2024-03-29, 06:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American McGee's Oz Canceled!  (Read 4202 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-03-03, 21:36 »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/496/496360p1.html?fromint=1

Talking with game designer American McGee today, IGN learned that the upcoming title Oz is "dead in the water." After Infogrames (now Atari) dropped the title, the development team shopped around to other publishers but found no one who was willing to take a chance on an intellectual property that hadn't yet proven itself in the video games arena. Sidestepping the lack of interest among game publishers, American McGee eventually sold the concept to Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney in hopes of generating enough anticipation to encourage companies like Microsoft or Sony to publish the game.

Until the film is green-lit, the development team doesn't feel it's worth trying to sell publishers on the game idea. This is the reverse of the usual scenario where successful games spawn action figures, comics and movies in a flurry of cross-marketing cash-ins. American's hoping to turn the process on its head and build awareness of a brand through other mediums in hopes of convincing publishers to take a chance on new ideas.

I was looking forward to this. I enjoyed Alice. Slipgate - Sad
Apocrypha

Ogre

« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-06, 05:08 »

Sad, sad, sad. I very much enjoyed Alice though the gameplay was mediocre, the art direction and character designs were awesome and the plot was pretty good too, as it was able to revisit the material without it feeling like a rehash.

And I can't believe that he went with Bruckheimer and Disney, Tim Burton would have been a much better choice, as this kind of thing is right up his alley.
« Last Edit: 2004-03-06, 05:10 by Apocrypha » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-12, 20:03 »

Wow? This thoroughly depresses me. I was looking forward to Oz quite a bit. Hehe, actually, the first thing I said after playing Alice was that they should do an American McGee?s Oz next. It seemed like a reasonable transition to me, and it obviously did to them as well Slipgate - Tongue

Alice honestly wasn?t that fun to play, but it was sure as Hell great to look at and experience, which is why it only depresses me further that the rights to Oz were sold to the evil empire that is Disney, in conjunction with that no-talent, special effects junkie Bruckheimer.  Slipgate - Sad
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-12, 20:11 »

Quote from: Apocrypha
And I can't believe that he went with Bruckheimer and Disney, Tim Burton would have been a much better choice, as this kind of thing is right up his alley.
Tim Burton doesn't blow up enough stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: