2024-04-19, 16:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: W.I.P. Thread (Post pictures of your WIP maps)  (Read 25239 times)
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #20 on: 2004-03-13, 18:57 »

Just as a little suggestion, you have something that is fairly geometrically simple to work with as a canvas, since Gross was a fairly simplstic map, I would say go hogwild on the geometry, put as much detail in it as you can (even though you appear to be doing so). Rely less on texturing and more on geometry
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #21 on: 2004-03-13, 19:29 »

Im way ahead of you, my first try at the start room I showed to Tabun, and he said the same thing, so I redid it but with more geometry and architecture.
The first edition of the start room was just 7 wall brushes, a floor and a ceiling.

What you cant see on that screenshot is theres a few monitors and a long sweeping shelf across the back wall. So Im trying Slipgate - Smile
Plus the mainroom is looking pretty good (Imo anyways)
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2004-03-16, 17:39 »

the darker the map , the nicer the weapon effects are Slipgate - Wink
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #23 on: 2004-03-27, 12:02 »

Okidoke, Grosse update
Ive got the big room fleshed out, and i've started detailing it.
What you cant see on this screenshot is a giant "DooM" shaped gap in the ceiling near the 2 pillars.
As you can see, I also added a bit of vertical in there Slipgate - Smile
Blasphemy? Slipgate - Laugh
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2004-03-27, 13:44 »

That's so washed out it's almost impossible to make out any detail at all
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2004-03-27, 20:51 »

Hard to judge with only one screenshot.. but it seems nice. however i do believe you should change that concrete texture to something else..concrete will do fine as details but it really shouldnt be the main texture theme.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #26 on: 2004-03-27, 23:48 »

I'm assuming the map is fullbright at the moment, and there isn't some massive light source creating this, you need to start thinking of how to light up this large room, since invisible light fixtures are bad
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #27 on: 2004-03-28, 01:09 »

It looks godawful at the moment, especially with the washout.  I certainly don't like the whole sunken floor with the ramp.  Very untrue to the original.   Slipgate - Sad  

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #28 on: 2004-03-28, 11:12 »

Bah Pho, Its supposed to be a remix. Im sure if it was entirely true to the original, the gameplay would be so slow and drab, it would kill the map.   Slipgate - Distraught

The fullbright washout will change, its just there so I can actually see things and not stumble about in the dark.

Reboot, yeah I agree. I'll see If i can find something that fits better  Slipgate - Grin
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2004-03-29, 04:46 »

I've never really been fond of remixes.  I prefer remakes that are as true to the original as possible.  If it weren't a legal issue I'd love to be able to do flat conversions with just a retexturing job.  Call me a nitpicky purist in that respect.    Slipgate - Smile~

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #30 on: 2004-04-04, 01:46 »

Quote from: Devlar
Finished another room, only 3 more left

Only problem is I have to make a green pillar for this room, kind of like the Tabpillar except larger and green, and I'm really not sure how
if you want any custom models made for your maps let me know.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #31 on: 2004-04-04, 20:18 »

I'll have to learn how to model one of these days (actually the modeling part is easy its the texturing that i can't do) since almost all new games use meshes not brushes. Brush work is dying...

Since you are offering, here's one I could use
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #32 on: 2004-04-04, 23:30 »

O.o, problems dev? you've got posts all over the place Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2004-04-04, 23:57 »

That wouldn't be too hard to model, so if you can't find anyone who'll do it, I'll gladly whip it up.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #34 on: 2004-04-05, 05:01 »

Quote from: Devlar
I'll have to learn how to model one of these days (actually the modeling part is easy its the texturing that i can't do) since almost all new games use meshes not brushes. Brush work is dying...

Since you are offering, here's one I could use
would be cool to light the white rings also.
any type of spindle shape can be made with lathe fast.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #35 on: 2004-04-05, 07:50 »

Doing brushes and modelling is almost the same thing, the diffrence is that it's much easier to create forms using a modelling program such as 3dsmax for an eg. but as you said doing skinmaps is indeed quite difficult. btw if you wonder you can do q3maps using 3dsmax.. q3map2 and GTKradiant supports various model formats. it's a bit trixy to specify the shader paths. never tried it but im about to start creating a map in max.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #36 on: 2004-04-05, 07:52 »

Slipgate - Off Topic  still waiting on a map from you roadkill  Slipgate - Off Topic
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2004-04-05, 11:37 »

It's easy to model, but it's tricky & harder to model the right way :]
Skinmapping is tough too, but not quite up there with organics modelling..

Example: It's easy to build up a map from brushes, do substractions and whatnot and have still have a pretty decent map, even considering drawing speed hits. It's much harder to stick to a poly budget :]

I'll whip a quick thingy up for that lamppost, in between the works, and you can tell me if it's right. Just something I played with, mind you, I'm aware (some of) you can handle the modelling just fine, just couldn't resist ;]

« Last Edit: 2004-04-05, 12:29 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #38 on: 2004-04-06, 02:48 »

Quote from: games keeper
Slipgate - Off Topic  still waiting on a map from you roadkill  Slipgate - Off Topic
what map is that.
I figured you guys weren't interested in anything I did.
i was going to model all of the pipes for sewer and release
it with better texture's
I'm pretty caught up with ut2004 mapping and modeling and
hl2 modeling right now.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #39 on: 2004-04-06, 06:37 »

Quote from: ReBoOt
Doing brushes and modelling is almost the same thing, the diffrence is that it's much easier to create forms using a modelling program such as 3dsmax for an eg. but as you said doing skinmaps is indeed quite difficult. btw if you wonder you can do q3maps using 3dsmax.. q3map2 and GTKradiant supports various model formats. it's a bit trixy to specify the shader paths. never tried it but im about to start creating a map in max.
Well you can convert parts of your brushwork into ASE models which you can then import into a map.

The thing is you can do much more creative things when the whole map is made out of models, but yes, skinmapping is a horrid bitchgoddess. The thing is both the next generation engines, and the UT engine will all use preconstructed models as the basis for maps (Doom 3 more than Half Life 2). So we either learn it or we stop mapping fairly soon.

But don't create the entire map in Max, just make chunks and export them out, having one chunk is really not very useful

I'll whip a quick thingy up for that lamppost, in between the works, and you can tell me if it's right.
Very Nice
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: