2024-03-28, 11:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: (s)hoooterrssss.... (creamy shooter goodness)  (Read 12152 times)
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« on: 2003-03-08, 10:56 »

thanks to phoenix's hard work, we are coming along very well with the shooters, and i have thrown together some demos to show off the pretty.  :hat:

Jacob's Ladder Demo

Flaming Spouts Demo

Targeting Demo

as you can see, these are much more than just gen weapons applied to generic Quake III shooters.  between phoenix and myself, we've come up with a massive set of keys that can drastically alter the behavior of shooters; not only affecting the play of a map, but also adding the possibility of dazzling effects.  :ph34r:

questions?  comments?  suggestions?
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2003-03-08, 20:01 »

will the firesprouts cause damage?  :blink:
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-08, 20:39 »

Looking very nice! good job Slipgate - Smile can't wait till i get hold of those shooters Slipgate - Laugh
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #3 on: 2003-03-09, 14:30 »

Hmmm, that targetting thing is cool, it'd be good for a Icon Of Sin remake (think of the head as shooting rockets AT people)
Slipgate - Laugh :lol:
« Last Edit: 2003-03-09, 14:31 by Daedalus » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-03-12, 08:14 »

Yes, napalm launched from lava will hurt people.  There may also be options added to vary damage and projectile speed, but that's not set in stone yet.  I think it would be nice to trigger environmental effects that are display only.  I'm also considering adding a few extra shooter classes to better taylor this for lava effects as opposed to player-intended napalm effects so that mappers can have better control over the fire and how it behaves, as well as adding various projectile-less explosion shooters so that mappers can do Q2-style "blow something up" effects, which will rock when combined with the md3 explosion that Tabun is working on at present.  Work is progressing on the shooters again after a weekend hiatus for some other not-so-fun duties. Slipgate - Smile

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-03-12, 13:01 »

Don't forget the lava balls pho Slipgate - Smile
Lunatic Guy

« Reply #6 on: 2003-03-13, 03:42 »

I would say the lava looks strange as it is coming out...

But the 2 shooters which was in Targetting Demo is nice.

And what is that electric thingy??
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-03-19, 15:21 »

I cant see the movie Slipgate - Sad
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2003-03-19, 19:53 »

The "electric thingy" is called Jacob's Ladder, after the guy who noticed that arcs tend to climb.. As I recall, but then I've been wrong before :blink:. Anyhoo, as far as the shooters go, what pho is adding has MASSIVE potential, the only things I'd like to see further that I can think of at the moment would be steam or smoke, most everything else I want in a shooter is already there Slipgate - Laugh. looking forward to this stuff guys.  Hail

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #9 on: 2003-03-20, 17:00 »

steam shooter.....ouch....'IT BURNSS!'
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-03-20, 17:10 »

dont make me drool lillaz.
\

I still cant view those movies. Slipgate - Sad
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #11 on: 2003-03-21, 02:49 »

get DivX..? :blink:
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2003-03-21, 21:13 »

ok all shooters look great.
but if sombody is gonna use this  napalminto his map he has to make  so that it doesnt fly that high.

I just had a briljant idea for a map (part from half life opp force ( not Cs )
where you had to run trough a pipe that spits fire every tree seconds (deadly )
and you can always barrely make it nasty he.
or even a remapping of "the frag pipe" and instead of lava making it a blast pit like in half life.
 (sould be nasty to see trough that window getting burned alive thx to those flames coming from everywhere out of the walls)

now if I only could map  Slipgate - Sad
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #13 on: 2003-03-22, 03:34 »

Quote from: games keeper
or even a remapping of "the frag pipe" and instead of lava making it a blast pit like in half life.
What do you mean, like horizontal and vertical napalm streams instead? Because if so, that'd be pretty cool  Slipgate - Wink
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #14 on: 2003-03-22, 22:18 »

yea thats what I mean dev .

but the guy would still have to be visible trough the window. (we have to see them burn )

P.s. since first the armor melts away and only then the flesh its gonna be very , very painfull.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-03-24, 21:12 »

:blink: considering the damage rate of the torch, you'd have to start watching pretty quick because that poor guy will probably be gibbing very shortly. And horizontal/vertical shooters aren't a problem, it's just a matter of where you put the origin and targets.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2003-03-27, 04:57 »

Without going into too much detail yet, mappers will have the ability to control both projectile speed and add a multiplier for damage to either increase or decrease it.  What you'll be able to do with shooters once 99c is released will amaze you.  I'm also tossing in two additional napalm shooters - both without streamers, the first "normal" and the second will do damage at a reduced speed but generally higher damage per cycle so that it's more scaleable if you want to "slow-roast" something.  Combine reduced damage with reduced speed and you can get some interesting effects.  I could even toss in a non-gravity flame cloud if you like, or maybe a combined lavaball-napalm launcher.  It would be a napalm shooter that tossed out a lavaball when it first starts firing.  Think of hot "Phoenix-friendly" environments for potential uses for that one. Slipgate - Smile

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2003-03-29, 08:33 »

yay! pho makes the angst happy Slipgate - Tongue

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2003-03-30, 10:34 »

MMA.Phoenix saw the light

http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/phoeni...pics/laser1.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/phoeni...pics/laser2.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/phoeni...pics/laser3.jpg

Available in four flavors:  Red, blue, green, and yellow.  Radius and damage can be varied to taste.  Common combinations include thin hurts-a-lot, thin instagib, and mega-huge instagib.  Shown above are the thin blue hurts-a-lot, and the big red "kill you when you touch it".  Can be stationary lines of of  "walk into it an die", or auto-targeting player-tracking beams of death.  Strogg-style mapping just became a lot more interesting. Slipgate - Wink

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #19 on: 2003-03-30, 23:04 »

buh.. buh... buh...... Fainting

WWWWWAAAHOOOOO!!!
 Thumbs up!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: