2024-04-20, 00:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: map: req1e1m5 - Update (Yes it still lives)  (Read 17495 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2003-03-01, 01:40 »

i've been devoting all my time for this map, for you who been around for awhile knows that this is the first map i started to make, it's been on ice for awhile but now i've done some serious work, release of this baby don't seem to far away now.

Been doing game test on this map and gameplay feels damn good! the doom class will frag you in the close corridors, slipgate will blast you away with his rocket, strogg will rail you and earth will roast you Slipgate - Smile

changes/bugs
added lots of details/new functions
changed the terrain
changed terrain textures
added quad glow at quad teleporter
fixed shooters
added bot weights
added map models
started to make phong shaders
added more weapons
changed yellow armor secret

Screenshots: http://medlem.spray.se/reboots/quake3/maps...m5/req1e1m5.htm

now i do want to test this map aginst real ppls hopefully i'll release a beta of it next week.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: 2003-03-01, 01:42 by ReBoOt » Logged
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-01, 03:47 »

Wow... I like the flaming sword Slipgate - Smile I'm not so sure about the glowing Quake symbol on the floor though, looks kind of weird there *shrugs*
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-03, 02:34 »

I would say it's a nice looking map. But the waters outside the castle should look dirty and muddy. And perhaps you could add some fogs in the castle? These are just my suggestion... but perhaps you could consider it?

And again, it's a nice map. By the way, do you have traps in this castle?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-04, 20:11 »

well the quad logo is so far just a test..dunno if it will be there..
about fog/water i did a "fog" shader for the water but for some strange reason it went completly black... i'll get back making those shaders once again.

Yes all the traps that where in the orginal q1 map is there, tho so far there are shooter_plasma instead of shooter_nails. There will be shooter_nails when pho and Lt-phil finish those gen shooters.

did some changes on the read armor room yesterday, but since i've catch a evil cold, im way to sick to do anything tday :/
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-04, 23:46 »

Very sweet looking map, ReBoot!
Those bricks that stick out, the flaming sword, the bridge outside, all nice eye-candy.

That blue Quake symbol looks a bit out of place as the blue effect seems to be coming from nowhere. Maybe you can carve a bit into the floor. Does the effect fade in and out? I can't tell from the screenshot but that would be a cool effect, I think.

Nice screenshots!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-03-05, 01:13 »

I'm working on those shooters fast as I can, I want them ready for you and Phil as soon as possible.  The original Q1 map if I recall actually had a floor shadow instead of a glow for the Quad area.  Maybe an alpha-blended decal would work if doing a lightmap effect would be too difficult.  I always thought it was neat since the shadow came from nowhere.

The map itself looks very nice.  I've never been fond of Q1, but so far I like it.  VERY nice effects on the lava, I like the dark areas lit with red glow. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-03-05, 22:15 »

Thanks guys Slipgate - Smile hmm yea the quad symbol do look quite funny and i've been trying to make a "quad shadow" but when it comes to making textures i suck period. maybe if Tabun got some free time over he could make a quad shadow texture?,  should be a pice of cake with his pixel prodding skills.

Or if anyone around here feels up for the challange feel free to make one!

well now the "lava" effects looks even better when i darkend the sky Slipgate - Smile

anyway i did recive a not so nice letter from my webprovider: they will move the datacenter from paris to stockholm when they do this move (will take approx 7days) i can't update my site!!!  grrr... so i'll have to use my old and slower webstorge....  Fainting

*UPDATE*
quad shadow texture is not needed anymore..got an suggestion from tab by using the Q1 font.... thanx for the tip tab.
why did'nt i thought about that in the first place.../me *slaps himself*
« Last Edit: 2003-03-05, 23:00 by ReBoOt » Logged
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #7 on: 2003-03-06, 10:26 »

Can I still give suggestions?

Why not make the whole place looks old and rusty, instead of making it looking brand new?

Continue to try the fog shader for the water, and also making the waters murky... and also, put some fogs inside the place.

I think that quad on the floor looks nice... is it possible to make the color change automatically?

Also, I think you should make a secret area... it can be a small room with full ammos and weapons... Slipgate - Smile

Most important, banners! Slipgate - Laugh
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #8 on: 2003-03-06, 15:24 »

I wonder if there's a specific name for fetishes involving secret areas and banners?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-03-06, 20:31 »

Lunatic Guy: course you can give suggestions the map ain't finished yet that's why i made this post in the first place, to get suggestions and comments Slipgate - Smile

It may not be so visible but i have made the place rusty and worn out, some walls miss bricks cracks in the floor and so on, im planning to make the lvl look even more old.
Bout the waters i do have another idea.. i'll upload a screenshot once im done with the waters.
i will place fog where it's possible if you got lot's of curves/details in a lvl, fog brushes can kill your FPS and result in high r_speeds.

Also another thing
when using curves and fog if you let a curve brush go thru a fog brush the cruve brush will crack...don't ask me why it just do that..

Im gonna try the shadow quad this time, might try something with the light quad too, course you can change the colors change.

And making a secret room full with weapons n ammo is an bad idea, that whould cause serious unbalance in the game. tho i am planning a "funny" secret.
Sure i whould use gen banners if there actually where any..might try to make some myself
« Last Edit: 2003-03-06, 20:36 by ReBoOt » Logged
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #10 on: 2003-03-07, 10:23 »

Quote from: dev/null
I wonder if there's a specific name for fetishes involving secret areas and banners?
???
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #11 on: 2003-03-07, 15:24 »

I'm just messing with you Lunatic Guy  Thumbs up!
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #12 on: 2003-03-09, 14:25 »

One more thing( I guess): Will there be music in this map?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-03-09, 20:10 »

Only q3 default music. why? cuz i can't upload large files on my crappy 56 modem.
« Last Edit: 2003-03-09, 20:10 by ReBoOt » Logged
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #14 on: 2003-03-10, 01:10 »

Oh, I thought it's boring if we use the same original soundtrack of Q3A... but what about the sound effects in the map? I mean, the ambiences, or stuff like that?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2003-03-10, 05:24 »

Doing fog brushes in water may not be necessary unless you want the water to be a specific color.  I'm planning on implementing a client-side effect that will fog the water, slime, and lava for anyone who takes a dunk as soon as you submerge.  Think Q2 here, you'll see what I mean.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2003-03-10, 09:12 »

lunatic guy: well im sorry but the q3 default sound track will have to do.
Course there's ambience sounds in my mpa, the torches crack, you hear lava and water for eg.

Phoenix: that whould be cool pho Slipgate - Smile i'll wait using fog brushes underwater then.
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #17 on: 2003-03-10, 10:34 »

The waters outside the castle should have some sounds of frog croaking...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-03-13, 20:42 »

A little update: http://medlem.spray.se/reboots/quake3/maps.../req1e1m5r1.htm
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #19 on: 2003-03-13, 21:19 »

Doing fog brushes in water may not be necessary unless you want the water to be a specific color. I'm planning on implementing a client-side effect that will fog the water, slime, and lava for anyone who takes a dunk as soon as you submerge. Think Q2 here, you'll see what I mean.
Interesting thought pho, but what happens if you dunk a player in a water brush that already HAS fog?  :unsure:

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: