2024-04-27, 15:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Feedback Thread  (Read 29473 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2004-04-09, 02:10 »

Quote from: Footman
Accually, Doom's sounds are in the open domain, they were taken from an open domain sound collection CD.
Got proof? We love you long time!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2004-04-09, 04:15 »

Yes, we need 100% confirmation on this.  If the sounds are open and not copyrighted that means we can use them for Generations!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #22 on: 2004-04-13, 21:50 »

That would explain why you sometimes hear Doom sound effects in movie previews and stuff. I think I've heard the opening and closing door sounds in some sci-fi shows, and I think I heard the pinky demon growl as that of the alligator in the preview for Peter Pan.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2004-04-13, 22:01 »

I've heard several sound effects from q1 in diffrent games, the item spawn is freqently used in other games..think i heard it in Goldeneye to N64. so id guess ID used several "open domain" sounds.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #24 on: 2004-04-13, 22:16 »

Quote from: Gnam
That would explain why you sometimes hear Doom sound effects in movie previews and stuff. I think I've heard the opening and closing door sounds in some sci-fi shows, and I think I heard the pinky demon growl as that of the alligator in the preview for Peter Pan.
You hear these sounds all the time.  It's fun to pick them out.  
I turn to my wife and say, "Mega-sphere pickup sound from Doom!!!"
She'll say something like, "Yes dear... :roll eyes:"
« Last Edit: 2004-04-13, 22:16 by dna » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #25 on: 2004-04-13, 23:13 »

Fragtown. I play these quite a lot for Q1 (it was off my PC for a week but otherwise I've had them on since 98)

Theres one really good one for painkeep for Q3 called fragtown30 that I play on a 1 to 1 dm a lot. It's got long open spaces and a lot of corners and highs to shoot from. Not at all like doom from dunwhich.

Gen needs that or a map like it in my opinion.

and smaller, faster nails. Slipgate - Ownage
monkey monkey monkey

« Reply #26 on: 2004-04-14, 17:12 »

OK, I got some stuff I'd like to see / say / know about...

Where is the slipgate grenade sound? I have most of these games already, so I've been making custom .paks with the original weapon sounds in. Problem is... Is there a way of having seperate bounce sounds for seperate grenades? Even though there is one that sounds like the slipgate grenade bounce, it's not linked to anything. The other grenade sound effects affect all of them.

By the way, I tried putting the Strogg grenade sound back in. I think the Q2 hand grenade should take much longer to explode!

That new Quake2 Heavy armour - You could put it on a Grunt model  Slipgate - Grin

And the Dual Earth Miniguns... I can only see one in 3rd person. You could use the animation tags from Q3: Team arena so both hands are outstretched, and duplicate the wep tag onto the flag arm Slipgate - Shifty

Keep up the good work  <3
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2004-04-14, 17:27 »

Well, we've actually already gone over most of those points, but here we go:

Grenade Sounds - Possibly in the works, but minor, look for this closer to 1.0
Strogg Grenades - The times are very close, the SOUNDS are off. Again, 1.0-ish material.
Visible Armor - With the variety of player models, this just isn't feasible. MAYBE if Tabun feels like creating a player model based on grunt using the strogg body armor.
3rd Person Dualgats - Again, minor visual concern, 1.0 material. Dualgats were hacked in at some point, but that hack no longer works. Pho's gonna do it right, just wait for it Slipgate - Wink

edit:
Yes, we need 100% confirmation on this. If the sounds are open and not copyrighted that means we can use them for Generations!
I'm not sure on ALL the sounds, but as for the scream: http://slashdot.org/articles/03/12/23/1514...&tid=188&tid=97

But specifically [involving the doom2 spawncubes]:
"That's on Sound Ideas' "The General" series 6000 sound effects library. Disc 6015, track 28-1: "Fire,Ball - Impact and large fire burst, rumble."

http://www.sound-ideas.com/6000.html
So start digging boys, you might find something useful.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-14, 17:52 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #28 on: 2004-04-14, 19:20 »

Yeah, I made my own custom sound PK3s too. Too bad I accidentally deleted them. It was actually a lot of work, downloading the right editors for each game, balancing the volume discrepeancies out. Oh well, guess I'll just have to do it again.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2004-04-15, 00:53 »

Mechanical rights are not included in the purchase of this synchronization license - and therefore except as specifically identified in the Sound Ideas and Hanna-Barbera & Turner Sound Effects End User License Agreements, you are not authorized to copy our sound effects - they must be synchronized within your productions.

http://www.sound-ideas.com/pdf/enduser.pdf

From what this and the EULA states these are not "freeware" so we would have to purchase the sounds from this collection in order to use them.  I don't know about you, but I do not have $1,000 to purchase a sound library.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #30 on: 2004-04-16, 17:56 »

Is there an option to turn the "YOU FRAGGED ____" messages off? If not that would be a nice feature, both to get a "classic feeling" and to improve peripheal vision. It might also be nice to be able to turn the feedback beeps off, so you can appreciate your enemies' death cries.  Sipgate - Evil
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #31 on: 2004-04-16, 18:41 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Lavaballs will be in an upcoming mapper SDK.
When though? Slipgate - Sad

I'd still really like to see some environmental (particle, maybe?) effects included... (Snow would certainly help out with what I promise will be an awesome version of Hans Grosse)...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2004-04-16, 19:40 »

Gnam:

cg_centertime 0
Disables the drawing center screen messages altogether (any other numbers sets the time in seconds. Sadly, this is 'cheat protected'. However, if you set it in the menu, it still works for cheat protected games. You just can't change it during play.

cg_drawKiller 0
At least disables the annoying head popping up of whomever killed you last (but that's not what you asked).

cg_nochatbeep "1"
Disables.. well.. the chatbeep.

« Last Edit: 2004-04-16, 19:51 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #33 on: 2004-04-18, 01:53 »

Thanks for the help, but are you sure about that centertime command Tab? It won't work for me. It doesn't say anything about cheat protection, it just doesn't recognize the command.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #34 on: 2004-04-18, 03:53 »

That's odd.. it definately works here, got it at 0.7 atm..

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2004-04-18, 05:05 »

Dev/null:  I'm planning to release the SDK alongside .99e since right now there are a few things that are broken in .99d that .99e is fixing.  A very big problem right now is the movers code.  Id never finished writing the prediction code for func_rotate, among other things, so I have to do it from scratch.  There was also a crash bug related to one of the map based shooter entities that .99e fixes.

Snow and rain effects are not workable at present.  It seems one of the point releases broke the code, which is very complex and finicky as it is.  I'm not sure if we're going to attempt to refix it or not, but I don't plan on working on that for .99e.  I've still got a lot of other things left to do for this release.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #36 on: 2004-04-18, 08:08 »

Hrmm...very odd... I've checked throught the whole cmdlist and used tab to approximate anything close to cg_centertime, and can't come up with anything. BTW, what is cg_scoreplums?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2004-04-18, 13:41 »

toggle cg_scoreplums
That enables/disables the little impressive, gauntlet, etc symbols above the scoring players' heads.

About the cg_centertime command.. It does work. I have a q3autoexec.cfg that I load on startup, to which I have added:

seta cg_centertime "0.7"

Which works like a charm. I know it works because I tried 0.5, which seemed too short, and 1, which seemed too long :]
Loading it at startup, and using 'seta', instead of 'set' might make a difference for this command - I know it's on odd one, that's for sure.

If all else fails, edit the q3config.cfg in your generations folder, to match your preferred centertime...
« Last Edit: 2004-04-18, 13:47 by Tabun » Logged

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #38 on: 2004-04-18, 20:12 »

scoreplums- isn't that what cg_drawrewards does?

Anyway, I finally got it (I wasn't using the set or seta command) but for some reason it resets to 3 after one game. Very strange. Maybe I'll try it in autoexec and see if that stops it from reseting.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2004-04-18, 21:23 »

Well, this is a vague one, and I haven't tested it myself yet. cg_drawRewards shows the rewards you acquired, above the 'you fragged...' message. It may also indeed toggle the viewing of the rewards above the players ingame.
cg_scoreplums however, toggles the showing of the score-change a player has just gone through. Suicide results in a red -1 floating up, for instance. I'm unsure where the plums themselves fit in .. so test freely ;]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: