:40 »

I don't hate it. If it's a possibility I say investigate it, but if it's ripped apart by science's own laws (*ahem*cough*evolution*couch*hack*) then abandon it. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2005-10-01, 08:40 by Little Washu » Logged

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-01, 10:19 »

Theories are called such because it is not necessarily known whether or not they are, in fact, true. There is speculation and evidence that points towards such, but there is still doubt. As a result, theories by their very nature need to be constantly rewritten as new information is gathered, and things that were previously thought to be true or possible (or vice versa) are found to be otherwise.

Washu: That's why evolution is a theory, not a law, you nitwit. Slipgate - Tongue

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-01, 12:27 »

The only thing that is a certain 'law' is human stupidity. :p

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-02, 01:20 »

Well the whole evolution discussion ignores the second law of thermodynamics, but that's seriously  offtopic.  Besides, it wasn't my intent to turn this into yet-another-creation-vs-evolution debate.  My focus is on new discovery forcing people to change their views.  We can always discuss evolution and creationism elsewhere.

I just love the fact that the universe continues to offer surprises to people who tend to be very set in their ways.  Just imagine how dull things would be otherwise.  Think of all the fantastic things people have imagined throughout the millenia.  Then look at the vast reality of endless space, and consider how the depths of human fantasy are but a mere puddle in comparison to the vast ocean of possibilities that lie out there.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-02, 01:20 by Phoenix » Logged

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2005-10-02, 02:15 »

Oh, that all goes without saying, Pho. Slipgate - Wink

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-02, 08:18 »

I was giving the perfect example of a failed theory. *ahem* Enough of that.
I am glad that there is more to know, and a more clear understanding of the universe, a theory nontheless, but something to be considered.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-02, 22:08 »

Quote from: Little Washu
I was giving the perfect example of a failed theory. *ahem* Enough of that.
Problem is, there are a lot of people who still believe it to be fact, just the same as many think Christianity is myth when there are a lot of people who still believe in God.  This sort of thing opens the door for debate which will completely derail the topic (which is a problem we've had in the past).  I have nothing against debate, but I don't like things going way off track.  Like I said, if someone wants to discuss the validity or lack thereof regarding evolution, by all means do so - but in a thread of its own.  Slipgate - Wink

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-02, 22:56 »

The Theory of Evolution was hijacked by a number of atheists that intended to claim evolution was random, and as such, God does not exist.

Fact of the matter is, they can't prove anything truely random exists.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2005-10-03, 03:34 »

The big problem is that the word 'theory' is commonly misunderstood. Although no scientific theory constitutes a perfect fact, the word does not have the same meaning here as it does in colloquial conversation. To mix up the two is one of the tricksy ways in which the value of (for instance) evolution is diminished in the eyes of many. Another one is the foolish idea of linking it to 'randomness' as Angst describes - no part of the theory of evolution says anything about there being a random factor, but indeed, some foolhardy or fanatic atheists inject that into the debate. And so, through effects of typical propaganda  (whether knowingly and intentional or not), an interesting and valuable theory is abused for foolish religious and political debates.

It would save us all time and energy if people were simply to say: "I don't like [religious stance of any kind here] people!". ;]

[sorry for keeping the thread slightly derailed]

It is slightly related though, because you will note that anyone who has a (hidden) agenda, will react in some special way to what's hinted at in the first post of this thread. Anyone who observes the world without trying to slot everything into their stipulated, restricted view of the world, will find this highly interesting and promising for future studies.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #10 on: 2005-10-03, 04:25 »

The purpose of evolutionary theory that is stated, (at least what I've been thought), and this is a rough statement, is to prove that there doesn?t need to be a super natural force to "bling"  the universe from absolutely nothing, into existence, and how things like microbes just happen to get the incentive (without no reason, and without need to) to improve themselves, by themselves. Hell I wish I can pop out a third arm, which would solve a lot of my problems. Slipgate - Smile I think the idea is ludicrous because it violates numerous scientific laws and principles that dictate how science experiments and inquiries must be conducted on a regular basis. Sure, you can experiment on the idea, don't throw it away if it violates one little law, but really, look it the law of causality, then look at evolution, it just does not equate.

You can give all the explanations you want, but they will never solve science's biggest question: What happened at the instant of the universe's birth? You can trace it down as many nano-seconds and millionths of a nano-second as you want, but that still does not answer the question. I'm not saying, let's jump right into creationism, I'm saying consider it, after all it has more evidence in its ball park then evolution has in theirs. And evolution is hundreds of years older then creationism. I always study all possibilities as you do Tab, but making evolution the standard ground and foundation for all things living is a bad act of arrogance by the scientific community. You know what they say, "Me house built on the sandy ground, it will fall you see." Slipgate - Wink

"Anyone who observes the world without trying to slot everything into their stipulated, restricted view of the world........"

And I beleive evolution enthusists are exactly this way.

Anyway (whew) I accept this new theory as a good gain of knowledge, we'll just have to see what else they come up with. It may be that science was wrong about some things.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2005-10-03, 11:52 »

Washu: Aside from launching a direct attack against a specific theory, which is exactly what this thread shouldn't be about, you're also doing it in that propagandist way that I described above. Throwing about words, mixing up the big-bang (and other start-of-the-universe) theory with evolutionary priniciples, re-enstating randomness as the essential part of it, calling it arrogance while being arrogant about it, etc, etc. If that is really the view you have of this theory (and if you can see it as a theory by itself, and not as some sort of personal attack), then I suggest you re-do those studies - maybe the information has aged? Pho brought up a way more interesting argument a few posts ago, but even that has been addressed many decades ago, (law of thermodynamics) - I won't go over it here, since that is exactly what is not the point of this thread, but it is a perfect example of the way in which some arguments stick even though they have not been, and aren't today, decisive.

if I allow myself to read "evolution enthusists" as "dogmatic atheists", I fully agree, there's no difference between a fanatic believer and a fanatic disbeliever, other than in the content of their claims - again, this has little to do with the theory itself.

My point was simply this: theories are the trenches in the battle of these debates, getting bombshelled into shallow graves, ruptured by the brute force of sophistry, ignorance and misunderstanding - by both sides in any such clash. And since that underlying matter will never be resolved, or at least not peacefully, my suggestion is that we keep it away from the things we do to further our understanding about 'secular' or 'non-secular' matters, by falling and getting up. I know you don't agree there either, but at least that has little to do with kinds of theory.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-03, 16:47 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2005-10-03, 16:21 »

Oh what the hell, this thread is so far gone now it makes no difference.

Quote from: Tabun
you will note that anyone who has a (hidden) agenda, will react in some special way to what's hinted at in the first post of this thread.

Which only serves to further my own observations.  What one sees depends on what one is already looking for.  So often it is with life.  Science, religion...  if you go into either with explicit expectations, most often you will find what it is that you seek.  Why is it that some people read the Bible and find a message of love, peace, and forgiveness, and others find a message of damnation, judgement, and persecution?  Why is it one person looks at nature and sees the hand of God, and someone else sees random chance?  Why do some see a beautiful forest, and others see a threatening wilderness?  Are they not looking at the same nature?  Are both readers not reading the same book?  The difference lies not in the nature, nor in the text, but in the people themselves.

Regarding the dispute between creationism and evolution, I've seen absurdity on both sides.  I've seen people trying to prove that dinosaurs lived along side man prior to the flood.  I've seen people use very malformed footprints as "proof" that humans walked beside dinosaurs in order to try to "prove" the earth is no more than 6,000 years old.  Nevermind that when you look closely at the footprints they appear to be nothing more than badly formed impressions from soft mudsand, nevermind all the geologic and astronimical evidence that the universe is old (If a star is 16 billion light years away, how long has the light been traveling, exactly?).  I've also seen evolutionists completely ignore the utter complexity of life, going out of their way to avoid even admitting the possibility that life is non-random.  You want to talk about untestable theories...  I have no problem with the notion that life changes and adapts to its surroundings.  This is a fact.  Genetics proves that life is constantly changing, which would be necessary since the environment is also constantly changing.  A dynamic environment requires dynamic creatures to exist within it.  Where the problem lies is that the exact origin of life is unprovable.  The theory of evolution assumes it to be a random event.  That is just that - an unproved assumption.  If anyone has a point they want to attack, there you go.  It's never been replicated in a laboratory, but then again, gravity has not (officially) been created artificially either, yet it exists around us.  Neither has God been proven scientifically, yet if neither God nor the origin of life, or the universe, is provable, then are not both evolution's and creationism's explanations for the origin of life of equal validity in the eyes of a skeptic?

Evolution also assumes that man evolved from apes owing to physiological similarities.  It cannot be explicitly proven that humans are actually apes.  It can be inferred, but it cannot be proven concretely.  What amazes me is that the most educated men will classify humans as having evolved from animals yet at the same time will profess that only man is capable of cognitive thought, reason, and self-awareness; that is, sentience.  You want to talk about arrogance?  There it is.  To me either man is an animal, making all animals capable to some degree of the same things man is, or man is a fluke, something set apart from animals.  If the former is true, then man is guilty of horrible ethical crimes against nature owing to his treatment of life on this earth.  If the latter is true, then it begs the question:  What made man, and why, since he obviously is not an animal, but something completely different?  And if man was made by God, and is then a steward of the Earth, then he has still been a very poor caretaker.  I see the same arrogance professed from many pulpits about man having been created "in God's image", therefore being higher than other forms of life.  In the same sermon they will preach about man's fall from grace.  Well, excepting myself of course, what other animals ever fell from grace with God, according to scripture?  Again, pride and arrogance, putting man at the center of the universe.  To me this equation is consistent on both sides of the aisle.

What is lost in all of this is the actual search for truth.  Why can't the Earth be billions of years old?  Does not the bible say that "A day to the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as a day?"  On the same token, who says God could not have created life initially, and maybe added some things along the way here and there, and yet still allowed it to change and evolve to adapt to its surroundings?  Are we, who are mere creatures, audacious enough to try to dictate to God how He runs His own universe, saying it must be this way or that?  And as a scientist, who has the evidence justifying such a dogmatic premise that demands life having to originate from random chance?  Let's compare notes between geologic history and the Bible, shall we?

In Genesis, 1:20, on the 5th day of creation it says the following:

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl [that] may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.  And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.  And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.  And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

The literal hebrew for "whales" here means "big fish" or "sea monster", not the mammalian variety, for clarification, but look at this closely.  Does science not say that animal life on land began in the sea?  Do we not see land creatures, birds, great sea monsters (plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs anyone?) being brought forth from the sea?  Is this not similar?  If this is a picture of the entire 5th day, how do we know it was instantaneous, hmm?  Also in 2 Baruch in the Pseudepigrapha, it speaks of Leviathan and Behemoth (mentioned in Job chapter 40, which describes a creature very similar to a sauropod dinosaur) being made on the 5th day.  Well, there's your missing dinosaurs for all the skeptics who would ask, and on the 6th day, God again creates "living creatures after their kind".  Why do this if the waters had brought forth life already?  Could this difference between the 5th and 6th days be the dividing line between the "age of reptiles" and the "age of mammals" denoted by science, since man also is made on the 6th day?  How do we know a day to the Lord is not indeterminate?  Who's to define it, save for God Himself?  How do we know that the record of Creation in Genesis is not actually a reflection on what science has discovered?  And if it is, what a marvel that should be, for then science would have come damned close to having proven God!  But then... perhaps that's what everyone is afraid of, on both sides, since everyone is far too comfortable nibbling over details and feeling self-important instead of looking for deeper truths.  Look into the mirror and I will show you what you fear most, for it lies not without, but within.

See, there are so many things that could be congruent between science and religion, if one opens their eyes to possibilities.  That was the entire point of my post was to open that door.  Instead what do people find?  They find attacks on their way of thinking, or a reason to attack someone else's.  Well, let me share a little bit of Phoenix's wisdom with you, what little I will claim to actually have.  Very few minds are ever changed by attacking someone's beliefs.  Putting someone on the defensive will never, ever get them to agree with you.  The mind has to be open first before it can change, and even then you have no right to decide for someone.  They have to make up their own mind.  It is better to just share knowledge openly and let someone draw what conclusions they may.  Let people see what they see.  Share what you know, and learn from what others have to share as well.  If they don't see things the same way as you, that's their business.  

To the scientist, I would say, open your eyes.  Stop ignoring what you don't want to see for fear it may lead you where you do not wish to go.  If God lies at the end of that path, then you must follow it regardless of your feelings.  True science is unbiased discovery through dispassionate observation.  One can certainly be passionate about the results, but ignoring some facts and highlighting others is doing a great disservice to all humanity.

To the devout Christian, I would say, open your eyes as well.  Stop ignoring what science has to offer.  Stop seeing what you want to see in the Bible, and read what it really says.  Don't limit your thought to what is preached by men.  Look to the Word of God, as it is written, not how someone else has interpreted it for you.  If you truly believe there is a Father in Heaven, and a Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts and actions, then allow that Spirit to guide you as you read.  Then you will see with different eyes, and perhaps understand much more than you ever thought you could.

The only real enemy is ignorance, and those who seek to suppress free thinking.  I think it's obvious that those kind of people exist on both sides of the broader discussion.  They're only dangerous when they're in control, and I would warn that they are even more dangerous to you when you find you are in agreement with their way of thinking, or when you at least find their school of thought preferable to the one you are opposed to, for then you are less likely to question them, and put them to task.  If one is not free to explore all possibilities, then it is a tyranny, whether they think like you or not.[/color]

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2005-10-03, 16:40 »

From reading that, I get the idea that we're both digging into the same mountain, but from different sides (you use a lot more words in the process, though Slipgate - Wink) - that's one of the approaches that (as I've said before) is very interesting too. The best ideas in history have been combinations of existing ideas, such as Kant's interpretation of rationalism and empiricism for instance, leading to one of the most important categorial analyses yet.

... yet at the same time will profess that only man is capable of cognitive thought, reason, and self-awareness; that is, sentience. You want to talk about arrogance? There it is. ...

This is one of those viewpoints that has, for some reason, stuck in the minds of the many. Cartesian dualism, absolutist beliefs about the self and the concious mind all lead up to such arrogant stances. If you're interested in a relatively new and very interesting approach to this, read Dennett's Conciousness Explained - it's a great book and the author has no interest in upholding close-mindedness or dogmatic views. The book opens up a way to avoid this fallacious arrogance (even keeping the principle of mediocrity optional) and explores possibilities openly (and in my experience, honestly).

If one is not free to explore all possibilities, then it is a tyranny, whether they think like you or not.

Exactly. This becomes all the more dangerous if one thinks one is freely exploring possibilities, unknowingly being guided by some force or other.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-03, 16:46 by Tabun » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2005-10-03, 21:20 »

Heh, reminds me of a bit my father was fond of.

*picks up random object*
"You want to see the Word of God?"
*drops object*
"There you go."
« Last Edit: 2005-10-03, 21:21 by Angst » Logged

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #15 on: 2005-10-04, 06:24 »

read Dennett's Conciousness Explained - it's a great book and the author has no interest in upholding close-mindedness or dogmatic views. The book opens up a way to avoid this fallacious arrogance (even keeping the principle of mediocrity optional) and
 explores possibilities openly (and in my experience, honestly)
Another really good book that is as desribed above is called Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It touches both ideas on Creationism and Evolution, great study material BTW.

re-enstating randomness as the essential part of it,

Okay, I don't want to come off as an arrogant asshole and all, and I was going to post this in my previous post but I didn't want to sound like a smart ass so please bear with me...
Isn't the opposite of "radomness" intent? Slipgate - Wink That's all.
calling it arrogance while being arrogant about it, etc, etc.
I don't understand... but ouch...

I have no problem with the notion that life changes and adapts to its surroundings. This is a fact. Genetics proves that life is constantly changing, which would be necessary since the environment is also constantly changing

That there is called microevolution, which I accept as fact. The debate arrives when talking about macroevolution. The develpment of unieque species, organs, tissues, functions of the body and brain ect. The question is, How then (in contrast to the current scientific laws) are these things developed? What caused them to suddenly change? How can they better themselves without any outside source? ect.

And I do not ignore science, science was one of my favorite classes along with theory of knowledge. What I wanted to express (which I admit I was a bit too extreme in the past) is that science is not the only bearer of facts in the world, nor is religion.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-04, 06:48 by Little Washu » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2005-10-04, 10:34 »

Whatever the opposite of 'randomness' is, is irrelevant. "If you are not with us, you are against us" is not only a fallacious slogan in politics, but outside of it aswell! :]
Evolution can be easily framed within a determinate world and just as well in a fully free ('quantum') environment. It can be part of a designer's plan, whether that be an alien race or a god, or perhaps it might fit into some wholly new concept of the world that we simply haven't thought of.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

I have read it, and it's quite a page-turner. Amusing as they are, I've had my fill of Brown's writing gadgets - I know his books are popular and also that they're not high class literature - but that's all besides the point. What's important is that the good man writes thriller novels, not academic level disciplinary research literature. I assume you've read his big hit the Davinci code - and hopefully the later released fiction and fact lists regarding it - which has some very nice viewpoints, that will certainly help to dislodge the misogynist thoughts in some people, which I think is great. However, it is no history book and no trustworthy theological study, as the author hastens to point out (after he's made a fortune on it, that is). I therefore would argue that it is not 'as described above' :]

What caused them to suddenly change? How can they better themselves without any outside source?

For these and similar questions, quite adequate theories are available, but you have to make an effort to shake off the intuitive link to every day life: "better themselves" is a decidedly human effort, which no person can undertake without a society to chalk up its progress in (arguably, this is an interesting philosophical problem that is logically still in debate) - that is the folk-meaning of the term. A simple word such as "development" does not carry any such connotations at all - in fact, it doesn't say anything about the value of change, which is essential in getting the whole picture. Also, the words "outside source" are rather vague: outside of what? (I know what you mean, don't respond to this, I'm merely indicating some problems with the way in which the question is posed) - these words can throw up misconceptions of how "'spontaneous' mutations" have their place in the proposed model.
Ask the right question or the same question in the right way, and you will have avoided many pitfalls of presupposition, for yourself and your audience. Take for instance the fallacy of the complex question: "When did you stop beating your wife?". This one is easy to spot, but when you are engrossed in a discussion about something as hard to understand as a cosmic theory (or the theory of evolution), this kind of thing can slip through unnoticed by both parties more often than not.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-04, 10:37 by Tabun » Logged

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2005-10-06, 09:25 »

I normally don't engage myself in conversations of this matter, but I feel compelled to in this instance.

Existence is something that I doubt I'll ever fully comprehend.  I am often frustrated by that fact, but a part of me derives great pleasure in being unable to solve the mystery.  It means the "game" can last a little bit longer.  New clues can be found and added, old ones can be thrown out or possibly reinforced only to later change again.  Some find that a certain play-style may produce more consistent results and others may feel that that play-style is not the best approach (whether it be for that individual person, the world, a secular group of people or anything else one might fancy depending on the individual's passion.)

I once jokingly said, "I re-base my religion whenever a new Final Fantasy game comes out."  While that's an exaggeration, it doesn't mean that there isn't some truth to it.  Final Fantasy 7 and The Spirits Within touched upon the possibly of the planet itself having a soul with which we all return to upon dying.  Chrono Cross presented the idea of forced evolution.  A large alien being collided with the Earth causing apes to rapidly evolve and thus fall out of harmony with nature.  Xenogears took a vastly different approach.  Human beings were in effect the creator of their own creator.  A rediculously advanced society created a sentient machine that could create life.  Eventually, that machine turned on that society and crashed onto a young planet in which it gave birth to Adam and Eve.  Are these ideas rediculous?  Quite possibly, but they are clues none-the-less, and I enjoy mulling them over thoroughly.

I know I sound as if I am arguing in favor of being open-minded, but truly, all I am doing is presenting part of my understanding of existence.  Besides, if I were to encourage open-minded-ness, I'd be closed-minded about closed-minded-ness, and that is yet another clue I have in my arsenal. Slipgate - Wink

Oh, and to be more on topic, space is nifty.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-06, 09:27 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2005-10-06, 09:39 »

Isn't the opposite of "radomness" intent? Slipgate - Wink.gif That's all.
The opposite of "random" is "order"
ie: chaos/law

Randomnity is practically impossible to prove. Visibly, a 'random' set of numbers and those derived from a pseudo-random equation would be identically chaotic. If you know the equation, and you know the seed, any 'random' number generator is entirely predictable. The more complex the seed and/or equation, the more random-seeming it becomes.

In the case of fractals, it forms recognizeable patterns spiralling, arcing, etc. off into infinity.

/offtopic
« Last Edit: 2005-10-06, 09:39 by Angst » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2005-10-06, 16:23 »

Which is the problem with seemingly random events.  There is no way to know if they are actually random, or if they are connected in some way not obvious to our limited grasp of the universe.  What may appear random could indeed be a synchronized dance of interconnected happenings, spiraling in perfect harmony with a tune so subtle as to escape our crude and unrefined intellects.  One may see the wind as fickle, blowing this way, then that.  To a bird, the wind follows a pattern, where heat rises and cold falls, where pressure changes and air moves from place to place.  Yet unless you depend on the wind and the air to live, how would you know?  Does someone on the ground regard the subtleties of the wind?  Even a sailor only cares in which direction it is blowing, though he rely upon it to get where he's going.

In this the universe itself presents a much more daunting task of understanding than the mere wind.  Humans have only been peering out into space with radio telescopes for less than 100 years.  From that limited experience, man - through science - has already determined how old he thinks the universe is, how he thinks the universe came into being, and what it looked like billions of years ago.  Considering the estimated age of the universe at somewhere around 17 billion years, that's an awfully big leap having been able to see it with such advanced instruments for less than 0.000000005% of it's total duration.  This is especially true when nobody knows exactly how the universe is actually arranged today.  The light from stars millions of light years away is millions of years old.  They have since moved far from the positions we see them at in the night sky.  There's no real point of reference.  You don't know how things are right now, you can see partly how they were the further out you look, but not everywhere and not all at once.  It's like looking with tunnel vision through time.  It can be quite deceptive.  Our perspective is entirely earth-centric (and thus in the case of man, human-centric).  In the old days, man thought the earth was the center of the universe.  Practically speaking it is the center of the observable universe, since there is no other point of reference available, and since the further away you look the less accurate your view of the current arrangement of the universe becomes.  A rather ironic thing, don't you think?

Some would like to believe everything is a result of random chance.  Some would like to believe everything has a cause, and an order.  I have seen far too many convenient "coincidences" in my time to believe in a truly random universe.  I have seen far too many unexplained things that fall outside of the realm of what men consider to be "normal".  The mundane explanations of the current science culture, on the whole, fail to describe the fantastic, or explain the remarkable.  To me it is a limited view, where one is required to wear blinders, ignoring the most wondrous things simply because they defy the limitations of human logic or even worse - are far too frightening to contemplate, and are thus ignored from fear.  This is why I could never accept the rigid and inflexible dogma put forth from the scientific community any more than I could accept the rigid dogma of any hardline church.  I really don't find them much different.  What good is discovery if it cannot be appreciated, and if the most important or most fantastic discoveries are never brought to light because dull and overly serious minded people are afraid of having their apple carts upset?

Consider this for a moment.  If the universe has a spiritual element, and there is indeed a God, or some other higher beings, then science and religion are both after the same thing, but from two different directions.  Science therefore cannot categorically dismiss the spiritual.  Since the universe is also physical, those with a spiritual mind cannot dismiss the logical study of it's concrete nature.  I think where the greater problem has arisen is not from some gross incompatibility between the concrete and spirit, or between the study of either, but rather it is between men of similar inclination, with similar aims, and similar characters all trying to exercise the same influence and petty schemes from two differing directions.  Neither can ever hope to control the other outright, save through the forceful elimination of the other, and thus they become diametrically opposed to each other while in essence they are the same.  One claims moral authority of God, the other claims authority of reason.  Neither have enough sense to question themselves and their own motives nor see themselves as they really are.  Now don't think I am condemning having convictions, for I am not.  I am merely pointing out that far too often people become blinded when they fail to question them.

This is why, in my observations, the secularism of man behaves the same as any religion, and to me is just another religion that is in denial of itself.  The similarities are too pronounced for me to enumerate, but the fanatics of either side behave with equal dispicability.  True freedom of thought does not seek to exclude possibilities, it seeks to include as many as it can.  When a way of thinking frightens people to the point they feel they must exclude it from society, then that society is no longer free.  What bothers me is that I'm seeing a great deal of 15th century thinking among a great many learned people, only where God was, man now sits, and where thumb screws, and kneebreakers, and racks were, I see lawyers, and lawsuits, and bureaucrats.  Instead of uneducated peasants I see apathetic television addicts.  Instead of bishops withholding the bible from their subjects, I see universities and schools withholding knowledge of all kinds from their students.  One kind of indoctrination has been replaced with another, one school of thought with another, but the formula for control is no different.  How I wish people could remember the past, and see that so little has really changed in the last few hundred years.  This is why I rejoice whenever I see the "established thought" turned in its ear by new discovery.  Man needs to be humbled from time to time.

You've heard it said that the devil's greatest achievement is in convincing the world he does not exist.  Well if there be a devil (which I do firmly believe, from my own experiences), consider his second greatest achievement.  That would be in goading man to enslave himself to one form of thought at the exclusion of all others, while thinking he has escaped from less "refined" and "archaic" manners of thinking.  What more dangerous form of slavery is there than one where you think you are free, when you are not, and what worse form of slavery than one you have unwittingly and unknowingly imposed upon yourself?  I can think of nothing more horrible, save this last - that one truly and deeply knows this, yet instead of accepting and confronting this awful truth chooses self-delusion, and embraces the lie.  It does not require a pyre of books to reach this point either.  That is merely a sign of the disease becoming terminal.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-06, 16:39 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: