2024-04-28, 21:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CTF Night Afterthoughts  (Read 4717 times)
mecha

Shambler

« on: 2004-04-01, 12:01 »

Last night's CTF game went over well and not-so-well, however the not-so-wells were just superficial.

First off, the choosing of the teams on IRC proved to be a success. The teams were relatively balanced, leading to quite a few stalemates, but the red team comprised of Tekhead, Punisher, l4mby and death_stalker proved to be the winners in the end. Blue contained CptWinky, mecha, Kain-Xavier and Ryuenjin. I felt the teams were somewhat unbalanced in the way that Ryu was lagging pretty bad and that Punisher was wasted on red because I've known him for many years to be a flag carrier, not a defender. That's just my 2 cents however, take it or leave it.

The lack of techs became readilly apparent almost immediately. There was no way that either side could try and regain control on a couple of maps because we just didn't have the powerups available. Whine about a team controlling every tech all you want -- tonight could've been way more exciting with the addition of the techs. However, the team balance in itself provided for a lot of excitement. The games were basically like see-saws going back and forth.

Lack of advertising, which is my own fault, is the reason behind why there were no whiteshirts on the server. I would've made the posts earlier today but some college career choices were more important at the time, sorry. I should be getting a PlanetQuake e-mail account soon, so I'll be pimping on PQ and eventually ShackNews while CptWinky will stick to Something Awful. I'm hoping the lack of advertising was responsible and not our own fault for shunning players away. Slipgate - Sad

I assure you the operation will tighten up more as I gain a little bit more experience here. IMO, I say we stick with the same basic teams, but trade up Punisher and Ryuenjin because Blue team basically had 3 defenders and 1 attacker the entire time while Red had 1 defender and 3 attackers since l4mby wanted to go for the flag constantly and Punisher wanted to break free and do a little more attacking outside the base. It was already stated up front that Kain and I would be defending. I really wish Lilazzkicker and Xypher would've jumped in, but I guess that was inevitable.

Any other ideas...? I hope we can boost attendance up next Wednesday, since it's looking like Monday's gonna be a DM night. Slipgate - Smile
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-01, 12:25 »

Next week, I'll be there. I felt like doing some art & getting some sleep, yesterday ;]

On the announcements: Don't forget that, at present, 9 CET is 4 hours before the US games, which means you'll have to be even earlier to pimp those. CTF games will never be crowded on this continent, but you never can tell ;]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-01, 15:20 »

And you don't need a PQ Email account to pimp on PQ. Slipgate - Wink
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-01, 18:44 »

Hey - I'm on British Summer Time now! does that mean Dae and I are further away from the Us games? I think it must. Slipgate - Laugh
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-01, 19:50 »

Yea you have to add an extra hour this week..think the US will change to summer time this weekend.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-01, 20:22 »

When the playing field is even techs do add a fun imbalance to the game. However in Generations, there will always be various and complex imbalances in many different situations. Amplifying these imbalances with techs can kill gameplay, since certain Generations classes can me much more efficent with techs than others. For example: it's very difficult to get past an Earth or Slipgate defender with the double damage tech. It's also hard to take down a fully-loaded flag carrier who has the shield tech, especially if they were to be Strogg or Slipgate and/or have a beserker pack/medikit ready. Plus since good players tend to hold onto them for longer periods of time, the game's final score will be determined almost solely on a few individuals rather than the whole team making an effort. IMO, that's not the way team games should be played out.

Gen without runes seems to have enough interesting action afterall Slipgate - Smile
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-01, 21:00 »

Ah yes. Twas a lot of fun. And mecha, I always go after the flag, es my job. ;p

If the teams are as balanced as they were last night, I dunno, maybe we could try adding the techs in. It was pretty much back and forth the whole night, some maps taking a long time for either team to get the flag. That for me made it a ton of fun. Slipgate - Laugh

And I agree w/ tek on the game being fun w/o the techs. Slipgate - Laugh
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-03, 00:38 »

Always keep in mind that CTF techs are a DMFLAG, which means they are voteable.

/callvote dmflags 10304 will enable techs + weapon grapple.
/callvote dmflags 8256 will disable techs but keep in the grapple.
/callvote dmflags 2112 will disable grapple but keep the techs.

That is, assuming enough "yes" votes.

It's your game.  Play it however you all want to. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-03, 09:29 »

I agree with l4mby.The match was a blast w/o the techs,but a couple wouldn't of hurt either.I.E.shield&health kits.Although we'd more than likely run into another unbalancing issue.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: