2024-04-29, 08:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite GenArena weapon?  (Read 14719 times)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #20 on: 2004-04-15, 23:30 »

So many favorites, so few choices..

I'd have to go with:

1 - Zerked Fist: It's the personal touch, really...

2 - Mortar: BOOM! from ANYWHERE Sipgate - Evil

3 - Doom SSG: Nothin says lovin like the greasy remains of whoever stands between this puppy and a wall.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #21 on: 2004-04-16, 01:06 »

1. DUAL GATS!!! The ULTIMATE ballistic bloodbath!

2. Berserked Fists: Quick smack in the chops, just to piss the other guy off!

3. Earth Hand Grenades: Perfect for tripping up that nasty BFG-wielding Arena player  Sipgate - Evil

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2004-04-16, 21:31 »

Quote from: scalliano
3. Earth Hand Grenades: Perfect for tripping up that nasty BFG-wielding Arena player  Sipgate - Evil
I think that chainsawing the Arena BFG whore on Entryway was the best kill I ever got. Slipgate - Wink
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2004-04-16, 22:56 »

nicest kill ever was
when some strange dude
came running into me in the sewers of dunwich as slipgate with a rocketlauncher and blew a rocket at me from close killing him 2 .
but he got pissed at me after I said " lol "
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #24 on: 2004-04-17, 06:49 »

The Strogg Railgun. While it doesn't have the bouce-back of the Earth Sniper Rifle, it has no delay and is a bit easier to use at incredibly long range. I have gotten used to the Earth SR as of late, so my opinion on which is better may change over time. Doubt it though  Slipgate - Smile~

The Slipgate's Super Nailgun has also grown on me, and i'm sure i'll love it even more in the next version.
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #25 on: 2004-04-18, 05:06 »

my favorite weapon would prollie be either the plasma rifle or the shotgun..just personal favorites from doom2
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #26 on: 2004-04-18, 07:38 »

Favorite weapons huh?
    1.DooMers Double barrel shotgun-death to he who comes to close.
    2.DooMers Rocket launcher-AKA clacker-just a deadly weapon in general
    3.Chainsaw-the sound of it finding its mark is enough to make you jump if you didn't see it coming.Not to mention chainsaw "jousts"thats a riot in itself.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #27 on: 2004-04-18, 08:24 »

I like Doom's single-barrel shotgun a lot. It's deffinitely the best single-barrel in the game (not that there's a lot of competition in that area). Pretty powerfull as a midrange weapon, as double barrels miss much a lot at that range and take longer to reload; works really well on Q3DM4. Plus, I added the sound effect from Doom64, which makes it very satisfying.

The Doom pistol is actually a very reliable finisher because it's so accurate. Just now Grunt had quad and blasted Bitterman with his SSG, somehow Bitterman survived, but before Grunt could finish him off I capped him with my pistol, 1 shot kill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2004-04-18, 13:32 »

I really prefer Strogg's single barrel shotty, if we're comparing those. Feels more solid, has a more rounded spread and does plenty of damage. It also sounds better, and I like the model & Strogg style better aswell.. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #29 on: 2004-04-18, 15:46 »

I like the Doom 12 gauge too.  It does the most damage of any single shotgun and is lethal on open ground at medium ranges.  I need to reposition the model for first person.  That might improve the looks a bit there Tab, and actually the Strogg single barrel shotgun is currently using the default Quake 3 shotgun sound at present.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #30 on: 2004-04-18, 19:51 »

Heh, actually, because I'm using a different sound effect for the Doom shotgun, I put the Gen Doom shotgun sound on the Strogg shotgun. If you listen to the original sound from Q2, they're actually very similar.

I used to like the Strogg shotgun, but lately I've felt it to be rather weak. I have yet to go on killing sprees with it like I have with the Doom shotgun. I used to use it a lot in Q2 though; I always had trouble getting to the high-tier weapons, so when people attacked me with railguns I would just kill them with shotguns and machineguns!   Slipgate - Smile~

I agree the Doom shottie looks do seem to be missing something right now. I think Pho's right, the 1st person positioning could be improved. I think if it was higher up and then pointed a little more flat, it would look better.
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #31 on: 2004-04-19, 08:26 »

Definately.. the Shotgun in doom was.... like Flat-topped... it gave a feel... plus ya know, the cocking of it was cool too...

1) Slippy RL - it's a weapon of mass destruction that causes much shock and awe...
2) Doom RL - Who knew that goodyears could be shoulder-launched?
3) Underwater Thunderbolt - Specifically underwater, because it's just fun!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #32 on: 2004-04-19, 13:22 »

Oh yes, especially in Doom, the shotty has style. I'm just saying I'm fond of the more futuristic and original design of the strogg shotgun. It's not just picked from a Guns 'n Ammo catalog yadig? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #33 on: 2004-04-20, 01:57 »

The strogg shotgun, with it's straightline configuration and drum magazines, is miles ahead of the Doom shotgun in terms of visual design, I deffinitely agree with you there. Doom's shotgun was a little better in Doom64, where it had black composite furniture. Doom 3's shotgun is looking pretty good, although it's kind of a SPAS-12 knock-off, and IIRC it doesn't have a stock, which makes it look silly as a military weapon.

On that subject the Doom 3 pistol is looking really good. It looks completely original instead of the Berretta look-alike we had in Doom1.
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #34 on: 2004-04-21, 14:10 »

I guess I'm kind of old fashioned cause I prefer the old look.Whats a boomstick if it doesn't look like a pump action shotgun.-or lever-click clack.

BlasterDRP

« Reply #35 on: 2004-04-21, 19:12 »

Super Shotgun from Quake 2, Chaingun from Quake 2, and the Rocket Launcher from Quake.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2004-04-21, 20:31 »

Quote from: death_stalker
I guess I'm kind of old fashioned cause I prefer the old look.Whats a boomstick if it doesn't look like a pump action shotgun.-or lever-click clack.
That's what I'm talking about!  If anyone doubts the effectiveness of pump-action shotguns the German government actually protested they were in violation of the Hague Decrees in World War I when the Americans started using them in force in the trenches with devastating results.  If you've ever seen a 12-gauge Remington 870 fire off a 12-pellet magnum buckshot round you know just how much energy is coming out of the end of one of those things.  Futuristic and fancy isn't always better, and the classic steel and wood design is just fine by me!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #37 on: 2004-04-22, 03:06 »

There's nothing wrong with "classic" style pump action wooden-clad shotguns. They're great in their own right, I just think they're a bit out of place on a Martain military base, when such shotguns are allready being replaced today with more modernized shotguns. Even though the military continues to prefer rifle-caliber weaponry, I can deffinitely see them issueing shotguns in setting like security detail on space stations and moon bases, I just don't think they would look like the shotguns you used to shoot ducks with your grandpa.
On the other hand the old wooden shotguns were great for Quake because it had that dark-age look to it, they were like "medeival shotguns"; I just don't think they were as appropriate for Doom.
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #38 on: 2004-04-28, 15:29 »

Perclass top 3

Earth:  Dual Gats, Sniper Rifle, Mortar
Doom:  Combat Shotgun, Heavy Chaingun, BFG 9000
Slipgate:  Rocket Launcher, Grenade Launcher, Shaft
Strogg:  Chaingun/Railgun (tie), BFG 10k, Hyperblaster

-JL
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: