2024-04-28, 16:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Feedback Thread  (Read 29480 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #60 on: 2004-06-03, 22:02 »

Quote from: Tabun
As for the client-side pk3s, this is the famous pure-server issue.
The pure setting is a pretty effective way of making sure people don't cheat with brightskins or spikemodels etc. I'm all in favour of that, since it's one of those things that sucked a lot in the Quake2 scene.
However, I feel there ought to be a list of files that shouldn't be affected or trigger the pure system. How is changing the Q3 Font cheating? How does one cheat by replacing announcer sounds with dutch versions (Slipgate - Wink)? What's so bad about changing hud icons or crosshairs?
Now, in-game sounds are a different matter, because making very loud sounds might make it easier to hear things, taking away game-elements.

At present, there are no plans to 'fix' this for Generations. I'm still all in favour of a way to allow harmless modifications even when sv_pure is enabled.
I agree. I have a ton of custom skins/bots and I'm sick of getting that "invalid .pk3 files referenced" kick message.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Paco the Taco

Imp

« Reply #61 on: 2004-06-04, 19:43 »

I needed to ask about something that may change a pretty big part of the mod. Is it just me, or is Visor one of the zombie guys from Quake 2 with the blaster, shotgun, or machinegun? I was asking becasue if he is, would you guys consider using his model for the singleplayer mode in the future? Also, would you ever change the title screen to using Anarki or Xaero for the Arena Gladiator holding the rail gun? Thanks again for your time and effort with the mod.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #62 on: 2004-06-04, 20:05 »

could you guys make a new mappack so that everyone could download them more easily?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #63 on: 2004-06-04, 20:16 »

Visor is in no way related to the Quake2 enemies. He looks entirely different to me, and the only thing that might somehow be taken as slightly similar is the fact that his face is covered by something. However, the slab of somethingness that covers Visor's face (if he indeed has one) is not at all like the helmets the Q2 'zombies' had. Visor runs like mad and has bionic legs of some sort - two things I can in no way compare to the Q2 'zombies' either.
Nup, I really don't see why it'd be resurgence material :]

Also, Visor is THE Quake3 model. He and Sarge have been in since Q3Test, and if any Quake 3 character is typical of the game, it's one of those two. So no, it's unlikely that the title screen will ever change to show a different character.

[Kruzader]: A mappack of what exactly? There is no new set of maps defined for Generations yet, and what we have compiled is already in neat mappacks. So the answer is either: Yes, we already have three mappacks easily downloadable - or Yes, whenever there will be a new mappack, you'll be able to download it as easily as the first three.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #64 on: 2004-06-04, 20:21 »

Ok thanks. Slipgate - Smirk

Paco the Taco

Imp

« Reply #65 on: 2004-06-05, 02:38 »

Quote from: Tabun
Visor is in no way related to the Quake2 enemies. He looks entirely different to me, and the only thing that might somehow be taken as slightly similar is the fact that his face is covered by something. However, the slab of somethingness that covers Visor's face (if he indeed has one) is not at all like the helmets the Q2 'zombies' had. Visor runs like mad and has bionic legs of some sort - two things I can in no way compare to the Q2 'zombies' either.
Nup, I really don't see why it'd be resurgence material :]

Also, Visor is THE Quake3 model. He and Sarge have been in since Q3Test, and if any Quake 3 character is typical of the game, it's one of those two. So no, it's unlikely that the title screen will ever change to show a different character.

[Kruzader]: A mappack of what exactly? There is no new set of maps defined for Generations yet, and what we have compiled is already in neat mappacks. So the answer is either: Yes, we already have three mappacks easily downloadable - or Yes, whenever there will be a new mappack, you'll be able to download it as easily as the first three.
I was curious.... If Visor is not from Quake 2, then why is Major, who was from Quake 2, holding Visor's head on the statues in Quake 3 (check the stautes on the first DM map with Ranger)? It seems very logical to me.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #66 on: 2004-06-05, 02:48 »

I'd interpret that as a Vadrigar Arena Trophy thing.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #67 on: 2004-06-06, 00:53 »

We cannot do any kind of "this file is in, this file is out" scheme with regards to pure server.  Pure server is a pk3 checksum that's run by Quake3.exe.  It is not something that can be altered by a mod team.

Also, sv_pure is entirely up to the server admin in terms of usage, alongside sv_strictauth and sv_punkbuster.  We neither encourage nor discourage the use of any of these cvars and controls.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #68 on: 2004-06-06, 22:16 »

I know what Paco means. I always thought Visor was a strogg too. His visor looks like the ones the Q2 gaurds wear, and his skin is very similar as well. He is a cyborg after all. I now know though, that according to the Q3 manual, they make no mention of Visor being a strogg. He's just a regular cyborg.

As for the pure-server thing, perhaps its not necessary to use sv_pure on Central. Its a small community where we all know eachother and know that none of us are the cheating type. If a cheater did show up, he would probably be identified pretty quickly and vote-kicked. Word about the cheater would spread through the forums and irc, and if the cheater ever showed up again, everyone would recognize him and he could be banned. Obviously, only a few of us have even very minor complaints about the sv_pure feature, and perhaps it doesn't seem worth the risk leaving it off. I'm just saying that the Gen community is very small, and not really under threat, so why bother locking the doors at night?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #69 on: 2004-06-06, 22:39 »

This is why, at the moment, the Euro server is running with sv_pure set to 0. Mind you, this is because we know and trust everyone that shows up there. If there'd be 20+ strangers every day, it'd probably be a different story.

I thought I was clear about Visor, but perhaps I was not. I've made the following useful reference sheet to make my meanings crystal:

I know the 'visor' itself is similar, but that is really the only thing that is even remotely comparable. A 'cyborg' is not automatically Stroggish.. if this were so, Robocop would be a Strogger (hell, he even has a visor!), as would the Terminator. :]

Genialus

Shambler

« Reply #70 on: 2004-06-07, 00:27 »

Slipgate - Off Topic Tabun, you're cheating with the background colors!

Just to be annoying and saying this AFTER the forums were changed, wouldn't it be nicer with a feedback subsection in the forum, in stead of a thread that just keeps getting longer and more confusing?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #71 on: 2004-06-07, 02:25 »

Quote from: Genialus
Slipgate - Off Topic Tabun, you're cheating with the background colors!

Just to be annoying and saying this AFTER the forums were changed, wouldn't it be nicer with a feedback subsection in the forum, in stead of a thread that just keeps getting longer and more confusing?
I've honestly considered changing the Bug Reports forum to include suggestions, or perhaps adding a separate suggestions board
monkey monkey monkey

« Reply #72 on: 2004-08-07, 22:10 »

I was gonna put this in 'what's coming up in 99e', but that thread's winding down, so...

What about the traditional method for Slipgater skin selection? Select a shirt and pants colour. This would probably be hard to do though - best I can think of is using the inner/outer railtrail colour bars, and somehow linking them to .skin files. Hell knows Slipgate - Distraught

And yes, Visor is nothing like the Strogg laser guard.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #73 on: 2004-08-08, 04:37 »

That's how you select your colors already. Your railcolors control your player colors.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #74 on: 2004-08-08, 05:38 »

Slipgate - RTFM  Slipgate - RTFM  Slipgate - RTFM  Slipgate - RTFM  Slipgate - RTFM  Slipgate - RTFM  Slipgate - RTFM  Idiot

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #75 on: 2004-08-09, 11:18 »

I have a problem. I'm new to XP (put it on thursday)  (but not Gen) and I THINK that 99e is being locked up by something in XP home. Could this be messanger? what the F*ck is messanger, and how do I stop it anyone?

UT seems to run ok, but Gen 99e locks up and gives a repeat loop of sound, about 0.5 sec long.

PS: hunk megs are set.

PPS: love the new gun models etc.

STOP PRESS: It only happens with bots! never otherwise.
another stop press: It didn't happen on the euro server - until i lanched a grenade!  I'll try dropping the graphics etc. this never happened with 99d guys. what am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: 2004-08-09, 11:44 by shambler » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #76 on: 2004-08-09, 14:18 »

It still looks like a memory problem to me. It's a known fact that XP is more of a mem-hog than any previous operating system by M$ (That is the trend they like to keep going). How much RAM does your system have available? What does the Task Manager have to say about resources? What's running in the background?

Messenger could be a pest, but I wouldn't know, because I burnt that mf of a program alive, before removing the ashes from my computer.

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #77 on: 2004-08-09, 16:03 »

this is whats running in the background....

does not happen with vanilla  Q3 by the way...
« Last Edit: 2004-08-09, 16:25 by shambler » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #78 on: 2004-08-09, 16:25 »

Ah.

NProtect.exe...
Well, I'm not arguing the use of a virus scanner, these days, it's a bare nescessity. But leaving it running actively in the background is a sure fire way to decrease game playability. I recommend disabling Norton Antivirus (or any other, for that matter) during play, or de-installing it entirely. The latter however, is kind of dangerous ;]

GhostStartService...
I have no idea what this is part of (Norton Ghost?) - but I'm sure it needn't be running in the background all the time...

InCD
A virtual CD drive? Are you sure it's non-resource hogging? I prefer using Virtual DAEMON for that, but perhaps it's not the kind of program I think it is..

ZLCLIENT
What's this? Don't recognize it at all..
Same goes for:

NOPDB
SLEE401

All I know is that my services and tasks list is probably 1/8th the size of yours, at any given time - wouldn't surprise me if the background apps caused the trouble ;]

I'm not surpised VQ3 runs without trouble. Gen just uses that much more memory/resources. Remember that it's both ALL that is VQ3 AND the stuff we've added for four more classes :]
« Last Edit: 2004-08-09, 16:28 by Tabun » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #79 on: 2004-08-09, 16:32 »

I will trim the list and see.

ZL is zonealarm
Ghost is norton ghost
INcd is rewriteable software for nero.

thanks Tab

(later by 30 min)

SORTED! I dropped the texture detail to med and the detail to med and then its runs like a bute. (that means very well). I even did a restart with all background progs on, and 1024x768 and 5 Bots. good FPS etc ad no locks or crashes. This must be textures thing. I'll now try on my M.E. comp.

(later)

works on my 800 mgz with voodoo 5, 640 ram with bots and med texture detail.

love the HUDS
« Last Edit: 2004-08-09, 17:06 by shambler » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: