2024-03-29, 02:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Map Progression Thread (What do you have brewing?)  (Read 27162 times)
Devlar

Makron

« on: 2003-01-23, 02:11 »

Well the other forum is over so might as well start this board in this way, since i can't see of anything more fitting

So what is everyone working on?

I still have yet to release my final version of The Slipgate Ediface (Q1E1M1) and a map without a name at the momment done in an egyptian theme (D1E4M3)
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2003-01-23, 06:16 »

At the moment I have three maps in the works.

I have a Wolfenstein themed map by the name of Propaganda Campaign, which was shown a bit in the previous Off-Topic thread. I don't have a lot done on it because I've been spending most of my time on details(and custom textures). But progress has haulted due to the lack of a decent lay out, which is something I obviously should have had planned before hand.

I also have an EXTREAMLY rough version of End from Quake 1. It's been sitting on my hard drive for quite some time and I plan on finsihing when I feel in the mood for that type of atmosphere.

Last but not least I have a few little parts of The Final Showdown, from Quake II, done. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with it since I want it to stand out a bit...

I doubt I'm going to get anything done until I do something with Propaganda Campaign. And I doubt I'll ever do anything outside of remakes again also (creating lay outs is WAY to hard for my taste).
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #2 on: 2003-01-23, 06:43 »

hmmm... what would you guys think of me trying to remake a BF1942 map as an earth-themed map for generations?  i was thinking something along the lines of Berlin, where the action is close in and there are lots of places to run around...
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #3 on: 2003-01-24, 03:25 »

Battlefield 1942's maps are WAY to big for Quake 3... Hell, I thought they were to big for Battlield 1942, but that doesn't really matter seeing as the only thing I found fun about the game was sniping and running people over with the jeep Slipgate - Wink

I'd like to see a Quake map along the lines of a Battlefield 1942 map though. Something like Berlin or Stalingrad. I like the feeling those war-torn cities give off.
« Last Edit: 2003-01-24, 03:26 by dev/null » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #4 on: 2003-01-24, 04:29 »

I'd prefer to see a map that could actually capture the old Wolf3d feeling without being .....flat
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #5 on: 2003-01-24, 04:43 »

But that's impossible Devlar, because the Wolfenstein3D feeling is that of flatness Slipgate - Smile
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #6 on: 2003-01-24, 04:55 »

Anyone doing Ohama Beach?

And what about CTF maps? Anyone doing them?
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2003-01-24, 05:07 »

Dev/null I might actually try it, i guess its all in the textures, make something that is over the top with old graphics but still make it not flat. You know like blue bricks, hitler paintings, bars with skeletons. I might give it a shot after i'm done the 2 i have in progress, but if i start it now i'll never finnish what i have going

Which CTF maps do you have in mind?
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #8 on: 2003-01-24, 05:47 »

"Which CTF maps do you have in mind?"

Is this question for me, or to dev/null?

Anyhow, CTF maps... Ohama Beach (Earth themed)?

And then, maybe a map with 2 fortresses, and it's very far away between them, so that there's a lot of hiding place, a lots of ways to enter the fortress, and lots of sniping spots? And also with bunkers/towers to guard the fortress?
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #9 on: 2003-01-24, 05:57 »

Here are some screenies of my work in progress
http://devlar.topcities.com/devsever.htm

The question was directed at you
Ohama beach? Isn't that a RTCW map?
You could always download a copy of 2fort5, there are tons of conversions of that map from TF
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #10 on: 2003-01-24, 06:08 »

Hey dev(lar) would you mind sizing that sig down a bit? It's the biggest one on the boads. Just take it down to maybe 75% of its current size.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2003-01-24, 06:40 by OoBeY » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #11 on: 2003-01-24, 06:23 »

I'll assume that last post was directed towards Devlar since his signature's bigger than mine Slipgate - Tongue
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #12 on: 2003-01-24, 06:58 »

There we go, took me a while to remember the code

Any comment on the screens?
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #13 on: 2003-01-24, 07:28 »

Sir, I am going to kill you and eat your brains in the hopes that I might be able to get some of your mad mapping skills. Well done.
« Last Edit: 2003-01-24, 07:30 by OoBeY » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #14 on: 2003-01-24, 07:44 »

Errr.... Thanks as long as that isn't sarcasm cause i know this thing has its faults, oh and nice pipboy, that game is a lost classic

Hopefully I'll be able to make a playable copy in a week, so much texturing.....
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #15 on: 2003-01-24, 07:57 »

Nah, no sarcasm. Although to be honest in the lower pictures things look a tad squarish, but like I hinted to, I have 0 mapping talent, so really I'm in not much of a position to do anything but wish I could do that myself.

And as for pipboy, glad someone noticed, and knew the reference Slipgate - Smile
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #16 on: 2003-01-24, 08:07 »

I have a large pipboy on my wall, honestly it was the best RPG made for the PC, I really hope they make another one

Yeah, I need to figure out how to cover the edges of the map (where the sky connects with the walls), since in the original doom map they did it like that, i need to find something a little bit more creative and a little less... square possibly something more egyptian
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #17 on: 2003-01-24, 08:11 »

[hijack]
you know they DID make a sequel to fallout, right?
[/hijack]

Yeah, and as for the squareness, the eqyptians wern't exactly known for rounding their corners, were they? Slipgate - Smile
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #18 on: 2003-01-24, 08:26 »

Yes Fallout 2 was a bit better than the original, the lack of the bloody time limit (although Fallout 1 forced you to play it over and over again). Fallout Tactics was nothing more than XCom, athough it came to a very amusing conclusion

Yeah, I know they weren't but they were fans of detail, so I still need the detail, might as well add curves so show how the SHOULD have done it
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #19 on: 2003-01-24, 11:38 »

Devlar, this map looks very familiar to me... from Doom, right? If it's Doom, why does it look so "Egyptian"??

As for the Ohama Beach, I think Ohama Beach is best for Earth's theme in CTF... and, was there a Ohama Beach map in RTCW??? I didn't know...

And also, the fortress thing... we could do different ones, right?

You might also try doing CTF maps that are themed to each class; and the deathmatch maps should be the remake ones from the original maps.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: