2024-04-23, 14:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sanctioned Adultery? (I prefer "thou shalt not"...)  (Read 4980 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2004-03-04, 08:44 »

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_878924.html?menu=

Does anyone else see something seriously wrong with the world when "experts" start giving this kind of advice?  What ever happened to TRUST, and COMMITMENT?  How about the part in the marraige vows where the priest says "forsaking all others"?  Why should those have to take a back seat to sex?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-04, 12:58 »

or perhaps the whole 'trying new things' thing, just to keep it interesting? o_O
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-04, 13:38 »

I completely agree with what you've said Pho.  I have a strong suspicion that the reason why couples sex lives are failing is simply because they're lacking in the other parts.  Sex is meant to strengthen a relationship and reinforce each mate's trust in each other.  It is not however, something that should be depended upon soely to maintain a relationship as it'll only become a chore then.  This is true of just about everything else in life that requires an immense amount of time and dedication.

Perhaps that doctor's opinion is true, but I am almost certain that it's true only for couples who confuse "lust" with "love" and mistake  "hormones" for "passion."

I'd like to share with you all a light-hearted, but very accurate (in my opinion anyhow,) depiction of how a good relationship should be or perhaps just strive to be:

The links below are to a story-arc of sorts in an online web-comic by Scott Kurtz.  Throughout the course of PvP, Scott Kurtz has done an awesome job at depicting the relationship between two of the main characters, Brent and Jade.  I picked this one as it's the most recent, and I also feel that it does a great job at covering the "small things" in life that really matter.

Starts Here:
http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20040102

Ends Here:
http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20040121
« Last Edit: 2004-03-04, 13:39 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Devlar

Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-04, 16:34 »

I think its seriously wrong when any "expert" starts giving advice rather than real analysis, case in point, Dr. Phil
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-04, 21:57 »

he has a point.. it is going against human nature and instincts to only have sex with one person and only that person..  animals dont seem to have any problems doing it with everyone of theirs.. why would humans be any different.. except that we are more self aware and the only reason we only have sex with one person is because its a built in value from christianity.. no other religion places that you can only have one partner.. at least thats as far as i know..
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-05, 07:31 »

Hedhunta, the notion that animals cannot be monogamous is completely false.  Many animals are indeed monogamous.  In the bird kingdom it's more the rule than the exception.  Why do you think we have such complex songs and courtship behaviors?  Look at the Northern Cardinal.  They will not take another mate even if theirs dies.  Monogamy vs polygamy largely depends on the species in question.  Just lumping all of us animals together as "we'll screw anything that moves" does us a great disservice, and using it to excuse infidelity among humans is just that - making excuses.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #6 on: 2004-03-05, 08:16 »

Aye. Chinchillas are monogomous too. So extreme in fact that if one dies, the other will sometimes starve themselves to death due to the grief of the missed one. I've seen it happen.

Ya know, above all species, I think that humans should be the one species that practices monogomy. Maybe then, we wouldn't have so many children in foster homes and such. *shakes her head*
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #7 on: 2004-03-05, 14:28 »

We need to mix up the DNA.

At least that was always my excuse. (before I met my soulmate, Helen)
Apocrypha

Ogre

« Reply #8 on: 2004-03-05, 20:51 »

Truly deplorable, only a pure hedonist would break the bonds of love for sexual gratification. Granted I'm sure not everyone who marries does so because they love the other person, and sadly this has become increasingly true, I believe. I also think that people try and fall back on sexual acts to fill in the voids where the relationship is lacking in other areas, a laughable attempt at intimacy, which is not at all something to be misconstrued for sex.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: