2024-04-27, 11:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bots?  (Read 10635 times)
Coda

« on: 2004-07-01, 20:07 »

The bot_minplayers command doesn't seem to really jive.  It just adds a bunch of Q3 modeled bots from the Strogg class.  I couldn't find any documentation on how to run bots.

If I can't use the bot_minplayers I can add them in the map rotation.  Something like this:

set g_gametype 0

set d1 "map q3dm4; set nextmap vstr d2
set d2 "map q3dm7 ; set nextmap vstr d3"
set d3 "map q3dm8; set nextmap vstr d4"
set d4 "map q3dm9 ; set nextmap vstr d5"
set d5 "map q3dm10 ; set nextmap vstr d6"
set d6 "map q3dm13 ; set nextmap vstr d7"
set d7 "map q3dm16 ; set nextmap vstr d8"
set d8 "map q3dm17 ; kick allbots; addbot anarki 3; addbot tankjr 3; addbot slash 3; addbot hunter 3; set nextmap vstr d1"

vstr d8

While that's not the most effective way of doing it, it gets the job done.  However, I still have the messed up models and the only class they get is Arena.

Here's the question.  Is there a way to add a bot with the random class using this scenario?  Or is there a better way?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-01, 20:25 »

hunkmegs higher then 64 ?

also note , that all the models have specific classes .

earth    razor,sarge,mynx,biker .
doom  doom, crash , klesk  , bones
slipgate ranger , keel , uriel .
strogg  grunt, major, tankjr , bitterman .
gladiator  anarki,slash , xaero , orbb , sorlag , lucy ,  hunter .

with other words , all the bots you just added to your server are gladiators exept tankjr who is strogg .
 Slipgate - RTFM
« Last Edit: 2004-07-01, 20:26 by games keeper » Logged
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-01, 20:35 »

I think you need to add more values to the commands, Coda.  
I believe the syntax is : bot, class, skill. (Doom, 2, 3) which would add a bot using the Doom botfile, using the Doom class, skill level 3.  I think it is possible to mix and match the botfiles and classes, but then the model defaults to the class default (IE: Doom, 5, 3 which would use the Doom botfile, class arena, skill level 3 - Dooms mind controling Sarge's body using Arena weapons)

It should be in the manual thing that came with Gen.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-01, 20:46 »

i just put on the console:

addbot sarge (sarge is just an example)

and bots appear in max difficulty.

EDIT : btw, before writting that make sure that the console caracter is in the console
« Last Edit: 2004-07-01, 20:48 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-01, 20:53 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] i just put on the console:

EDIT : btw, before writting that make sure that the console caracter is in the console
He's looking for a server cfg.

Specifically, he wants minplayer to add random bots at the beginning of each round.
« Last Edit: 2004-07-01, 20:55 by dna » Logged
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-01, 21:01 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] i just put on the console:

Accually, it defaults the bot's skill to Hardcore if a skill level is not specified when adding a bot. Putting a number after the bot's name selects difficulty:
1 - I can win
2 - Bring it on
3 - Hurt me plenty
4 - Hardcore
5 - Nightmare

Respectively. :]
Coda

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-01, 21:12 »

Quote from: games keeper
hunkmegs higher then 64 ?

also note , that all the models have specific classes .

earth    razor,sarge,mynx,biker .
doom  doom, crash , klesk  , bones
slipgate ranger , keel , uriel .
strogg  grunt, major, tankjr , bitterman .
gladiator  anarki,slash , xaero , orbb , sorlag , lucy ,  hunter .

with other words , all the bots you just added to your server are gladiators exept tankjr who is strogg .
 Slipgate - RTFM
Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm trying to set up a server, not play the mod.  In the manual there is a section for "Server Setup."  It doesn't say anything about bots in the server setup.  It's not a very intuitive manual layout if it's necessary for me to read every section to learn about setting up a server.

I appreciate the clarification about each model having a specific class but that still doesn't have anything to do with adding a bot that has a random class.  If I'm supposed to read the f***ing manual then I believe it would be fair for you to read the f***ing post.  Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2004-07-01, 21:14 by Coda » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-01, 21:18 »

/bot_minplayers X is really what you're looking for.

It should (and does for me) add random bots until X is reached. If the bots don't have a class defined, it won't load them. For example, if you have a custom model, gen won't load it because it doesn't have a class defined. You're limited to the stock q3 models. We do have custom skins however, and the 99e patch in august contains a whole bunch more.

Also, remember that the existing Q3 models are spread across the classes. As gameskeeper put it, the models, and the bots that go with them, are like this:

Code:
Earth: razor,sarge,mynx,biker .
Doom: doom, crash , klesk , bones
Slipgate: ranger , keel , uriel .
Strogg: grunt, major, tankjr , bitterman .
Gladiator: anarki,slash , xaero , orbb , sorlag , lucy , hunter .

If a model has multiple skins, any bot that corresponds to that skin falls under the same class as the base skin. For example, Doom and Phobos are both Doom class bots. Ranger and Wrack are Slipgate.

If you want a different set of random bots to load for every map, simply set /bot_minplayers to X and add "kick allbots" at the end of each line in the map rotation, and a new set will load after the bots have been kicked. If you want a specific set of bots to load for each map, do it the way you had in your post.

Be warned that loading multiple bots via config file is not recommended, and may cause crashes or odd behavior. This has been broken for a couple of releases, but we're not sure what broke it.

If you're having problems with all the models looking the same, check your com_hunkmegs setting. If you don't change it to something higher than 64, I can guarantee you will have problems with models getting mixed up. You may see a Slipgater running around with a chainsaw that shoots plasma, when it's actually a Strogger with the hyperblaster. com_hunkmegs is absolutely necessary in every possible way. Do not forget to change it.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-01, 21:20 »

Quote from: Coda
I appreciate the clarification about each model having a specific class but that still doesn't have anything to do with adding a bot that has a random class.  If I'm supposed to read the f***ing manual then I believe it would be fair for you to read the f***ing post.  Slipgate - Wink
Bots cannot be assigned a random class. Only players can be random.

You can, however, load up a random set of bots, as I outlined above.

And GK, be nice, ok? Slipgate - Wink
Coda

« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-01, 21:23 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
/bot_minplayers X is really what you're looking for.

If you want a different set of random bots to load for every map, simply set /bot_minplayers to X and add "kick allbots" at the end of each line in the map rotation, and a new set will load after the bots have been kicked. If you want a specific set of bots to load for each map, do it the way you had in your post.
That was exactly what I was looking for.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  Thank you, Con.

This is a normal Q3A question but is there a way to give bots alternate names using the bot_minplayers command?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-01, 21:26 »

Quote from: Coda
That was exactly what I was looking for.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  Thank you, Con.

This is a normal Q3A question but is there a way to give bots alternate names using the bot_minplayers command?
Your welcome.

In short, no.

In previous version of Gen, you could assign any bot to any class with any name, but it was so confusing (at least we had 1000000 questions about it)  that we took the command out in favor of the current  incarnation. Combined with the bot-load-via-config crash/behavior bug, bot support is rather lacking at the moment.

Most of the models in the game will eventually get custom animation stances for things like the dual gats and the various BFGs. This is another reason bots are locked into their class.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-01, 21:30 »

In addition, some maps are better with a different number of bots than others. You can change your bot_minplayers X setting to a different value in each line of your map rotation too, if you want.

So if you load up dreadwerkz (q3dm12) you could set minplayers to 10, yet have minplayers at 3 for q3dm1.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-02, 08:10 »

We're planning on improving map rotation handling down the road by making a list-based or perhaps even a script-style map config setup.  Nothing's been done in this area yet, but if the script-style system is ever implemented then server admins will have a lot more power over setting up maps, game options, and bots on a per-map basis.  This is for much later though, as it's a bit complex to implement and we don't have time to do it for .99e.  If nothing else we'll definitely be able to put in a list-style setup (again, post .99e) so each gameplay mode can have a separate map rotation config that auto-executes on gameplay mode change.  The idea is to just be able to list the maps and have the code cycle the order instead of all this stupid "vstr" crap.  We're hoping to be able to have random map rotation and linear rotation with a random initial map as options at that point.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2004-07-02, 09:00 »

And GK, be nice, ok? 

I'll try .  Slipgate - Sad
Coda

« Reply #14 on: 2004-07-02, 19:09 »

Quote from: Phoenix
We're planning on improving map rotation handling down the road by making a list-based or perhaps even a script-style map config setup.  Nothing's been done in this area yet, but if the script-style system is ever implemented then server admins will have a lot more power over setting up maps, game options, and bots on a per-map basis.  This is for much later though, as it's a bit complex to implement and we don't have time to do it for .99e.  If nothing else we'll definitely be able to put in a list-style setup (again, post .99e) so each gameplay mode can have a separate map rotation config that auto-executes on gameplay mode change.  The idea is to just be able to list the maps and have the code cycle the order instead of all this stupid "vstr" crap.  We're hoping to be able to have random map rotation and linear rotation with a random initial map as options at that point.
Excellent!  Thanks for the help. Slipgate - Smile
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #15 on: 2004-07-09, 07:20 »

I gave Confused Us some new bots, what happened to them? Is there a way to make specific bots enter a game? Where does the Sorlag model fit in?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-07-09, 13:11 »

Yeah you sent me a ton of new bots. We didn't need any of those.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #17 on: 2004-07-09, 21:21 »

Okie Dokey. Did they suck really bad? I've just got to know.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2004-07-09, 22:55 »

I dunno, I never really played with them
DD_133

Imp

« Reply #19 on: 2004-07-10, 18:44 »

Maybe we should have bots for all the new skins...I've created a few myself, like Sergeant using the veteran with helmet skin...but have no idea how to correctly make bot scripts so heh.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: