2024-05-10, 07:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first multiplayer influence  (Read 3671 times)
Tekhead

Elite

« on: 2004-09-04, 19:04 »

http://dl.downloadhosting.com/download/tek...head/GIBS10.DEM
(to run, put the file in your id1 folder, run quake and type playdemo gibs10)

I am extremely fortunate, as I have found a piece of my ancient gaming history! This is a Quake 1 demo that was on a CD I bought way back in the day before I knew what mouse look was. It is THE original reason I wanted to try playing MP as soon as possible. I can still watch it now and it makes my gaming nerve tingle.

What was your first inspiration/motivation to play MP?
« Last Edit: 2004-09-04, 19:08 by Tekhead » Logged
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-09-04, 19:43 »

Goldeneye. somthing about playing a game while singing james bond themes. I recall playing the man with the golden gun mode and singing "the man with the golden guuuunnn will get it done! he'll shoot anyone! with his goooolllden guuuunnn"
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-09-04, 20:32 »

When I got my first comp, the bloke who biult it for me had put Quake 1 on it. At this time I was at Uni and had never played ANY games, of really even seen any, except my son playing a jrassic park thing with a FPS section inside a biulding.

I started the game and was so gob-smacked I didn't do anything else that day except play the first level, using arrow keys etc. until I got killed and had to start again. I didn't know that a game could me so involving.

after a couple of months I finished it, and went out and got the doom compulation, and we (sons and I) played that. Then mission packs, then malice, then  Q-zone(remember that?) then Q2. then got a slow internet connection, and played the odd game on line.

Really for me, on-line gaming started this year, in Jan when I got Broadband, and downloaded Gen and got killed a lot by Tabun.  Thumbs up!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-09-04, 22:47 »

I guess curiosity more than anything else.  I remember hearing about "deathmatch" in Doom, and thought it was an interesting idea.  By the time Quake 2 rolled around and I had network access, I got to try it out.  400 ping seemed so good back then.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-09-05, 00:03 »

Well i dunno if LAN counts as "MP" but we did play alot of doom deathmatch at my old school and i loved it! and then quake came and that was the first game i really played online, oh the good ol days! Slipgate - Smile
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-09-05, 02:22 »

Slipgate - Off Topic

shambler:  Malice rocked!  The single-player and the multi-player of that total conversion was a blast. Slipgate - Wink

Slipgate - Off Topic

For me, multi-player always has been a fun way to experience a game.  I generally enjoy single-player experiences more but that does not mean that I play alone.  Growing up, my friends and I often competed against one another to see who could beat a game first or unlock such-and-such level or bonus.  We often would switch off if one of us failed to complete a level or some objective.  We would also switch off just to see if we could match each other's skill and surpass one another.  Online gaming has always interested me, but to be truthfully honest, I prefer being in the company of friends in an offline multi-player environment and even more preferably, on a single entertainment device rather than multiple devices networked together.  So to sum it up, my first multi-player influence was also my first video game experience.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2004-09-05, 09:50 »

Quote from: Kain-Xavier
Slipgate - Off Topic

shambler:  Malice rocked!  The single-player and the multi-player of that total conversion was a blast. Slipgate - Wink

Slipgate - Off Topic
Malice was great. my  older son and I played it a lot with a cross-over cable, on androm 9 by slayer. that was a great Quake level. I put together a dalek bot, and always wanted to play it with the malice weapons, but could never get it to work.  

maybe you and I could co-op at Malice or Q1 sometime.....
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-09-08, 20:05 »

wel , I first played hexen against a friend of mine coop here on a minilan over DOS.
how did I come there , well I was curious and found this launch called dwango I think ? dunno exactly and I saw these settings , I asked my dad what ipx was .

he explained it to me and I was curious .

then for my 11th birthday me and my cousins where al at my place nothing really to do so we played hexen again , but 4 people lan actually it was superfun .

my first real internet match was in sin patched to 1.11 making you have an internal server browser .

when I hitted the server and it loaded , It was like OMFG , im playing online .
then sombody joined in , he humiliated me by strafe circling around me with his pistol while I was shooting rockets straight at him  ( not to the feet for splashdamage )  making me miss again and again .

yep , those where the days , playing with 300+ ping and 600+ ping while still dominating Slipgate - Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: