2024-04-20, 04:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Earth Gat's (err)  (Read 16658 times)
GodHead

« on: 2003-02-18, 22:03 »

Why do the earth class' Gatling Guns have lasers on them?  It doesn't seem quite fitting to me.
Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #1 on: 2003-02-18, 22:11 »

There's laser sights on the gats?  Tight.
« Last Edit: 2003-02-18, 22:12 by Twilight » Logged
MoJoJoJoe

« Reply #2 on: 2003-02-18, 23:43 »

Seriously why is there laser sights. The gats are of course from wolf wich takes place  in WWII and  they didnt have laser sights back then.  and i see new smilies yay.

DO NOT ABUSE THE SMILEYS
« Last Edit: 2003-02-19, 05:14 by ConfusedUs » Logged
pepe

Shambler

« Reply #3 on: 2003-02-19, 00:54 »

[rant]
well the mortar isnt from back then and the sniper rifle is a modern sniper rifle

jesus people allow for some discrepancies if you want ww2 authenticy go play ww2 or dod o mohaa wichever fits the bill best

the earth arsenal isnt all from ww2 its inspired by wolf3d and not true to wolf3d that would be imbalanced (no jumping not looking up down and only 5 weapons) so please why do you question things like this?

even if they were ww2 gats whats to say he didnt steal the laser sight from the arena dudes shotgun when he killed him?

and lastly and think about this hard now: does it really i mean really matter? well does it?

[rant/i]
Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #4 on: 2003-02-19, 00:56 »

/cg_drawgun 0 if it really offends you.  Or make your own skin.  Plenty of options for the enterprising soul I'm sure you are.

Also, I do believe that it was established some time ago that you don't have any room to talk about this game mojo, since you obviously have no idea how to play.  Why don't you go back to your Minesweeper, I'm sure it still loves you.
« Last Edit: 2003-02-19, 00:58 by Twilight » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-02-19, 01:23 »

At first (back while I was skinning it) I kind of wondered what the hell laser sights were doing on such a spammy weapon as the gatling gun. Later, my 6th sense kicked in (it has that delay, you know). The laser gives it that distinction a weapon as bland as a chaingun needs. Although it doesn't make much sense, it looks pretty neat (and carrying/using 2 gats at the same time doesn't make a whole lot of sense either Slipgate - Wink) - and it makes it stand out.
The gatling gun is THE earth weapon. With its akimbo firing availability, it makes earth the deadliest spammer on the battlefield. The laser only helps you to identify the weapon, as well as give it that personal touch ;]

Don't try to disect Gen the realistic-mod type way - we're all for fantasy!

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #6 on: 2003-02-19, 01:30 »

With as rarely as you get out, you'd have to be.

Oh My F'ing Gawd
« Last Edit: 2003-02-19, 01:30 by Twilight » Logged
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2003-02-19, 01:36 »

take your offensive posts to the CC forum, you daylight-shunning-gamer, you :]

Edit: I mean it  Twi. If you want to play games and piss me off for a lark, you don't hear me complain - but DON'T do it on the board - use IRC.
« Last Edit: 2003-02-19, 12:07 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #8 on: 2003-02-19, 02:15 »

You're just pissed you left yourself that wide open.  Don't hate.

And it's a CONDITION dammit, the doctor says too much sun is a no-no.
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #9 on: 2003-02-19, 02:49 »

actually, i beleive earth is based on all 20th century weaponry, putting the mortar and sniper rifle into his category, seeing how doom is next, youd assume that doom is  30th centuryish, and so on for slip, stroggos, and arena.. theyre all about 100 years apart give or take a few decades..
finite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-02-19, 03:08 »

I always thought it was somewhat of a homage to the Q3 shotgun, a parody even. I mean, come on, a laser sight on a shotgun? Double barreled no less. Unless you're using slugs or something, you don't exactly need the accuracy of a laser to hit something with shot. Slipgate - Wink
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-02-19, 05:18 »

There was a similar argument when Ren first put out a gat model with a laser sight. After a buncha arguing we decided that it was just too nifty to leave out. It was more for the laughs than anything. Slipgate - Wink
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #12 on: 2003-02-19, 05:35 »

Quote from: finite
I always thought it was somewhat of a homage to the Q3 shotgun, a parody even
Me too
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2003-02-19, 06:14 »

We all decided that it looked Damn Cool™, and decided to keep it.  As for laser sights on shotguns, why do SWAT teams put lasers on tactical shotties then?  Actually a "real" laser sight on a gat would make perfect sense in real life since a mounted gatling gun is actually an extremely accurate weapon.  It's only because the thing is hefted that it sprays in Gen.  Notice that carrying two makes you spray more?  The theory behind the Earth weapons (my personal take on this anyway, based loosely on the Gen story Lee started) is that that Sarge picked up various weapons along the way between the WWII era and the Doom era when the Vadrigar finally took him.  He could have slapped some lasers on it, or maybe the Vadrigar in bringing the weapons into the Arena decided they wanted to (just like the Q3 shotty).  The Earth mortar was a damned effective infantry weapon in the post-modern but pre-doom era that was replaced by the Doom rocket launcher when the need arose in the Space Marine Corps for a personal/mounted rocket launcher that could work in vacuum at zero G without causing undue thrust against the shooter.  Notice the massive muzzle brake at the end and the two top holes for escaping gas on the barrel of the Doom launcher?  And you thought it was just for decoration, hehe.  The mortar visibly recoils in the game.  It's great for groundwork, but aweful for a spacewalk.  The rifle was picked up from the present day, the gats, MP-40, and luger from WWII.  The napalm launcher is also post-modern pre-Doom.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2003-02-19, 12:41 »

let me explain it pho .
its hard to aim with 2 gats .because you cant line them up with your eye.
this way it would be inpossible even if you could carrie 2 of them to aim with it .
so for better aim they put a laser on each gat. this way blaze could see where he is pointing those 2 nifty things to .
if he wouldnt have those 2 things. he could shoot completely of target Slipgate - Smile
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #15 on: 2003-02-19, 12:48 »

you could shoot completely off target with any weapons, they dont all have laser sights though.

think about it, you dont have crosshairs imprinted on your eyes in reallife.
Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #16 on: 2003-02-19, 13:20 »

Well YOU don't.  Some of us are just  :hat:  like that.
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #17 on: 2003-02-20, 00:22 »

i just go in with dual gats shootin..hopein for a frag  Sipgate - Evil
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #18 on: 2003-02-20, 13:45 »

Quote from: Daedalus
you could shoot completely off target with any weapons, they dont all have laser sights though.

think about it, you dont have crosshairs imprinted on your eyes in reallife.
I DO!!!
pepe

Shambler

« Reply #19 on: 2003-02-20, 14:33 »

you could use a reddot sight like aimpoint per example thats kinda like having a crosshair
it doesnt magnify put makes for easier target acusition(spell?) then the standard iron sights

or use the zoom wich equals a telescopic sight  Slipgate - Tongue

either way you cat hit anything while shooting from the hip anyway so this is a rather stupid argument

attempts have failed to make a man-held gattling gun simply because it gets to heavy its not practical but it looks cool
thats why you see it in movies like predator and terminator 2

i dont like theese:  "-that isnt very realistic, is it?" remarks thats starting to pop up
generations isnt a realistic mod and you cant demand:
authencicy or realism

its make belive
« Last Edit: 2003-02-20, 14:34 by pepe » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: