2024-03-29, 00:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you write a .shader file? (yes really... I don't know how)  (Read 8030 times)
..::WHAT!?

Ogre

« on: 2003-04-04, 08:34 »

Ok maybe its me maybe I am a little slow,  but I just don't know how to write a shader file  and this is really annoying me becuase I have my level done and it is actually loading from my skermish menu in game but when I get into the level, only 2 or 3 textures work, and the rest is all back with a white grid.  and to top it all off I screwed up my shader so bad that it takes away all menu textures except for the icons, levelshots, and buttons!

- HELP ME Fainting
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2003-04-04, 21:32 »

well usually q3 tells u what's wrong when loading the lvl check your console for warnings. i can't really help you since you did'nt post your shader here.
Also there's a program called q3ase or something that will help you with your shader making.

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: 2003-04-05, 07:09 »

Quote from: ReBoOt
well usually q3 tells u what's wrong when loading the lvl check your console for warnings. i can't really help you since you did'nt post your shader here.
Also there's a program called q3ase or something that will help you with your shader making.
Ok I downloaded Q3ase and I read pages of tutorials which ethier told me stuff that didn't help my situation or made no sense to me at all.  I don't understand why this is so difficult I have the directory stucture just as you stated all I want to do is point the game to the location of my textures so they will work on my level...

here are all of my textures names and their location:, I dunno if this will help you help me but it is about the best I can do considering I can't write a shader file to save my life.  - BTW  none of these are animated they are flat textures that just need to work in my game.

textures/d2l3_gen/metal_platedark.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/crate_1.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/crate_1_top.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/crate_2.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/crate_2_top.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/crate_6.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/crate_6_top.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/doom_UACwall_nologo.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/doom_door01_brown.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/doom_fleshwall_1.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/doom_teleport_3.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/ik_ground_pebbles128.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/j064_walk01.tga

textures/d2l3_gen/j128_met01.tga

textures/d2l3_gen/j128_metpan01.tga

textures/d2l3_gen/j128_metpan03.tga

textures/d2l3_gen/j128_metpan04.tga

textures/d2l3_gen/j384_poster_rustedfaith.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/j768_poster_ignorance.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/monitor_depot.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/posterbase02.tga

textures/d2l3_gen/than_button1.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/than_button1fx.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/than_button2.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/than_button2fx.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/DOORTRAK.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/FLAT10.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/LITE3.jpg

textures/d2l3_gen/LITE5.jpg

I should also tell you when I made the level in Q3Radiant I loaded all of these textures out of my base_custom directory - should this effect my map now that it is in it's own .pk3 with the textures?

EDIT:
===================
heh - yeah um I re-compiled my level and renamed it to base_custom... and all of the textures worked so I know what my problem is.  Ok well I am off to re-texture the whole damn thing out of the correct folder now :angry:

SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-sincerly  ..::WHAT!?  Fainting
« Last Edit: 2003-04-05, 10:16 by ..::WHAT!? » Logged

« Reply #3 on: 2003-04-05, 17:21 »

OMG! well it took me 6 hours  and a lot of coke-a-cola but I got it to work inside it's own .pk3!  here is a piccy!

- I had to adjust the color in PSP4 so the pic would look close to what I have in game... the pic came out "ok" - in game looks a lot better! Thumbs up!

I just have a few textures to refine... and I am going to go over it a few times and make sure I like what I see then after that, I think I may release it on ..::LvL  OR if someone here wants it for Version 99c of Generations Arena they are more then welcome to it  B)

- Please let me know what you think of the progress!
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-04-05, 19:11 »

1st of all when using custom textures it's good to place them in a folder that's named after your maps filename, it makes thing easier for you and you'll avoid to overwrite another custom map textures.

Well the maps looks very good!  Slipgate - Smile

Ogre

« Reply #5 on: 2003-04-08, 04:27 »

Hey, Thanks... Well the map is now done to my satisfaction,  I was just wondering if any of you know of a good free hosting service that will let me link to a .zip file, because I would like to post this at the beta section of ..::LvL  Any inf would be apreciated, - thanks!
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2003-04-09, 02:52 »

that'd be a bad ass addition to map pack 3

Ogre

« Reply #7 on: 2003-04-10, 23:05 »

Quote from: OmEgA-X
that'd be a bad ass addition to map pack 3
Hey thanks man, like I said I am more then willing to hand this level over for the Generations mod!  In fact thats one of the reasons I finished it Slipgate - Wink  I would like to contribute if I can.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-04-12, 04:55 »

Looks really nice!  Doom2 map03-ish.  I like the torches, too.  I certainly want to try this one out as soon as possible!  Hail

If you need some help with shaders, let me know.  Drop by #wirehead in IRC or better yet shoot me an email.  I've got a copy of the shader manual if you need also.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-04-23, 21:25 »

now i need to make some shaders .
shaders need to do the following .
it are 5 pics.
it has to show them in he right order.
1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5-...
it has to show every pc for 0.2 secs.
please help Slipgate - Sad
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2003-04-24, 13:22 »

you can just use a succession of images by using the animap keyword - if i'm not mistaken (so check that)

The process of making shaders is simple:
either:
a) do it the hard way (read the shader manual, understand shaders, code them by hand, like a man!)
B) use q3ase (there's special animation support in it for what you want in this particular case)
or
c) stroll about in id's pk3's, and look up the effect you want - and copy it. For example: the flames (in the fx scripts collection) you see in q3 use an animation sequence.
TIP: if you can't find a shader, look up the bitmap it uses, and look for the name in the shader files.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?

« Reply #11 on: 2003-04-24, 20:58 »

just then get it ??
wel lets studie this in the weekend .
maybe upload those textures i use 2 Slipgate - Smile
 but Im first have to go ask permission for it .

(it are original sintextures.
and by surprise some of them fit pretty well in q3 nd sof . altough there from a q2 engine game .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: