2024-09-16, 20:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DOOM + DOOM II Enhanced  (Read 912 times)
Makou

Team Member
Icon of Sin

« on: 2024-08-08, 21:41 »

Mom, they're porting Doom again... ...and if you already own the previous Unity port on Steam, this replaces it.

Now using the KEX Engine, this package includes the games/episodes you'd expect (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, Final Doom, No Rest for the Living) but now includes Sigil and Legacy of Rust, the latter of which is a 16-level Doom II episode made by a team of folks from Id Software, MachineGames, and Nightdive Studios... and features new monsters and weapons.

Local split-screen multiplayer for up to 4 players is here, and cross-platform online play (co-op and deathmatch) for up to 16 players is built in, with a total of 43 DM maps (26 new to this release) available.

Pretty much all of your other standard Nightdive/KEX things are present, so your 16:9 resolutions and modern controller support and all of that junk. But they've also shown some love to the music, with accurate recreations of the MIDI soundtrack present (apparently done using proper legacy hardware, and not just the "intended" soundcard) plus Andrew Hulshult's IDKFA album available as an arranged music option, with new recordings where needed for Doom II.

The community created stuff is also present... and improved. Boom compatibility is present.

There's also a "vault" with a bunch of assets that have seemingly never been seen by the public before; graphics and sounds and such. The full version of the death scream is... interesting. I wonder which early-90's Id guy is the voice behind it.

I think that wraps it up.

Is available now on Steam, listed as "DOOM + DOOM II."
« Last Edit: 2024-08-08, 21:45 by Makou » Logged

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2024-08-09, 00:39 »

Well, that's certainly worth a look.  Doomed

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2024-08-09, 00:54 »

Doom Eternal just announced mod support with a new update as well.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Makou

Team Member
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2024-08-09, 02:17 »

Official mod support. On the live stream they actually acknowledged that people had found a way to mod the game anyway, lol

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2024-08-09, 02:26 »

Indeed.  Modders gonna mod!  Slipgate - Laugh

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2024-08-09, 02:45 »

Official mod support. On the live stream they actually acknowledged that people had found a way to mod the game anyway, lol
What? people mod doom? i can't believe it!
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2024-08-15, 02:41 »

I'm digging this new episode. I have to say i was kind of skeptical when i heard machine games would be involved but its actually pretty good.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2024-08-15, 06:39 »

I am curious... Why the hesitation for Machinegames?  I found the new Quake and Quake II content they did to be pretty good.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2024-08-15, 16:43 »

Because they destroyed Wolfenstein with The New Colossus and Youngblood. Which is a pity because The New Order and old blood were so good.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2024-08-15, 16:46 »

But fair point they did good with the Quake remasters
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #10 on: 2024-08-26, 03:25 »

Ehh... Not bad by any means but for some reason I keep expecting source port stuff to work, like looking vertically or jumping.

Not sure if that's a failing on their part or mine to be honest.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2024-08-26, 05:31 »

I think GZDoom and Skulltag have spoiled us a bit.  I turned off the crosshair and I no longer feel the urge to aim vertically.  I also copied the .wad files from the base folders to re-release to get rid of the vermillion plus signs on the medkits.  Doing those two things it feels like classic Doom, but without the visually blockiness.  I just wish they would allow system midi as I like the Yamaha XG-GS synth chipset better than the "original" tracks, but eh, I'm still having fun running through to collect achievements.

One thing I do like is the code is actual Doom code and removes doesn't contain a lot of GZDoom's "fixes" that actually break some of the old idiosyncrasies from classic Doom, such as monster alert behaviors.  In classic Doom/Doom II, if  monsters infight and one kills the other, and the player is not in view the victor will play their alert sound again, provided the player fired a shot to wake the monsters.  If the player did not make a sound, the monster will go back to sleep.  GZDoom changed the behavior so that monsters stay alert 100% of the time, which I complained about back in the day (when it was still just Zdoom) and the answer I got was, well, disappointing as to why the programmer at the time didn't want to keep the classic behavior, especially considering the compatibility options PRBoom has at its disposal.  It was a convoluted techno-jargon way of saying "I don't feel like it so I'm not doing it".  Either way, just one of those quirks I loved in the original game and it's fun to play oldschool-style with newer graphics options.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: