2024-04-28, 15:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slipgate vs Doom: Read me! (I said read me!)  (Read 33215 times)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #80 on: 2004-05-29, 12:43 »

Well spoken. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #81 on: 2004-05-30, 09:20 »

Originally, I prefered Doom, because Doom was my first FPS, a classic, but lately I find myself leaning toward Strogg and Earth. I like Doom's single-shotty, melee weapons, pistol, and his chaingun, but when I use the rockets and plasma gun, I just feel like I'm spamming. Since these two are his heavy hitters, this stales his play a bit for me.

I like strogg because it has the widest variety of weapons, by far. This leads to the most variation and the most fun, regardless of whether I'm winning or losing. If I don't want to snipe people with the rail, I can challenge myself with his slow-ass rockets, or go for tricky kills with hand grenades. There is no weapon type that strogg doesn't have, other than melee (my only complaint). Stroggs weapons tend to be the most exagerated and most true to their own weapon type. The strogg super shotgun is a very shotgun-ish shotgun; the spread is huge. The explosives are very explosive; wide blast radius and very damaging. The chaingun winds up to an EXTREME ROF. The rail gun is the original, with huge damage and huge reload time. The BFG is like Doom's but even bigger. The shotgun and MG are nice spawn weapons and backups, and when you run out of shells and mags, it nice to be always have a blaster to finish the job, if you're desperate enough. With Strogg, you have a gift for every occasion.

I also like earth because it has some of the most unique weapons. The sniper rifle is the only long range weapon in the game that actually allows you to remain hidden, plus you can do ricochets. The mortar is even faster than the slippy RL, allowing for insta-hits if you aim right, and you can arc over stiarcases and ramps for out-of-sight, under-cover kills. The flame thrower lets you damage your enemy without actually shooting them (once they catch fire), is the ultimate chase deterent, and prevents the enemy from escaping with only a thread of life left. The hand grenades are just like strogg's but it's harder to see them coming. The gats are the ultimate clean up weapon. Unique=fun.

I would like to get better with slipgate some time just because of the potential for weapon combos and insta-switching, plus air control, which are pretty unique features, but rocke-whoring isn't a big insterest of mine, plus whenever I try to strafe jump with slippy I invariably end up in the lava.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-30, 09:32 by Gnam » Logged
JLMode

Spectre

« Reply #82 on: 2004-05-31, 16:08 »

When the hell are ya guys planning the release for .99e??? hope soon; and as it has been pointed out, the community will really like to have the sounds for each item integrated, and speaking by myself, I'll like to see the napalm launcher removed and bring back the old one, or make a new one, it looks way to modern for being WWII, and by the way, does Tabun's avatar make him look like Gordon Freeman or it's just me????? Slipgate - Shifty
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #83 on: 2004-05-31, 16:15 »

First of all, Tabun has already spoken about Earth. Earth is based on Wolf3D, NOT on WWII. Secondly, yes, Tabun looks a lot like Freeman. Slipgate - Ninja

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #84 on: 2004-05-31, 17:39 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] First of all, Tabun has already spoken about Earth. Earth is based on Wolf3D, NOT on WWII. Secondly, yes, Tabun looks a lot like Freeman. Slipgate - Ninja
 Slipgate - Off Topic *Sigh* And there I was deliberately holding off on the Half-Life gags ...  Slipgate - Roll Eyes

Anyway, Mecha, granted that Doom never relly had a true 3d engine, but you should give JDOOM a blast to see where the Doom class in Gen is coming from.

I like the Doom class because I like Doom. The only reason there has been so much Slippy bashing is because, as I said before, the fans of said class threw down the gauntlet.

I actually like Slippy too, particularly on maps with lots of water and an invul ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #85 on: 2004-05-31, 18:33 »

Slipgate - Off Topic Finnaly, someone who knows what JDOOM is!!!
« Last Edit: 2004-05-31, 18:48 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #86 on: 2004-05-31, 19:31 »

The Napalm Launcher stays, along with the Sniper Rifle and everything else we've busted our buns making.  Some of the functionality of the flamer might change a bit between now and 1.0 due to the possibility of me pulling off a very fancy code trick, but the basic nature of the weapon is not going to change.  I will say no more on this matter.

99e will be done "when it's done".  There's a reason I don't set deadlines.  First, bugs show up whenever they want and need fixing.  Second, this stuff takes time, and some of the stuff I'm doing right now is VERY difficult and time consuming.  Third, I DO have a life outside of the mod.  So does Tabun, ConfusedUs, Warden, LeeMon, and everyone else who's on this team.  Nobody's paying us to do this, so it's fend for ourselves and make do with what we can when we can.  I'm not going to sit here and poor-mouth or boohoo, every modder has the same story.  However I can assure you that if money and time were not objects we'd certainly work to get things done faster.  Still, our codebase is 3X bigger than normal Q3 as it is, and we're always finding ways to optimize/improve on/just plain do it better along the way.  Lastly, stuff happens.  Our first release got delayed over a month due to a hard drive crash - mine.  Our second release was plagued by some last minute bugs, and our third release we had hosting problems that delayed it an hour on the VERY DAY we were releasing it.  We're doing everything we can since then to make sure we don't go spouting off release dates unless we're 100% sure we're ready so that history doesn't repeat itself a fourth time.  I do not like to disappoint people by not coming through when we say we're going to.

At the end of the day we have a choice:  Do it fast just to get it out the door, or do it RIGHT and give you the best damned gameplay experience we can.  The better choice is pretty obvious, that is, unless you like games that crash your computer and freak out every time you load them.

Now back on topic please.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #87 on: 2004-05-31, 19:41 »

if i have an opportunity to play with you guys, then DooM I shall be. Slippy? I don't think so!

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #88 on: 2004-05-31, 19:43 »

But that doesn't mean that i'll be DooM forever. I'm still loyal to Strogg and Earth!!! Slipgate - Grin

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #89 on: 2004-05-31, 20:43 »

There's one thing here, on this very board, that says it all...
Slipgate - Ownage

And if you didn't see that one coming, then... well, there's not much to say... Q1, for, life!
HeadBanging

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #90 on: 2004-05-31, 22:24 »

See the gordon freeman thread for details on my alterego.

Earth is not based on a WWII specific character. It's loosely based on Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Caste Wolfenstein and My Little Pony.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #91 on: 2004-06-24, 00:57 »

Quote from: Tabun
Earth is not based on a WWII specific character. It's loosely based on Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Caste Wolfenstein and My Little Pony.
 Slipgate - Off Topic Funny you should mention that ...

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/skins...ll/b-doll.shtml

Any Barbie fans out there? Slipgate - Smile~

I'm never gonna look at the Earth class the same way again.

Meanwhile back at the topic, let me just say that I've taken Arena players down with my bare hands (hope somebody got a shot of that on Saturday night), so Slippy shouldn't be too much trouble. Big Gun

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #92 on: 2004-06-24, 02:32 »

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

/me hides
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #93 on: 2004-06-24, 14:55 »

Bah, all those classes are NOTHING against the big-boned Master-Class:

The Sumo Gladiator.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #94 on: 2004-08-09, 01:13 »

Right, we're pretty much at the mouth of 99e, so let's reignite a dead horse.

WHEN IS THIS MATCHUP GONNA HAPPEN??

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #95 on: 2004-08-09, 01:27 »

Soon. It'll be one of the first custom games.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #96 on: 2004-08-09, 01:32 »

Sweet!

(downloading right now!)

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #97 on: 2004-08-09, 07:58 »

me too. Slipgate - Ownage
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #98 on: 2004-08-10, 00:59 »

I have about 10 more days before I can even consider playing on a semi-daily basis again.

who's up for CTF?!?  Thumbs up!

Slipgate - Ownage
Vortmax

« Reply #99 on: 2004-08-10, 17:36 »

QBALL!
 Thumbs up!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: