2024-04-27, 21:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USA Forum Game (Screenshots uploaded!)  (Read 7090 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-02-16, 08:59 »

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/gallery/vie...um-Game-2-14-04

I took these myself, so if there are an overabundance of shots of Phoenix offing people that's why.  I didn't feel like spectating for the entire night.  Got any screenshots you want uploaded?  Let us know! Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2004-02-16, 21:07 »

Just a quick question.

If I were to record a demo next week, would it be cool for me to get it to somebody (like you, Pho) who can run with more graphic options turned on so any screenshots grabbed from it would look better? I tend to spectate every couple of maps, but any images I'd grab wouldn't look so nice (I have pretty much everything turned way down).

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-02-17, 00:16 »

Sure!  Spectated demos are the best kind for grabbing screenies. Slipgate - Smile

OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2004-02-17, 02:19 »

Pardon my ignorance, but I would have to assume that since demos just make recordings of the entire game, would it be plausible to go away from where the demo taker went during the course of a demo?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-02-17, 02:24 »

You mean a way to spectate a demo?

Hmm.. It MIGHT be possible, but I don't know the specifics.. Pho?

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-17, 03:20 »

Oh, if there were, that would be abseloutely awesome!

I don't think demos can function in that way though... last I heard
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-17, 08:07 »

To my knowledge, no.  The demo centers around the client taking the demo.  It may be possible to put in some kind of "fly away" mode, but it would take some serious research.  I know you can change your view and camera origin using these variables though:

cg_thirdperson (1 or 0)
cg_thirdpersonangle (0-360)
cg_thirdpersonrange (- ? to +?)

Yes, you can use a negative value for range and look from AHEAD of your position.  Keep in mind that thirdperson offsets cannot go through walls nor can you change pitch angle.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-02-17, 14:23 »

It seems to me that it's easier to just record a demo as a free-floatin' spectator, for screenshot purposes?

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-02-18, 03:47 »

Well, the problem is even as a free-floating spectator you're still limited to the origin point you had when you recorded the demo.  Some shots can be a hair off, or you can miss something good.  Free-floating is still a lot better for screenshots than first-person recording.  The only bad thing is you can't do both at the same time.  Being able to roam could really add some artistic freedom to screenshot taking and you could theoreticaly unlink yourself from the perspective of whom you are chasing.  One thing you CANNOT do is switch between followed clients.  The server only sends snapshot date for the person you are following.  That includes information such as health, armor, etc.  In non-spectator mode you only get this information about yourself.  This is an anti-cheat  measure that Id introduced a long time ago.

Oh, something I also forgot to mention.  Timescale works in demos.  You can fast-forward or slow down by using timescale.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-02-18, 05:10 »

personally, I'd be fine with a lack of client-information if it allows you to freely roam an active demo..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
dzjepp

Lost Soul

« Reply #10 on: 2004-02-20, 18:44 »

Skeet eh?  :unsure:
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-02-21, 02:08 »

Due to some testing I did with Oobey, I've found out that roaming during a demo will not work.  Clients do not receive every event on the server.  I'm not sure how it works exactly, but if you can't see it and it's a certain distance most trivial events (like footsteps, bullet impacts, etc) are not received by the client.  While this drastically saves on netcode, this would break the ability to take a clean demo.  It's hardcoded in Quake3.exe, so there's no way around it.

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-02-21, 02:11 »

Can we at least have a rotating track cam, a la RA2/RA3? Slipgate - Wink

Pretty please?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: