2024-04-28, 19:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripped Gen stuff ((Check it out))  (Read 32642 times)
o'dium

Spectre

« on: 2004-06-03, 14:46 »

Came across this thread via our forums, seems they are ripping models from everywhere, and i saw Tabun's GL model in there too:

http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1084

Sorry if its old!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-03, 15:06 »

Maybe it's old, but I sure never knew about this..
Man this is the sort of stuff that makes me sick to my stomach. Shameless, honourless, spineless direct rips of just about everything we've ever done. Fucking lousy slobs. Right under marketing guys on my blacklist.

Thanks for letting us know o'dium!
« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 15:06 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-03, 15:14 »

Yeha, thanks o'dium, We'll be sure to sick Lee'Mon on em.. he hasnt ranted in a little while, im sure he'll be up for it Slipgate - Smile
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-03, 15:42 »

No problem guys. I hate stuff like this too. Nothing is worse than spending hours on something, and then have some guy come along and rip you off. Hope it gets solved for you.
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-03, 15:44 »

not to mention i dont think raven would be too happy about their RPG and SPAS-15 models being ripped from SOF2 and being called 'his'
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-03, 15:53 »

Just SoF2? What about Jedi Knight, what about Urban Terror, Gen Arena, among others... I was amazed not to see any of our stuff in there....
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-03, 16:02 »

lol thats just what i saw on the first page.. didnt have time to go through 9 pages here at school.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-03, 16:12 »

Actually, o'dium, I think I spotted your air-strike bomb model. Then again, it's only depicted really tiny and as hud icons..

It just reminded me of a model shot I saw on Q2E's forums..

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-03, 16:13 »

Don't forget RTCW/ET for those ammo packs.

Such gross rippage should not be rewarded with compliments.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 16:13 by Tekhead » Logged
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-03, 16:24 »

Quote from: Tabun
Actually, o'dium, I think I spotted your air-strike bomb model. Then again, it's only depicted really tiny and as hud icons..

It just reminded me of a model shot I saw on Q2E's forums..
Where dude? All i see is the model witha messed up skin... Which could be Gens or Q2E's health pack. Should I be looking for an icon? :s
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-06-03, 16:39 »

Hehe yeah, the huge red icon :]
Not much of a rip, even if it is based on your stuff, but still ;]

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-03, 16:53 »

Tabun

YES, creed _should_ have contacted you prior to conversion of these models

YES, more credit to wirehead should be given in the zip files/readme files of the converted models and in the contents of this thread

BUT, i fail to see how you can claim what he did is illegal when nowhere on your website or within the readme files/manuals of your mods is there any mention of any copyright you have over the models or even a disclaimer saying "you may not use these models without our consent" or "you may not modify these models without our consent".
Until these are placed on your website/content I do not think you can request creed to stop converting models or to remove the models he has already created...correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry you are angered by this. If its any comfort people clearly do like your work and as most of the ppl on this forum are quakeworld only players, they would never have seen your work where it not for these conversions. Given proper author credit would you be satisfied?
 - oldman

Interesting...
...I do not think you can request creed to stop converting models or to remove the models he has already created...correct me if I am wrong.

Well, there's the fuel to the fire. I'm done replying for now...
« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 16:53 by Tekhead » Logged
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-03, 17:09 »

/me sits back , enjoys the show and waves a flag with lee on it in the air .

we love you lee .

now get out there and destroy those idiotic ripping donkeys .
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #13 on: 2004-06-03, 17:19 »

Tabun: "I see an apology of sorts (an apology for my reaction is kind of odd though)"

I didn't apologize for anything. I'm one for professionalism... If someone used my work without asking me, or giving credit, I wouldn't be happy at all. Now if said person, at least, gave credit... I still wouldn't be happy, but I'd be a bit more considerable towards him than if he didn't.

It's like saying... yes, he ripped it and tossed it into another game, but at least he 'knows' he didn't really do anything to take credit for.

Anyway... as I said before, I'll drift back into the shadows before I say too much... again(?)

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-03, 17:25 »

That's because it wasn't directed at you, but at oldman.

What I am, once again, troubled by, is the amount of flame-style posts popping up on that board. It's hard enough to get people bow to reason in an angered frame of mind as it is, instant flamewars don't exactly make things any easier.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-03, 17:26 by Tabun » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #15 on: 2004-06-03, 17:31 »

Hah... I'm a dumass. *slinks back into the shadows and hides* Slipgate - Ninja

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2004-06-03, 19:02 »

Your suggestion of a lawsuit is laughable. This is a school playground, not the real world.
Oh, yes, that's why mods get foxed all the time. Because the internet isn't real, and software piracy is childsplay. Crimes can't happen on the interweb! Slipgate - Tongue

*sigh* Silliness aside, a number of the posters on that forum are being 12 year old wankers. Which, admittedly, is only any different from the flamers from THIS board by their apparent maturity.

This is a legal situation, which means flaming is bad, m'kay?

Now, while my legalese is a tad rusty, I DO know that anything with a copyright by default extends to the entirety of the product. For those who may be easily confused here, a TRADEMARK registers a name, title, or effigy, whereas a COPYRIGHT states simply that the item in question, or any part thereof, canNOT be legally distributed without the legal consent of whomever holds said copyright.

Granted, the Wirehead team may not have made the copyright statements as obvious as is apparently necessary for some people. However, ignorance does NOT excuse you from comitting a crime. And yes, copyright infringement IS a crime. One of the reasons Wirehead is so pissy about the legality is because they tread a VERY fine line here. The mod is legal only so long as all material for the mod, excluding what was already included in quake 3, is created specifically for the mod.

We don't rip, we don't take credit where none is due, and we ALWAYS request permission to distribute anything that we did not create.

Mappers, or those who create individual replacement models, write copyright statements for anything they release. This is the nature of the beast. Maps are self-enclosed entities, whereas a mod itself is not. A mod is the sum of it's parts. I'm sure most mappers would LOVE to not have to deal with the statements involving "let me know if you want to use my map for something." But it's the wankers who'll rip a map apart and then claim credit for it that force them to do so.

In the end, the members of Wirehead Studios are being VERY lenient in this matter. We're trying to be civil and, the flamers from these boards and the other aside, resolve this incident relatively peacefully. Legally, ripping copyrighted material is a legally punishable offense, read: crime, and those who use and distribute the media are aiding a technical criminal. That means this isn't just Creed, this is everyone hosting, and using the files that have been ripped. The second Creed uploaded his modified files, he broke the law. The second you completed downloading the files, YOU broke the law. I'll let Lee do the real ranting, but this isn't a joke. And we don't treat it as such.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #17 on: 2004-06-03, 19:27 »

when i was in the school yard if someone stole from me i beat the snot out of them.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #18 on: 2004-06-03, 20:32 »

Oh yeah.. Slipgate - Shifty Lets kick his butt with an electronic shotgun... Slipgate - Shifty the only thing I want is to settle things up.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #19 on: 2004-06-03, 20:33 »

Quote from: Creed
Yes animating a player model is a big job.
Yeah, especially when you can't even make your own models!  Slipgate - Laugh

Oldman is a fool for trying to defend that idiot. The guy didn't even make any attempt to let people know it wasn't his own work. It's like Oldman is argueing just for the sake of argueing. And then that Nemesis guy...what a dipshit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: