2024-04-24, 09:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Best action movie ever?  (Read 11333 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-04-15, 23:01 »

What's your favorite action movie ever?

I have to say that Predator, Aliens, and any of the Die Hards are mine...I just can't choose.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-15, 23:55 »

Starship Troopers.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-16, 01:14 »

I would say The Matrix Trilogy, but T2, the aforementioned Die Hard Trilogy and Alien films (except Alien3) are all pretty close seconds.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-16, 02:04 »

True Lies and Thunderball.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-16, 02:16 »

Raiders of the Lost Ark would have to be up there.  Aliens...
I'm sure there's some more...

Ah - I know, anything with Yahoo Serious in it.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-16, 02:17 by dna » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-16, 05:58 »

I would have to say The Lost World, followed by Jurassic Park III.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-16, 17:00 »

I'm not gonna say anything about jurassic park.

i would say
predator
alien2
the matrix
last action hero
the delta force
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-16, 17:15 »

Delta Force?  With Chuck Norris?  Slipgate - Distraught
Dakmn smileys ---> Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2004-04-16, 17:16 by dna » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-16, 17:53 »

And now to cynically criticize your opinions, hehe...

Predator was pretty good, though Predator 2 was horrid.

Alien was great, Aliens was just as good (if not a tinge less interesting), while Aliens 3 and Resurrection sucked.

The Die Hard series is good for what it is, I suppose... Mindless killing, cursing, and explosions.

Starship Troopers was quite entertaining, though did not have near the amount of depth that the book possessed. I haven't seem the sequel yet, though I doubt it's any good, as it was one of those straight-to-video releases.

The Matrix Trilogy, nah. The Matrix was great, and the Animatrix yeilded a few gems, but the sequels were not too great by comparison.

True Lies was quite entertaining.

I've never seen, or heard of, Thunderballs.

Indiana Jones in general was okay. Harrison Ford is usually pretty entertaining though. (Blade Runner anyone?)

The Lost World was good, better than the first film, but III was such a god-awful piece of trash.

Last Action Hero was interesting.

Delta Force has never been viewed by these eyes.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-16, 18:03 »

Quote from: dev/null
the Animatrix yeilded a few gems
IMHO, The Animatrix only yielded some good eye candy.  The stories I could have taken or left.  But yeah, Square...  The movie production arm of Square/Whatever it is now rocks.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-16, 18:51 »

omg , forgot the best 1 of all

MAD MAX trilogie

it was in my eyes the first and the best of a new style o  films , ( it also futures a boomstick )

about the delta force ( yes with that texas ranger dude )
a plain has been taken over by some moslim extremists ( yes the idea was the before Bin-laden ) and is flown over to israel and the delta force has to come back in action and get the hostages back to safety  

( note somewhere in the movie 1 of the terrorists says ,
"1 day i will drive a tuck filled with dynamite up to the white house and detonate it "
yes , Bin-ladin wasnt the first guy with this plan )
« Last Edit: 2004-04-16, 18:55 by games keeper » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-16, 19:05 »

The Mad Max trilogy was pretty good, though hardly the best of the post apocalyptical genre. I always liked Waterworld quite a bit, despite everyone else in the world hating it for some unkown reason Slipgate - Shifty

Some really good action movies however, are:

Ninja Scroll

Terminator 2 (agreed, even if the first one was quite campy and the third just blew big time)

Equilibrium (despite being a rip-off of every other dystopia one could think of, and then not even following through with it's own philosophy very well)

Darkman

They Live

...There are obviously others, but they fit into other categories better than they do "action"...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-16, 21:26 »

The Mad Max trilogy was pretty good, though hardly the best of the post apocalyptical genre. I always liked Waterworld quite a bit, despite everyone else in the world hating it for some unkown reason

I liked it too, but Waterworld is the Daikatana of the movie industry. It was touted as THE BEST MOVIE EVAR!! and was really just average.

And I agree with the addition of T2 to this list. Awesome movie. Slipgate - Smile
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2004-04-16, 22:54 »

mad max had rape , fast cars , ugly ways to die and a boomstick .
mad max was aso the movie that brought mel gibson to the top and futured the
v8 interceptor with 600hp heightened back and the sweetest turbo over .
( if 2f2f would only future things like that Slipgate - Sad )
I wanna have suck a turbo on my car to only  a bit bigger like this

waterworld was cool for those 4 machineguns gunner who blew up his 1 teammate because he couldnt see .
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-04-17, 01:43 »

Quote from: dev/null
The Lost World was good, better than the first film, but III was such a god-awful piece of trash.
And now to retort your cynical criticism, I loved III because it showed the raptors with some measure of intelligence, and watching "the dominant species" get dominated by creatures from over 65 million years ago is always a plus in my book.  Bow down before your superiors, small insignificant mammals!  Sipgate - Evil

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #15 on: 2004-04-17, 02:07 »

A very, very small shred of intelligence. They were all big and bad until some scientist pulled out a slide whistle Slipgate - Tongue

The Pteranodon sequence was lame and the Spinosaurus was not that great of an idea either, I thought. Of course, I felt the plot in general was lacking big time.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-17, 02:33 by dev/null » Logged
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2004-04-17, 02:38 »

Equilibrium (despite being a rip-off of every other dystopia one could think of, and then not even following through with it's own philosophy very well)
Equilibrium is to 1984 as I, Robot is to Asimov's original.

A decent enough flick, granted, but a butchered cliche.

Starship Troopers would have to be my fav. Can't think of any real action flicks that have the plot to keep me interested. More a fan of movies like Memento, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, etc..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #17 on: 2004-04-17, 02:46 »

Snatch was just a butchered, dumbed-down version of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels made for the American audience. With the exception of Brad Pitt's Pikey portrayal, it was unimpressive. Guy Ritchie, to me, was a one hit wonder. Of course, you can't expect much out of someone who would marry Madonna (yuck!). In that respect, I'd rather choose a Tarantino flick.

Memento was quite a well done film though. Not action, per say, but still great. Following was good too.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-17, 02:50 by dev/null » Logged
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #18 on: 2004-04-17, 06:38 »

>while Aliens 3 and Resurrection sucked.

While I won't argue Ressurection was a mess, watch the extended version of Alien3 on the Quadrilogy (or however its spelled). So many important, good scenes were cut out of the theatrical cut (or the one you've seen on VHS/DVD up until early this year).  Alien3 is a solid film, though can't compare to the first two.

My favorite action films:

Dead or Alive
Predator
T2: Judgement Day
Kill Bill volume1
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #19 on: 2004-04-17, 08:58 »

I tend to prefer action movies over others for some reason... don't ask, I dunno.

And I guess what one would actually consider an 'action' movie... I haven't read any of the posts at all, so I'm just going to post.

My favorites are:

The Jackal
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Saving Private Ryan

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: