2024-04-18, 23:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Human rights? (Europe TRULY paves the way...)  (Read 9220 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2004-03-19, 19:19 »

The case for Terri Schiavo is not as simple as that Devlar.  I know a bit of background about this case, and a good friend of mine has been following it for a decade now.  There is evidence that the husband physically abused Terri and should actually be charged with attempted murder, but the doctor currently in his employment has done his best to bury the medical facts.  There's a lot more to it than even that.  If you want to learn more about this case then I invite you to visit http://www.terrisfight.org and see what the Schindler family has been going through and just what kind of man Mr. Schiavo really is.  It's not as simple as the government trampling on someone's legal rights here.  In this case it's just the opposite.  It's an attempt to STOP a precedent from being set like in the UK and PROTECT the rights of someone who in this case cannot fight for herself.  Law in the US tends to be set two ways - legislation, and legal precedent determined by court cases.  Basically if Terri loses this fight then there is legal precedent to pull the plug on tens of thousands of people in cases where the will of the person is not so clear.

As for the hippocratic oath, it's about as good as any promise made when large sums of money are at stake.  Doctors are businessmen, and they are in business to make money, just like any other businessman.  Some care about their patients, some do not.  You'd be better off trusting your health to a veterinarian.  They tend to be more competant and compassionate in this day, something I'm quite grateful for.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #21 on: 2004-03-19, 21:45 »

Well that does change my opinion on it, even if it is a website for her and I'm well aware that they are skewing the bias toward them.

What I find problematic in all of this is that when you have these types of disputes you get one side of greaving family member who are desparately clinging to the life of their family member and then you get the spouse who wants to let them go (irregardless of which one has their best wishes in mind, although I would usually side with the spouse since you tend to live in the same house as them, and opinions change, although the Terri Schavio case tends to have some extra variables). The problem with these situations is that people automatically demonize the those who want to let the relative die, even if that is actually the injured person's view. If a person wants to die they should have the right to that choice.

The only real problem with all of this that I can see is Triage. Its kind of like Oobey's trainyard killing example.
There is 1 magical life saving machine in the hospital, currently a long term patient who has a 1 in 1000 chance of recovery has been on this machine for the past month, now a new patient comes in who has a 90 in 100 chance of survival when being hooked up to this machine.
Does a doctor not have an ethical reponsibility to save a person who he is sure he can save with this treatment?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: