2024-03-29, 12:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Map Progression Thread (What do you have brewing?)  (Read 27163 times)
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #20 on: 2003-01-24, 16:28 »

Devlar: it looks nice; I recognized it which isn't always the case with conversions Slipgate - Wink
Only nitpicky thing I saw was the use of blue flames - they have a blue aura but are casting yellow spots on the walls.  I would expect to have more "blue" light in a room lit with nothing more than blue flames.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #21 on: 2003-01-24, 17:25 »

I was more trying to give off the doom feeling of having colored lights but no colored light, plus blue lighting makes it look like a technocolored freak show :S

As for the egyptian theme, that was me, thinking different, since the original was wood, i needed something that looked relatively... brown, so i thought i'd try Sock's Egyptian Texture pack. I personally think it fits.

Where do I download this Ohama Beach map? And shouldn't it be Omaha? or is my history forgotten?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #22 on: 2003-01-24, 17:43 »

I don't know about the map, but the place ws Omaha.
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #23 on: 2003-01-24, 18:38 »

Nice Map dev, looks really good.

Im working on Barrels O' Fun (D2M23) and The Crusher (D2M06)
Pretty much finished d2m23, and i have a long way to go on crusher.

Idea: How about a map thats like ut_rommel for earth themed? it just kicks ass... Slipgate - Smile
BTW, i didnt say EXACTLY like Rommel, just like it.
Old War-torn cities = 0wn4g3

[edit] Dev: get RtCW and play the Omaha Beach Objective map, its v. kewl
Omaha would make for a great Earth map
Also, maybe something like the first map in MoH:AA
« Last Edit: 2003-01-24, 18:45 by Daedalus » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #24 on: 2003-01-24, 21:23 »

I own RTCW, but I never played the Multiplayer maps (I don't play any multiplayer online lately) Is this a SP or a MP map, I'll find it when I get home and check it out. I think I know what you are talking about though, the one with the bunkers built into the beach with the large machine guns?
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #25 on: 2003-01-24, 22:27 »

You're probably thinking of Beach Invasion Devlar... It seems to be the only map everyone knows (including me, hehe). Although that could make an interest basis for an earth map Slipgate - Smile

Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #26 on: 2003-01-24, 22:50 »

the actual name of the map was mp_beach and yeh dev, its that one Slipgate - Smile

MoH:AA has a map like that as well, called Omaha Beach
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2003-01-25, 00:29 »

Looking good Devlar the egyptian texture makes the lvl clean and nice.

Welll my own maps is going quite slowley for the momment, tho im almost finnished req1e1m5 might release it some time this month, e3m1 still have lot's of work todo.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #28 on: 2003-01-25, 03:22 »

I've been exploring new faster ways of mapping, that's why so far Sever the Wicked has only taken 2 weeks since Doom maps are SUPER easy to speedmap

Who made the other Gloom Keep remake on these boards?

EDIT - I just checked out the Beach Assault map, it wouldn't make a good ctf or a good DM map, you'd have to build objectives into the level which i don't think you can do at the moment with generations
« Last Edit: 2003-01-25, 03:27 by Devlar » Logged
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #29 on: 2003-01-25, 04:51 »

Devlar, Beach Assault map is good for CTF...
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #30 on: 2003-01-25, 11:32 »

you dont have to copy it exactly dev... just improvise on it

eg. if blues flag were in the fortress and reds were out on the shoreline, make the reds harder to get
i dont know how you would do this, everyone has their own ideas... just mess about with it
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #31 on: 2003-01-25, 13:48 »

I liked assault from rtcw more for ctf Slipgate - Sad

also  half life :oposing force CTF had some very nice maps .
(one was 2 bases set in a grand canyon setting )

anyway if pho is gonna code TA entities in it its maybe better that you make the map also playable for TA with 1 flag tf and harvester .
(hmmmm generations harvester )
« Last Edit: 2003-01-25, 15:32 by Dicion » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #32 on: 2003-01-26, 02:01 »

I donno, I've never actually made a CTF map, and I doubt I'd start with something as difficult to balance (without turrets, cause there are not turrets in gen) as a Beach Assault map.
In fact I don't really know what I'm going to do after Sever the Wicked. I might write a tut on how incredibly easy it is to make a Doom map Slipgate - Grin with a screenshot
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #33 on: 2003-01-27, 05:25 »

"you dont have to copy it exactly dev... just improvise on it

eg. if blues flag were in the fortress and reds were out on the shoreline, make the reds harder to get
i dont know how you would do this, everyone has their own ideas... just mess about with it"

Daed: I agree! Make the blue flag in the fortress harder to get... and has traps. But, however, the red flag will be in a big ship (add a ship model), and also some small Higgins boats (is it higgins boat?) beside the ship, as the player's spawnpoint... and is also harder to get. Remember to put traps on both sides.

I can give you more ideas if you want. Slipgate - Smile
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #34 on: 2003-01-27, 20:46 »

Well as far as i know im the only one who made a gloom keep remake on this boards Slipgate - Smile
Anyway i've finnished item layout on req1e3m1 today so far everythings good.. im gonna test bots tomorrow but i fear there will be some issues... bots + water = baaad.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #35 on: 2003-01-28, 04:45 »

Yeah botcode was rather stupid as far as water is concerned?

Is this the same gloom keep I saw when I finnished my first map approximately 10 months ago?

EDIT: http://www.planetquake.com/nunuk/geocomp2mapmacho.htm
Something of interest to people who try to make creative conversions. Although I will attest to the fact that posting a remake or even something inspired by a map on the Quake3World forum requires a flame retardant flak jacket and a really thick helmet. Critism is bad Slipgate - Laugh especially when its based on the idea that all things have to be "original". Phhh So much for using this as a tool to learn to map better.

"First things , it is just a shame that the author is claiming this is some DM4 inspired/remake because the map has loads of cool architecture and does not need to be labelled a remake. " - Sock (who coincidencially created the fine egyptian theme i'm using for my Sever the Wicked Map, and also happens to be one of the reasons i started mapping in the first place, the guy has amazing skills)
« Last Edit: 2003-01-28, 11:20 by Devlar » Logged
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #36 on: 2003-01-29, 00:16 »

not really cuz i made lot's of changes on it.. dunno when i'll release it got lot's of other things to do than mapping nowdays Slipgate - Sad
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #37 on: 2003-01-29, 03:22 »

Yeah I know the feeling, University is a serious time killer. Its a damned good thing that I at least like going

EDIT - New pictures up
http://devlar.topcities.com/devsever.htm
« Last Edit: 2003-01-29, 07:53 by Devlar » Logged
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #38 on: 2003-01-29, 07:43 »

Lil showed me and twi the easter egg in Abandoned Base..kick ass!@!
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #39 on: 2003-01-29, 11:19 »

Dev: Hoooh! Nice! Although it's Egypt-themed, but it's still nice... perhaps you could add some Wirehead words and logos as the banners in the map? So that it'll look more like battling in Generations Arena...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: