2024-04-29, 14:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gore's recent comments  (Read 3809 times)
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« on: 2004-05-28, 08:52 »

Sorry to bring in the politics crap, and this is a long read, but Gore's recent comments painfully resonate how I've been feeling in the last two weeks.

http://www.moveonpac.org/goreremarks052604.html
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-28, 11:02 »

What you've been feeling for the last two weeks, I've been feeling for the last two YEARS, maybe longer. Call me cynical, whatever.

If only Kerry would denounce Bush as vehemently.
LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-28, 19:53 »

That's politics for you, however.  If Kerry were to do something like this himself, yeah, the guys who are already voting "anti-Bush" would finally have a reason to vote "pro-Kerry".  But in the process, the tone of the speech could easily alienate some people who may be somewhere in the middle ground right now.

I don't know that it's the best strategy, but with all the bad news coming from the other side of the fence, being the "no bad news is good news" side is an interesting strategy...

Gore's right though; Kerry needs to stay quiet and just promise that he WILL bring the right people together to repair this country.  No need to give specifics and limit your options; the man doesn't have all the answers himself.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-29, 02:00 »

I would only ask people to keep one thing and one thing only in mind.  As much as you may dislike (or detest or outright hate, depending on the person) the way Bush is handling events in this time, if he is replaced by Kerry then I ask you to remember all of your expectations of how things are supposed to be better while he is in charge as opposed to Bush.  Remember this when things don't go as well as expected, when he decides to serve the interests of himself and his party before serving yours.  If you're going to hold one leader accountable to a high standard then hold ALL leaders accountable to the same standard, and especially when they speak words that please you.  Remember that the serpent also spoke pleasing words.

It is a common human failure to expect better days from those who promise change.  My experience has shown that all promises are empty promises when they come from the mouths of politicians, and the common man is always left in disappointment, hoping for something better to come but never seeing it because life's necessities and basic survival always supplant ideals.  It is easy to point fingers when times are difficult.  It is easy to lay blame when one desires power that rests in the hands of one's adversaries.  In the end it's just politics as usual to me.  I don't see anything unexpected or unpredictable here.  As the prophet put it so well so long ago, "There is nothing new under the sun."

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-29, 04:12 »

Well Lee the proublem is that Kerry does a fine job of alienating people in the middle ground because hes a leftist who makes Ted Kennedy look like Dick Nixon. He has no chance unless he can convince those in the middle who are frustrated with Bush thats hes sufficiently anti bush. He has no other platform because he couldnt win with only the far left voting for him and thats the only voter base he could count on.
« Last Edit: 2004-05-29, 04:14 by Woodsman » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: