2024-05-03, 23:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quakeworld is WRONG (You've been lied to)  (Read 12661 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2005-04-01, 00:00 »

If QW players have been able to live with it ever since it was released it can't be all that big a problem, I'd say.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #21 on: 2005-04-01, 01:40 »

It's a lot easier to live with something when you don't know it's there.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2005-04-01, 01:53 »

Like the time when you walked around with a cucumber in your ear for weeks, because you didn't know it was there? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #23 on: 2005-04-01, 02:14 »

Yeah, like that.

At least, I would say that if that were true. Slipgate - Tongue

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2005-04-01, 02:36 »

How many security flaws are in Windows that we're all "living with" because we don't know they're there?

You see, it has been a problem, particularly for me because I've had several very vocal Quake World players nagging me to implement the "tighter Quake World SSG spread pattern".  Well after playing Quake World online, being the complete noob that I am in regards to Quake World, I took them at their word, and wondered why my SSG blasts did zero damage to people at longer ranges even though the pattern was dead on them.  That kind of deception in game behavior may be a non-issue for die-hard, old-school Quake World players, but some of the people who wanted me to implement this pattern are die-hard, old-school Quake World players, and even they did not know this was a bug.  I could have wasted a lot of coding time trying to replicate a behavior that's the result of someone's bandwidth-saving hack.

I just nosed around the Quake source.  The problem is that Quake's multicast function only allows two pieces of information to be included:  a vector (origin point) and a MULTICAST_PVS value, which determines what clients should receive the event.  This is similar to Quake 3 Arena's temporary entity function, however Quake 3's temporary entity sends an actual entity that can have any entityState variables set that a normal entity can.  In order to do this, the multicast function would need to be able to send an extra integer and a direction vector in order to properly pattern the gun.  I don't know off the top of my head if you could cram that much into a Quake multicast message or not, it would require more research (including test compiling) than I'm interested in doing.
« Last Edit: 2005-04-01, 02:37 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #25 on: 2005-04-01, 02:43 »

Quote from: Phoenix
How many security flaws are in Windows that we're all "living with" because we don't know they're there?

Thats too funny!  Slipgate - Smile~
Point proven!  Thumbs up!
« Last Edit: 2005-04-01, 02:44 by Little Washu » Logged

guestqw

« Reply #26 on: 2005-04-02, 12:08 »

Authorative word

Quote from: "Tonik"
Quote from: "Phoenix"

How hard can it be to create a simple function in Quake World for a seeded random to run on both client and server

Spike, Fuh or just about any QW coder out there could do it in 5 minutes. We're not retards, believe me.

The problem is that we are stuck with the 2.30 protocol.
The reason we're stuck with the 2.30 protocol is because we rely on Qizmo so much.
We rely on Qizmo so much because currently there's no other software that would offer easy QW traffic rerouting, traffic compression and QTV functionality.

We could create a free replacement for Qizmo, but that's a lot of hard work for which no one is going to pay, and some of us do have a life.

Which is pretty much as I suspected, protocol limitations currently soz :)

oldman
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2005-04-02, 19:47 »

Or, the alternative would be to go ahead and use the extra bandwidth to send the additional pellet impacts.  We're not on 14.4 dialup anymore, but then again, I have no idea how efficient or inefficient Quake's netcode is.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #28 on: 2005-04-08, 00:25 »

I play QW quite often, and have NEVER noticed this before. I'm gonna be looking for it now, just to see.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #29 on: 2005-04-20, 20:00 »

Reading this thread hurt me. I've played QWTF for about 3 years.. retiring in 2000. I was always a HWGuy.. the supposed 'noob' class.

Being a HWGuy, I couldn't walk around while shooting my main weapon (TFC).. or wind up the barrels and walk around for easy insta-shooting (q3f). Shoot the assault cannon in QWTF and you're planted to the ground.. can't move or do anything else but aim. I'd insert a rant about those who called HWGuys noobs right here, but that's off topic.

I used the SSG and grenades for all dog fights.. until I felt it was time to whip out the cannon and finish the job.. or if the terrain was highly in my favor, then ok.

To sum everything up.. the weapon I've probably used the most in my QWTF carrer has been lying to me the entire time.. and I NEVER once noticed it. In all seriousness.. I did notice the shots not hit at extreme ranges.. but I felt that was added to help out with the rule of shotguns... bad at long range, better at close. So I thought there was some sort of 'maximum range' thing going on. (Which led to me using the single barrel against extreme range targets.. because I noticed that the problem was somewhat diminished when using this).

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: