2024-04-27, 08:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Cosby is awesome  (Read 4813 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-07-02, 04:35 »

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040702/.../D83IBO6O0.html

CHICAGO (AP) - Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

You go Bill!
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-02, 05:18 »

yeah i read about this awhile back. Bill is taking alot of heat for saying ebonics makes black people sound like retards.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-02, 06:56 »

Quote from: Woodsman
Bill is taking alot of heat for saying ebonics makes black people sound like retards.
And for the most part, I agree with him.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-02, 08:37 »

He's right, and it needs to be said.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-07, 16:00 »

Not surprisingly, every prominent white conservative has celebrated his remarks, and every prominent black liberal has blasted them.

That said, it was probably based more on stereotypes than actual substance. Stereotypes created by Chris Rock, Chappelle, among others. But he IS correct that the black underclass (with special scrutiny on the DC black community that keeps demanding The Man solve every one of their school security problems) REALLY needs to take personal responsibility.

But I STILL don't see as many people criticizing, or even poking fun at the WHITE underclass for its "pathological" behavior. Nor has anyone really criticized poor whites for their dialect making them sound retarded. (Didn't you know that Ebonics and Redneck-speak are rooted in the same Southern dialect?) I'm talking about a social-critic perspective, not a comedian's perspective. (Bill Cosby is a comedian and was speaking comedically, yes, but he was still speaking from a social-critic POV.)
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-07, 16:54 »

Quote from: Assamite

But I STILL don't see as many people criticizing, or even poking fun at the WHITE underclass for its "pathological" behavior. Nor has anyone really criticized poor whites for their dialect making them sound retarded. (Didn't you know that Ebonics and Redneck-speak are rooted in the same Southern dialect?)
I'm an equal opportunity critic.  I make fun of red necks all the time.  Actually, way more often thaN I make fun of black people.  I don't want to be seen as racist you know.
« Last Edit: 2004-07-07, 17:06 by dna » Logged
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-07, 19:19 »

Nobody does.

So they come up with half-hearted defenses, like "Hey, my best friend is black", etc.

That aside, like I said, I'm not talking about comedy here. I'm talking about social commentary. Meaning, there are not many books written that address the "pathology" of the white underclass as there are those devoted to poor blacks.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-07, 19:31 »

For the record, I have no sympathy for fools, regardless of skincolor.  Stupid is as stupid does.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: