2024-04-28, 00:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Woo + Metriod  (Read 6495 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-04-07, 16:38 »

The Hollywood Reporter is ..reporting that John Woo has signed a deal with Nintendo which allows him to take the franchise to the big screen. Woo will be a producer on the movie along with his long time production partner Terence Chang, and Woo has the option to direct it as well. The plan is to get the first movie out before 2006.

"We are very fortunate that there is such an extensive amount of material to draw upon for the film due to there being so many iterations of the game over the years," Woo said. The movie will center on the origins of the game's female protagonist, sexy bounty hunter Samus Aran, and relate her adventures battling the insidious life-sucking Metroids and their controlling force, Mother Brain. "We have to assume the mainstream audience is unfamiliar with the property," Foxhoven said. "As for the rest of the film, we will stay true to the game and have Samus battling the Metroids and Mother Brain in a fight for control of the galaxy."

Woo is also working on video games himself, directing the cinematics and overseeing story and character design at the Tiger Hill Entertainment development company (which has a deal with Sega). Two of the games in development at Tiger Hill will be shown at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in May.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/...t_id=1000480930

I only have one thing to say to this.

Khaaaaaaaaaaan!
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-07, 22:45 »

Somehow I don't think 40 hours of constant backtracking will amuse audiences.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-14, 05:27 »

Quote from: OoBeY
Somehow I don't think 40 hours of constant backtracking will amuse audiences.
You're probably right. He'll just make Samus a super-sexy whore and toss in a shower scene and some doves instead.

BAH.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-14, 07:13 »

Super sexy dove whores in a shower scene?!?   Slipgate - WTF

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-14, 15:52 »

Quote from: Phoenix
Super sexy dove whores in a shower scene?!?  Slipgate - WTF
You'd like that, wouldn't you. Slipgate - Wink

But seriously, I cringed when I saw the words sexy bounty hunter Samus Aaron in that article.  Sipgate - Evil

I mean, no one even knew Samus was female for the longest time unless they beat the first Metriod in a super-fast time. If the movie comes out, and her suit has obvious breasts, or she removes any part of it except her helmet (and that only for a few seconds), I'll be pissed.
« Last Edit: 2004-04-14, 15:54 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Parapsyche

Spectre

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-14, 16:47 »

Yeah, I didn't really appreciate the "sexy" description of Samus, but I suppose that's just the press' way of drawing attention to the topic or something.  She shouldn't be portrayed in that fashion, and I don't think she was ever meant to be.

Ah well...I hope the movie turns out to be good.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-14, 16:52 »

con cant like girls anymore since hes married but i on the other hand will be able to live with a sexy samus.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-14, 17:22 »

Badass > Sexy.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-14, 21:36 »

Quote from: Angst
Badass > Sexy.
Indeed.  Personally, I'd love to see the role of Samus be played by Jodie Foster or Sigourney Weaver, but that is probably wishful thinking.   Slipgate - Smile~   I'm still looking forward to the movie regardless of who plays the role of Samus however.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-15, 03:51 »

both of them are too old.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-15, 04:10 »

Mila Jovovich would be perfect.
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-17, 06:43 »

With the exception of Paul W.S. Anderson's works, Video Game movies (thus far) suck.

Woo's American films have all sucked (except Face/Off and maybe Broken Arrow).  I don't think he could pull off a decent VG-based movie.  Hell, I don't think anyone pull off a decent Metroid movie, its simply not a game that would translate well to film.  

Doom, Quake II or Half-Life on the other hand....
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-17, 08:06 »

I would just worry that Quake II or Doom as a movie would turn into another Starship Troopers.  I did not like the movie.  The beginning was ok but the ending I absolutely loathed.  Everything inbetween was, well, inbetween.  I'd prefer that if a movie about Quake II or Doom be made that it actually tell a decent story.  I know that's asking a lot from semi-mindless shooter games (kill monsters, find key, exit level), but I think that's the largest failing of video game based movies to date.  Nobody takes them seriously, including the directors, so you end up with a very weak plot and very poor directing.  I rather expect just more of the same for the Metroid movie.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: