2024-04-27, 00:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: For the Christians in the Audience  (Read 36072 times)
Devlar

Makron

« on: 2003-02-14, 16:05 »

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/...2000/doom1.html
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #1 on: 2003-02-14, 16:42 »

Wow, and harsh!  Where do these people come from?

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/...000/quake3.html

Yet another ugly review?.
 Fainting
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #2 on: 2003-02-14, 18:51 »

You'd think they'd be happy about video games training children to fight the forces of Hell...
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #3 on: 2003-02-14, 18:58 »

IMO, they are severely blinded by their faith.. its like: "Oh yes, prostitution cant possibly in a game cos it doesnt exist, neither does killing, or terrorism"

Get... a... grip!
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #4 on: 2003-02-14, 20:31 »

I played hours of it before the Lord sincerely convicted me to the heart about the sinful nature of the game.

Oh the joys of living in sin
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-02-15, 00:18 »

:angry: *SNARL*

Jesus said to his disciples "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."  Before they were coming to take him at the garden of Gethsemene he also told his disciples "he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Be peaceful, but be prepared to defend yourself from evil.  Nowhere did he tell anyone to be blind as a bat and dumb as a post.  There are real evils in this world, very real temptations and very real sins, but Doom, Quake, and Quake 3 don't qualify as any of those.  What galls me is how everyone blames the Id games as being satanic, evil, etc, yet not once have I seen the chorus of condemnation go after games that DO seem to glorify violence and vice, like say, Kingpin?  Makes me wonder what kind of glue these people are sniffing.  And evil symbols, please.  Pentagrams are only given value by culture, they are not mentioned in the bible.  One might also remember that St. Peter was crucified upside-down.  If the cross Christ was nailed to has significance to the church, what about the one Peter was nailed to?  After all, Peter FOUNDED the church...  Symbols only convey what you choose to see in them, or what's accepted by culture.  If these people are afraid of something as simple as a geometric shape then I'd hate to see how they react when confronted with some real hellspawn.  I can't stand it when so-called believers deceive themselves into thinking that trivial matters are important, and then turn around and trivialize important matters.  I've played countless hours of Doom, Doom II, Quake 2, and Quake 3, Halflife, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior...  I can safely say I've never once taken a human life in anger as a result, nor massacred any cute furry animals (unless I was hungry at the time), nor do I worship Satan.  I'm the sworn enemy of the latter, always have been, always will be.  Maybe being front-line combat in the whole good vs. evil thing gives me a thicker hide than these timid types, I don't know.  Personally I find it satisfying to gun down and chainsaw the legions of hell in a fantasy game.  I wish dealing with the real thing was as simple and visceral as a shotgun blast and a smoking corpse of evil at someone's feet, I'm used to dealing with more intangible and shadowy things that don't die quite so easily.  I see nothing wrong with blasting a few pinkies with a boomstick.

This is nothing more that the same demonizing and blame-shifting that went on with Dungeons and Dragons, and that is going on now with the Harry Potter books.  People are responsible for their own actions, and parents are responsible for their children.  If the kid's too young to play Doom then don't let them, simple as that.  If you have a problem with the game, don't buy it, but leave everyone else alone.  If anyone's doing the work of Satan it's these buffoons who go tilting at windmills, micro-managing people's lives and making up these "approved by Jesus!" lists (like they ever asked Him in the first place) when there are more important things to deal with.   Crime, prostitution, drugs, terrorism, corruption in government and business, the loss of faith in people's lives, the loss of hope in the lives of countless youngsters, despair, poverty, starvation, disease... I have yet to see a video game cause ANY of this.  If anything this world represses the natural need to vent the agressive tendencies that exist in all life forms that also exist in humans.  Giving someone a fantasy outlet to get rid of the excess adrenaline is healthy, not harmful, and the online community is a great place to find friends of all races, nationalities, backgrounds, and faiths.  But then, the positive is always overlooked when the lynch mob is out for blood.  The book burning and idiocy needs to stop.  If these people want to do some good for the world in the name of God then they should get their heads out of their asses, study the scripture for what it really says and preach the word for what it says, not what they want it to say, instead of blindly following the TV evangelists and extremist nuts.   They need to get THEMSELVES right with God before telling other people what to do, or they're just hypocrite goody-little-two-shoes who want to run people's lives.  Funny, I remember Jesus taking on a group like that about 2000 years ago.  They were called Pharisees. Big Gun  Fainting

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-02-15, 01:37 »

oh my, that's a phoenix™ rant alright :]

To me, the whole deal of approving or banning on religious grounds is as moronic as the need a lot of people on the planet feel to make beliefs equal for everyone and shift the focus from the individual to the masses (ala the jihad, mormon neighbourhood watch etc).
My beliefs are my own and I expect others to respect them in the way I respect theirs. Obviously, this would be too much to ask for a frighteningly large percentage of earth's population.

Indoctrination and other means of limiting or removing one's ability to use one's mind and come one's own conclusions and beliefs is not about respect at all. And if a god does exist, I don't think it'll approve of the compromise of something so beautiful.
I also find find it seriously hard to believe that the kids posting on that site how they are shocked by pentagrams and whatnot will generally have a feeling of being in touch with themselves as they mature. And in a few sad cases I've witnessed, people were seriously depressed about their past and the uncertainty of their future.

Another reason for me to say: 'Generations Arena, we put the CHILD back in CHILDHOOD' ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #7 on: 2003-02-15, 02:17 »

"Another reason for me to say: 'Generations Arena, we put the CHILD back in CHILDHOOD' ;]"

I STRONGLY agree Tab! Introduce them to Generations Arena!! hahah!

"I also find find it seriously hard to believe that the kids posting on that site how they are shocked by pentagrams and whatnot will generally have a feeling of being in touch with themselves as they mature. And in a few sad cases I've witnessed, people were seriously depressed about their past and the uncertainty of their future."

Kids? There are even some over 20's... Slipgate - Tongue
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #8 on: 2003-02-15, 02:24 »

As anti religious as i am I fully agree with Phoenix on this part
I just find it incredibly funny that playing games can be related to satan worshipping, reminds me of that Tom Hanks movie about D&D and insanity

EDIT one for Oobey
http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/...3/fallout2.html

What's even funnier about this one is they recommend Fallout Tactics, now if anyone has played fallout tactics will know how that is funny, not because Fallout Tactics is vulgar in any  way shape or form but because the subject matter is social control and doing what your told... ahahahaha
« Last Edit: 2003-02-15, 02:32 by Devlar » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-02-15, 16:07 »

I agree with pho .
even if I didnt read his post (to long and me to laisy )
and im a christian .
but hell I only go to church one time a year because grandpa and grandma wants it .
without that I even dont believe in Gd.
I believe in the vadriger that comes to kidnap me to fight in his arenas  :unsure:
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #10 on: 2003-02-16, 02:06 »

I was raised a Christian, but I don't believe everything... it's just too far out there to be believable, or maybe I was just taught wrong in Cathloic school(It's HIGHLY possible in this area).. who knows. In any case, I've came up with my own beliefs and disbeliefs now and follow those, no matter how far off track they are from what is truely right or wrong, it's what I believe.

Anyway, I agree with Phoenix about the above issue.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #11 on: 2003-02-16, 07:28 »

The Finger @christian ratings..and them too  Slipgate - Laugh
Demonwench

Hans Grosse

« Reply #12 on: 2003-02-16, 08:29 »

Excuse me, Omega...there's no need to flip me off.  I'm a happy little Christian.  But I'm a very laid back Christian.  I'm very happy with the way I am, and if you're happy with the way you are, I'm all good.  I'm not going to force my beliefs down your throat because you all have a mind of your own and can make up your own mind in this matter.  I don't appreciate being given the bird for my beliefs.  

I hate being generalized.  Not all Christians are extremists, but you hear about them more.  They give us regular Christians a bad name.  You flip off all Christians, you flip off those that are fine and dandy.  By lumping us all together like that, you're no better than some of those extremist Christians who see everyone who doesn't believe what they believe exactly as infidels.  Think about that before you flip off the average Christian.

I think games are just that...games.  It's not real.  There's nothing wrong with having fun with a freakin game.  I know a lot of Christians that play these so called Satanic games, and they're no more violent than the next person.  I do agree that these people need to make peace with God rather than go on these crusades.
redx

Imp

« Reply #13 on: 2003-02-16, 08:54 »

seems a bit odd how the reviewer in the fallout 2 review manages to praise 'the road warrior' in the begining paragraph, but goes on to talk about the vulgarity of fallout 2.
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #14 on: 2003-02-16, 09:08 »

Quote from: Demonwench
Excuse me, Omega...there's no need to flip me off.  I'm a happy little Christian.  But I'm a very laid back Christian.  I'm very happy with the way I am, and if you're happy with the way you are, I'm all good.  I'm not going to force my beliefs down your throat because you all have a mind of your own and can make up your own mind in this matter.  I don't appreciate being given the bird for my beliefs.  

I hate being generalized.  Not all Christians are extremists, but you hear about them more.  They give us regular Christians a bad name.  You flip off all Christians, you flip off those that are fine and dandy.  By lumping us all together like that, you're no better than some of those extremist Christians who see everyone who doesn't believe what they believe exactly as infidels.  Think about that before you flip off the average Christian.

I think games are just that...games.  It's not real.  There's nothing wrong with having fun with a freakin game.  I know a lot of Christians that play these so called Satanic games, and they're no more violent than the next person.  I do agree that these people need to make peace with God rather than go on these crusades.
just some of them..they're so stupid! they're hypocrites! its stupid!
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #15 on: 2003-02-16, 09:49 »

I'm a happy little hedon and proud of it
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2003-02-16, 12:39 »

I know plenty of athiests that are pretty stupid and hypocritical too Omega, but I also know some that are pretty smart and stand by their principles.  Demonwench's point is that you cannot stereotype people by one aspect of their character.  Sure, some are stupid, but by lumping all Christians together, good with the bad, it just makes you appear to be like the very people you're offended by.  Bigotry has never been solved with more bigotry.  I for one am very passionate about my beliefs, but do I condemn others for not sharing them?  No.  I get along just fine with OoBeY, who's very much an admitted athiest.  So far Devlar and I are getting along fine here despite that huge clash we had a while back.  Notice that I'm very quick to call fellow "believers" on the carpet when they're not following what's written in scripture and are instead acting like idiots.  Why?  I don't care who's in the wrong, or what they believe, I call it like I see it.  To me the truth is more important than someone's ego or pride.  To me Christianity is a labor of love, and sometimes that love isn't always warm hugs and the like.  Remember Jesus whipping the money changers with a scourge and knocking over their tables because they were defiling the temple by their actions?  Sometimes caring means you have to lay down the law.  I'll smack down a goody-little-two-shoes holier-than-thou type faster than I'll ever smack down an athiest because the former of the two is doing a LOT more harm than the latter by preaching false doctrine and playing the guilt-trip game.  Nothing galls me more than a hypocrite claiming to be a Christian.  Our actions may define us, but we're more than just the sum of a collection of personality traits.  Simply categorizing someone by one aspect of their life, in this case religious preference, is no different than categorizing someone by another aspect of their life, like skin color.  Think hard about that before being so quick to pounce next time. <_<

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #17 on: 2003-02-16, 12:54 »

Personal Interpretation is what counts, what annoys me about some people is they think that interpretation can be dictated to them by the organization.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2003-02-16, 13:52 »

on the count of people being hypocritical or stupid, I personally believe that 90% of the world population is  all that, no matter what they believe in. What other type of creature, given the ability to create, chooses to destroy instead? For no reason, I might add :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #19 on: 2003-02-16, 19:51 »

i dont got a prob with christians..and everyone from any religion can be stupid  Slipgate - Laugh but the moment they start sayin how great god is..and that i should be that way too..and try to change me and crap is when i start to get pissed off. im glad there are still some smart ones like DW out there.. Thumbs up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: