2024-05-13, 10:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Strogger all jacked up!  (Read 14736 times)
UltraMagnus

« on: 2004-05-01, 23:43 »

The Quake2 guy's rocket jumps are all jacked up and wrong! There were some sick trick jumps in q2dm1 that are completely impossible now. Also, you can't even make it from one side of q3dm17 to the other off a q2 rocket jump! The distance jumps q2ers can pull are fantastic, and it is at least as important to recreate as quake1 guy's crazy aerial control. The rocket is too slow and its splash radius is too small, but I wouldn't care about that if at least the rocket jumps worked right. Keep this in mind for a future version! Also, think about importing some cool grapples (red laser for q2 guy, voreballs for q1 guy and lightning for q3 guy) for teamplay games; get some Generations Threewave going (with KEYS instead of FLAGS!)

Also, don't even get me STARTED on the nail guns. Ranger has been reverted to the one-trick rocket pony he, well, always was in q1 i guess. The nails could at least be a little faster.

GGs all around

-UltraMagnus
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-02, 00:59 »

The Quake2 guy's rocket jumps are all jacked up and wrong! There were some sick trick jumps in q2dm1 that are completely impossible now.
What 'sick trick jumps', exactly?

Also take into account that the map isn't a mechanical conversion, it's a remake. This means that it's not 100% exactly the same.

Also, you can't even make it from one side of q3dm17 to the other off a q2 rocket jump!
So? This map wasn't in Q2. There's no way to compare the two.

The rocket is too slow and its splash radius is too small, but I wouldn't care about that if at least the rocket jumps worked right. Keep this in mind for a future version!
The problem isn't with the rockets, it's with the scale of levels, the speeds of the other classes, and the view height of the player.

Strogg's rocket launcher is exactly the same speed it was in Q2, does exactly the same amount of damage, and has exactly the same splash radius.

Also, think about importing some cool grapples (red laser for q2 guy, voreballs for q1 guy and lightning for q3 guy) for teamplay games; get some Generations Threewave going (with KEYS instead of FLAGS!)
If you would read this thread (or is it  this one?), you would know that class-based grapples are definately being considered, and while the models (voreball, etc) wont make it in, we are adjusting grapple SPEEDS based on class for the next release.

And what would be the point of keys instead of flags? It's capture the flag, not capture the key.

Also, don't even get me STARTED on the nail guns. Ranger has been reverted to the one-trick rocket pony he, well, always was in q1 i guess. The nails could at least be a little faster.
Once again, the nails are the same speed as they were in Q1. There's been ample discussion on the topic, however, and the nails are getting a silght boost in speed for 0.99e.

Also, rocketjumping is a very small part of gameplay, one that I have very little problem with. I have absolutely no issues with the Strogg class's rocketjumps. Their RL is very weak in comparison to the other classes (in speed, damage, and knockback), and as such gives you quite a bit less air than, say, the Slipgate RL. The Earth mortar launcher also has weak splash damage and knockback, and gives a poor RJump.

I would also suggest that you read a few things so that you would know what we're doing and what we've already done.

The 0.99d FAQ
What's coming up for 99e
The Feedback Thread

We appreciate the feedback, however poorly written and executed it is. If the only thing we have to worry about is a bad RJump for one of the five classes, then we must be doing something right.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-02, 01:13 »

Actually I hacked the Q2 rocket jump physics to give the Q2 guy a little EXTRA height over the default Q2 rocket knockback.  You can actually RJ a little higher in Generations than you can in Q2.  The only problem with RJ'ing as a Strogger is the handedness, something I'm planning a workaround for so that RJ's are centered while the rocket itself remains right-handed in its flight path.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-02, 01:17 »

Although nearly everyone that played seriously used hand 2, and would definately hate the lopsided RJ.. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
UltraMagnus

« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-02, 01:28 »

Ahem.

I understand thoroughly that the q2dm1 is a remake. However, it is not so completely different from the original that none of the jumps should work. Quake 2 used to operate on a system where you could combine your jumps, and actually rocket jump off of a grenade to perform a "rocket-grenade jump". None of this stuff is (properly) retained in the mod. As far as the dm17 jump, that is a jump that the regular q3a player can accomplish with just the right amount of hopping and a well placed rocket. If you go back and play some Quake 2 you will realize that the physics of the game allow for a much greater amount of rocket player-propulsion than is implemented in the mod. That is to say, the Quake 2 guy should be able to "catch better air" than his Quake 3 contemporary.

Granted, dm17 is relatively huge on quake2 standards, as far as wide open spaces are concerned. This is the biggest issue with the rocket discrepancy, but whether or not the numbers are identical in the code, it doesn't "feel" the same even with all other factors being equal (q2 players only in a q2 remake or q2-themed map). If you want to get technical about it and deny that there is any possibility that there could ever be even a passing discrepancy between quake2 rockets and strogg q3g rockets, that's entirely up to you, but it isn't a delusion I'm afflicted with.

You'll have to forgive me for not having read every single thread ever in this forum before chancing a post. I hadn't mentioned anything of the sort between grapple speeds, merely the visuals for the interesting "retro" feel that the rest of the mod provides. If you had played Quake 1 CTF when it was first released, when it was only a server-side mod, the gold and silver keys were used instead of flags, and the grapple was a set of voreballs (or, sometimes, super nails) with an axe at the end of it. The purpose of bringing this back, again, would be to maintain that "retro" feel that will remind all the old Quake1 players what it used to be like to play the old-style CTF.

For the nailgun stuff, you can copy the values directly from the source but that doesn't necessarily net you an identical experience with a completely different game engine.

I'm surprised at your response on this subject, particularly your overall defensive and rather condescending nature. It is not your business, for example, to decide whether or not players should enjoy rocket jumps. If you are striving for consistency between the "generations" so far as to have very talented individuals spend a large quantity of time developing models and skins that are almost-but-not-enough-to-get-foxed perfect transitions from the original series, then I would only find it reasonable to assume that you would want to get the physics correct also. I am particularly puzzled by your reaction about rocket jumping since there has been so much work put into the slipgater's air control.

You can be as belligerent and condescending to me as you please, but that won't fix your messed up quake 2 rocket launcher. It is because you don't realize the use of rocket jumping that you don't see the discrepancy. Sure, quake 1 rockets featured a mean jump, but at the cost of a TON of life and armor. Quake 2 featured a similarly (and, dare I say, even more) spectacular jump, but with a much smaller pain cost.

If you want to call it hopeless minutiae that isn't worthy of your attention, then fine. However, don't pretend that the good ol' quake 2 players (particularly the old rocket arena 2 players, the category I belong to) are going to be able to play their strogg troopers like they would have expected to. I sure couldn't.

-UltraMagnus

P.S. - I hope this is now structured enough for you to properly read. I wasn't aware I was being graded on my eloquence, or lack thereof.  Slipgate - Asleep
UltraMagnus

« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-02, 01:29 »

Phoenix-

Thanks for a genuine, non-flammable reply. I used the center hand; I forget which number that was.

-UltraMagnus
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-02, 01:30 »

center = 2 :]

Edit
And thanks for taking an interest. We do what we can ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-05-02, 01:35 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
UltraMagnus

« Reply #7 on: 2004-05-02, 01:33 »

Thanks; I'd guessed at it when you mentioned that the "serious players" used that hand, because I'd been told to get better at q2 at that setting.

Fantastic work from you and Phoenix; I've just been through the 99e thread.

-UltraMagnus
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-05-02, 01:37 »

Well let's see, that's a rather long post there, and after having read it I've seen the light.  I'm glad you have so much faith in my coding abilities when I don't know one game engine from another.  You know what, you're absolutely right, and I'm ashamed I even bothered to look at the Doom, Quake 1, and Quake 2 source codes.  I'm sorry that all the years of Rocket Arena and Quake 2 deathmatch that I've played were completely wasted.  I'm sorry that I've labored since the year 2000 on this mod and slaved away completely in vain.  I'm sorry that we didn't code things completely the way you feel they should be in the game, so I tell you what I'll do.  I'll let you recode the entire modification completely from scratch.  This way we can get past our obvious incompetence and let you code the mod as it should be properly written.  I'll be looking forward to the new and properly written Quake 2 gameplay mode!
« Last Edit: 2004-05-02, 01:38 by Phoenix » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2004-05-02, 01:43 »

I was being a tad condecending, true, but that was mostly because the post sounded like it was written by a 14-year old Ccounter-Strike player, a type we've more than had our fill of before. Slipgate - Smile The only people more certain to set our teeth on edge are ones who come in arguing for the 'pro gamer' type of 1on1 gameplay.

It still doesn't change my view on the matter, however. I played Quake2 for years. I played Q2 CTF, and a TON of rocket arena. I was, and still am, the best rocket-jumper in my clan, a distinction that I've carried over to Generations.

My biggest problem is the lack of consistency in your post. You speak of specific jumps, and yet refuse to tell which ones. You now speak of knowing that the maps are different in proportions, and yet in another post you were unaware of the berserker pack for Doom.

How am I supposed to know what you know and what you don't? If I assume you know nothing, I can cover all the bases and leave nothing out. It's nothing personal, it's just the easiest way to make sure nothing is left out.

The grenade-rocketjump is very much possible in Gen, and I've been able to get from the ground on our Edge remake up to the grenade launcher doing so. I'd have to say that's ample height, personally.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-02, 05:08 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2004-05-02, 01:46 »

Tell me where you want me to RJ to with Strogg, and I'll do it just for you... I don't know what you're talking about with this q3dm17 jump, considering q3dm17 didn't exist in Q2 and shouldn't have any history with Strogg jumping =]
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-05-02, 01:46 »

Also, I don't expect you to read every single thread. Just the ones at the top like the feedback thread and the what's coming up for 99e thread.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-05-02, 02:04 »

Here, I recorded a demo of myself doing several of my favorite q2dm1 trickjumps, including central floor to grenade launcher, SSG area to yellow armor, upper rocket launcher to opposite ledge, and stairway to upper RL.

Tekhead was also almost able to grenade-rocket jump to the Quad on q3dm17, I hope he'll post his own demo soon.

Edit: I did use godmode on this, just so I wouldn't have to gather health/armor to help keep the file smal. Godmode has no effect on knockback. All of these jumps are possible without using the cheats. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2004-05-02, 02:08 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2004-05-02, 02:15 »

I did make it to the Quad.  I've also shown how high you can get on Gen-q2dm1.  Here's two demos of my own:

http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/phoeni...tjump_demos.zip

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #14 on: 2004-05-02, 04:21 »

I'm not a programer,skinner or anything like that but have one thing to say:BETA.These guys have been working hard and so far come up with an awesome mod for q3.-which in my opinion was lacking severely.Nobodies perfect man.Give them a break Slipgate - Roll Eyes Granted there might be a few things off key but hell,just over look it and have fun.They're aware of these things and will try to fix it eventually.All I'm saying is give them a bit of credit,bringing ALL of these great games together takes quite abit of talent.                                                                                                                                                                               P.S.-Keep up the good work guys Thumbs up!

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2004-05-02, 04:31 »

death stalker summed it up fairly well in his usual "eloquent" way Slipgate - Wink
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #16 on: 2004-05-02, 04:47 »

Phoenix, I'm really getting sick and tired of your attitude towards the people who play this mod.

Time and time again, someone downloads this mod, and they expect it to conform perfectly to their preconceptions of how games should work, not how the actual source codes say they work. Time and time again, you refuse to constantly change the generations source code to meet the infinitely varied opinions of those who play the mod. When are you going to realize that it is your responsibility, nay, DUTY, to capitulate to each and every demand made by random people who have only been playing the mod for a handful of days, if not hours?

Everytime you hide behind your "four years of work" and "dedication to being accurate," you only harm people like UltraMagnus, and Generations' chances of appealing to irrational blowhards.

When will you ever stop driving away 90% of the internet?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-05-02, 04:49 »

hahhaahah

That's great. I love you oobey!

have my babies
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2004-05-02, 04:52 »

*hangs head in shame* Sobbing

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-05-02, 04:52 »

Quote from: Phoenix
*hangs head in shame* Sobbing
Bad phoenix!

/me spanks you Idiot
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: