2024-04-20, 13:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 2005 draft?! (slowly..our rights are fading.)  (Read 10477 times)
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« on: 2004-05-19, 03:58 »

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues...=ua_congressorg
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-19, 04:41 »

Our rights have been fading for awhile now ...

But this draft irks me. I won't get into the details as to why right now. *needs to cool off*
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-19, 04:44 »

And slowly, our country is becoming more of a commune/dictatorship...

Thanks alot, Adolf Bush. College students are no longer safe, and neither are Canadians and Mexicans.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-19, 04:59 by Footman » Logged
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-19, 05:12 »

i see things like this and its almost funny. no draft is coming because to push it forward would be political suicide for everyone envolved. Wacky things get pushed in the legislature all the time but that dosent mean they get passed.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-19, 06:09 »

College students are no longer safe, and neither are Canadians and Mexicans.
Canadians and Mexicans are exempt, you cannot jump borders anymore however. ie: no running to canada to dodge the 'ol draft.

The bit about college irks me a tad, but that's why we've got so many bloody hippies with phd's now.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-19, 06:11 »

Oh is THAT time of year already? Time to resynch my calender.

Be sure and notify me when this comes up again, ok? I like to base my timekeeping off of such regular events.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-19, 06:30 »

There's a Republican in the White House, and it's an election year.  Expect it to become a "hot issue" whether it is politically feasible or not.  Woodsman is correct, there are so many absurd laws proposed in the legislature that never are passed, however I might remind everyone that sometimes they ARE passed, even by a slim majority.  The 1994 "Assault Weapons" ban passed by an extremely thin majority, and then only after a sunset provision was added.  The result?  20 lost seats in the House for its supporters and a full shift of Congressional control to the Republicans.  Sure, it was political suicide for some, but the bill's major proponents - Charles Schumer and Diane Feinstein - are still in office, and Clinton, who signed it into law, was reelected in 1996.  An attempt to later repeal the act was proposed since it was unpopular and as any law enforcement official will tell you was a laughable and absurd proposition for reducing crime at best, and a dramatic infringement on rights at worst, however it was not repealed and now calls for an extension (with a nice list of new weapons to outlaw) have been echoing from the same sources as before.

Like weapons or not, this IS a constitutional right we're talking about, and it's being infringed upon at every opportunity.  That's just one right.  Once you lose a right or freedom it is exceedingly difficult to reacquire it again.  In regards to this draft - be careful.  Never doubt that anything is possible, and don't expect any Democrats to be more "freedom friendly" on this issue either.  They will say what is convenient now, but if they think it will serve their ends they will ship you off to God knows where in a heartbeat and not think twice.  All politicians are equally trustworthy in THAT respect.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2004-05-23, 07:27 »

confirmed! that bill was indeed thrown out..woot
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #8 on: 2004-05-24, 00:46 »

I eagerly await the next occurance of this. (See my previous post)
Nic_Hex

Dopefish

« Reply #9 on: 2004-05-24, 03:17 »

After reading the idea. I have two questions... This draft, will it be to train more "weekend" military members or Nam all over again? I can understand using the draft as means to fill spots on US posts that are being vacated due to sending troops over seas. And if this is so, the draft is going to be "temp work" 2nd question, this has to due with college students. What about those of us whom are non-deployable? We were not cited there at all. I would hate to see any one sent out on draft. But what about those who have been training (yes, ROTC members TRAIN for YEARS for what we will do after college), will the Gov't just toss more tax dollors out the window? If you look at these questions, you can see it wouldnt be a "bad" thing to use the draft for the purpose of TEMP post filling. We need people to run bases state side, as well as Europe. Because, some people CAN NOT stay state side, becasue their KNOWLEDGE of their job is NEEDED some where else. I would rather have a draft person working on a tank state side than in Iraq. Because they dont know was much as the enlisted man. Do I support this 100%? If its a temp state side draft yes. If its to toss 100s + of Citizens into the desert with out propper training? No! By the time a draft member would be trained and pass all exams, their would be NO NEED for them! But, if they are sent as temps, who need to only know how to do the basics of a job and need not be physicaly fit to preform in the field. YES! Let our TRAINED TROOPS do what they know how to! If their job is needed in two places, let some one w/ SOME idea work on it state side. But I dont want some Draft member working on a tank in the field!
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2004-05-24, 03:21 »

Well, atleast now I know I can still keep my life.
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2004-05-24, 03:29 »

Quote from: OmEgA-X
confirmed! that bill was indeed thrown out..woot
Are you refering to the one Pho mentioned, or the draft bill?

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #12 on: 2004-05-24, 09:25 »

draft
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2004-05-25, 03:07 »

Makou:  The 1994 "assault weapons" ban sunsets this September.  Watch for a new round of attempted extensions on the ban which will, of course, include a whole NEW set of forbidden implements, to show up in the legislature.  If you don't think they'll try that then I invite you to look at the amendments they tried to tack onto the recently proposed law that would have protected firearms makers from frivolous lawsuits.  The law was voted down because of the amendments were worse than the prospect of the lawsuits.  

At least the draft legislation was voted down, so everyone can breathe easier I suppose.  I do agree with Nic_Hex's assessment.  Sending people out to be cannon fodder is foolish.  You don't win wars by dying, you win them by making the other guy die.  It makes more sense to send out the trained troops while using draftees to fill base positions and train them up for combat should replacements for the regular soldiers be needed, whether due to casualties or troop rotation.  I think if a draft is ever reinstated that draftees should receive the same compensation as the regular soldiers, and once the "urgent need" is over should be allowed the option of staying in the military, retaining their current rank and pay, or else return to civilian life without having to wait for a "re-enlistment" period to be up.  Any wounded or dead should also be given the same military benefits as well.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-06, 18:43 »

Sorry to revive this, but Omega, can you point me to where, exactly, it shows that the draft bill was thrown out? I can't find it, and haven't been able to find it, anywhere.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Naoscaire

Imp

« Reply #15 on: 2004-06-07, 18:14 »

Personally I would like to see all able bodied individuals serve a mandatory 2 years in the military. Whatever branch they choose. It would do alot of people some good. Then when they get out they can go to college or whatever. Some people just need to grow up and actaully know what it means to serve the country they live in instead of saying give me, give me, give me, and providing zip point squat back.
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #16 on: 2004-06-08, 12:56 »

Agreed

<3
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-06-08, 16:37 »

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country. - John F. Kennedy, Inaugural Address, Jan. 20, 1961
« Last Edit: 2004-06-08, 16:38 by Phoenix » Logged

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #18 on: 2004-06-08, 17:14 »

Thank you, Phoenix; You beat me to it.

Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #19 on: 2004-06-08, 23:38 »

Too bad Oswald nailed the man himself back in '63. Military service is fine except some people can't even qualify for military service. Also it's one thing to serve a very good administration, but it's another for thousands of lives to be squandered worthlessly in foreign lands over an idea. Take Vietnam for instance. The whole idea was to contain Communism, BUT the government America was propping up over there wasn't worth a single penny and so their own citizens wouldn't fight for them, and even after the Communist North had absorbed the South, they still dispised the Red Chinese to the North of them whom they tangled with countless times for nearly a millenia. Nobody really understood how divided the Communist nations really were. Just like nobody really predicted Iraq would split into 3 or more warring factions which will be very difficult to unite under any leadership. I hope if there is a draft, we'll have a mush brighter leadership to serve by then.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: